BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

11-04-2017, 09:00 PM   #67
Ggeezer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
After two not so great engine mount experiences (manufacturing quality issues both times), I'm finally ready to try another set. For the one track weekend I experienced aftermarket mounts during, they were great, my car felt extremely dialed in.

Trying to decide between the AKG Poly mounts and Black Forest Industries Stage II or III. I only drive my car on the street 3-4 times a month now so NVH is not a huge concern, I still want some semblance of street-ability though.

Anyone have any feedback on the BFI mounts? ilikebmxbikes I recall you mentioning them in another thread, did you go Stage II, any thoughts?
What was the issue with your Vibra Technics mounts?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 09:25 PM   #68
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

just to reflect back on my vibra technics mounts- when i had my rod bearings done they were in good shape.
aus886.50
      11-05-2017, 12:57 PM   #69
Ggeezer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
just to reflect back on my vibra technics mounts- when i had my rod bearings done they were in good shape.
Good to know. I'm thinking of picking some up from the group but going on.

I'm at 53k on my 08 so I think they're due for a change.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #70
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Group buy info here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...2&postcount=27
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 11:15 AM   #71
Mvez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe

Just installed a set of BW mounts and I don't find them offensive at all. Much less vibration than the Rogue poly mounts, and they will soften up a bit more unlike the poly. Happy with them.
'15 FRS - Sprint racecar
'00 Miata - Enduro racecar
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 01:09 PM   #72
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTSx2/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvez View Post
Just installed a set of BW mounts and I don't find them offensive at all. Much less vibration than the Rogue poly mounts, and they will soften up a bit more unlike the poly. Happy with them.
I've been running the BW ones as well for a year and pretty happy with them. Barely noticeable over stock and only at idle. Everywhere else it's more immediate but never harsh.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 02:08 PM   #73
jid2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP

I installed the BW mounts this weekend during my rod bearing install and find them seriously harsh. There is significant vibration and noise at idle and during clutch transitions (with DCT). I saw some comments about the torque on the top nut, is it possible I went too far?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 02:32 PM   #74
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jid2 View Post
I installed the BW mounts this weekend during my rod bearing install and find them seriously harsh. There is significant vibration and noise at idle and during clutch transitions (with DCT). I saw some comments about the torque on the top nut, is it possible I went too far?
likely they need to break in. Mine did during a couple thousand miles, although the only time they were harsh was at idle

With a raised idle I would be hard pressed to notice the difference
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #75
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jid2 View Post
likely they need to break in. Mine did during a couple thousand miles, although the only time they were harsh was at idle

With a raised idle I would be hard pressed to notice the difference
FWIW - I have them and also don't find them to be harsh (I have DCT). Something could be wrong with your install.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 11:23 AM   #76
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
FWIW - I have them and also don't find them to be harsh (I have DCT). Something could be wrong with your install.
I'm also DCT

On my 6MT car I replaced with OEM as that's supposed to be a street car
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 05:36 AM   #77
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Has anyone tried (or thought about trying) solid engine and transmission mounts, e.g. something similar to these

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...ion-mount-set/

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...ion-mount-kit/

And the solid diff mounts:
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/Sea...sedClearance=1

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...2-e9x-f22-f3x/

To suit an occasional street driven car with compromises for track use.
Also on an auto/steptronic/DCT.

Turner currently has these for 15% off - today is possibly the last day for the sale.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 06:58 AM   #78
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Those look miserable. Major compromises. Definitely a track car only thing. If your only street driving is to the track and you don’t really care about NVH at idle and lower rpm where it is noticeable because you are never at idle or low rpm because race car then go ahead. Solid motor and trans mounts are really dedicated racecar parts.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 01:33 PM   #79
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I just put solid engine and trans mounts in my E46 M3. No track time yet but it quite loud. Again, the shifting is much improved.

I'm sure throttle response is improved but I can't perceive any difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I have run them on my E36M3, which uses the same mounts as an E9xM3, for about 5 years. They add some NVH noticeable at low rpm. More than Bimmerworld Group N replicas, which I have also run.

Poly motor mounts, even the AKG 75D, are not offensive to me on a daily driver. Bolt through or solid mounts are.

On the E36M3, I tried red poly bolt through trans mounts, and could not get them out of the car fast enough. I would go softer on the trans mounts, which are essentially rear engine mounts, than on the engine mounts, for a street driven car.

Same goes for subframe and diff mounts. Go hard on the subframe mounts and softer on the diff mounts or you will get whine you may not like. Probably more whine than vibration.

If it is a race car, solid mount everything and buzz away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Solid or poly motor mounts should be OK for most DD'ing. Its the trans mounts that really start to add a lot of buzzing and vibration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaylonM3 View Post
I have the BW solid motors and trans mounts along with the BW solid race shifter. Best mod on my car thus far. Causes a lot of vibration (especially right after the install) but the whining sounds and noises that comes with this mod is phenomenal. I'd definitely recommend getting the shifter as well.

Quote:
Those look miserable. Major compromises. Definitely a track car only thing. If your only street driving is to the track and you don’t really care about NVH at idle and lower rpm where it is noticeable because you are never at idle or low rpm because race car then go ahead. Solid motor and trans mounts are really dedicated racecar parts.
Thanks for the reply. I've also quoted one of your previous posts that mentioned the same.

Street driving is a bit more than just to the track. I have solid RSFBs, which didn't increase NVH, and a solid diff brace, which added whine but it's not noticeable (to me) so I would think solid diff mounts won't increase NVH any further.

It's the engine and trans mounts that I've been trying to find feedback on and I've included a few more comments from this thread. Street driving is generally in the 2000-4000 (or higher) RPM range. I'd expect noise at idle would be more noticeable but a raised idle may reduce/eliminate that.
What range do you class as "low rpm"?

I was also particularly interested in bigjae1976's comments that solid ending mounts should be fine for most street driving but it's the trans mounts that start to increase NVH, and also his feedback on the solid engine/trans mounts in his E46 M3 18 months later. I was also of the impression that engine and trans mounts solidity should be matched.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 02:39 PM   #80
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Ask syt shadow since he has the Bimmerworld mounts on one car and new stock on another car. On my E36M3, I run Vorshlag 75D poly motor mounts with a 900 rpm idle speed and they are fine. On my E90M3 I tried Rogue motor mounts that are not as stiff as the Vorshlag and removed them because they added NVH that I considered objectionable but I did notice that if I held the idle at 800-900, they were fine. If you can get a custom tune with raised idle, I think stiffer mounts would be ok on the street. With the E36M3 I have tried a few trans mounts and found that I could not go as stiff on the trans mounts as on the motor mounts before NVH became intolerable for a driver, and I do run a higher idle speed on that car.

I recently bought some 80A trans mounts to try on the E90M3 and should have them on this weekend and will report how I like them. The stock trans mounts are really squishy even new ones, and that may be for a reason. I’ll find out soon.

I don’t think engine and trans mounts solidity should be matched. I think trans mounts should be softer than engine mounts. Except on a race car. Don’t worry - you will know right away if it is too much. I have over modded cars before to the point where I don’t want to drive them as much. I try to avoid that now.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #81
Captain
Australia
Rep

Thanks! That's some really good information. It makes me think solid will be bearable on the street. Please post back your thoughts after you install the 80A trans mounts on your E90 M3.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 04:54 PM   #82
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Solid motor or trans mounts would not be bearable on the street to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 05:04 PM   #83
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

I just picked up AKG 75D motor mounts and 95A transmission mounts and plan to install them in January. My car doesn't see much street time anymore though. To/from the office a few times a month to keep the battery charged and then to/from "local" tracks. Hoping my ~3 hour drive to COTA and a bit further to Cresson are still bearable, tbd.

If I was doing more street driving I would probably go Bimmerworld Group N or BFI StageII (85a) engine mounts and stock transmission mounts.
      12-15-2017, 09:30 PM   #84
XCUSE_M3
Cruisin slow
Rep
Drives: Its a M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
I just picked up AKG 75D motor mounts and 95A transmission mounts and plan to install them in January. My car doesn't see much street time anymore though. To/from the office a few times a month to keep the battery charged and then to/from "local" tracks. Hoping my ~3 hour drive to COTA and a bit further to Cresson are still bearable, tbd.

If I was doing more street driving I would probably go Bimmerworld Group N or BFI StageII (85a) engine mounts and stock transmission mounts.
Who do you run with at Cresson?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 08:49 AM   #85
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I recently bought some 80A trans mounts to try on the E90M3 and should have them on this weekend and will report how I like them. The stock trans mounts are really squishy even new ones, and that may be for a reason. IÂ’ll find out soon.
Did you end up installing the 80A trans mounts on your E90 on the weekend?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 09:02 AM   #86
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Yes and I don’t like them at all. Fine at idle and up to a little before 2000. Very noticeable vibration from 2000-3000. Tapers off after that but still there. Would be great for a track car or a car that is street driven only occasionally to the track. But one if those mods that takes a lot away from comfortable daily driving since you cannot avoid going through 2000-3000 rpm range repeatedly in daily driving.

I will remove them. I don’t think poly “breaks in.” I may first try retorquing them since sometimes too much torque on trans mounts adds vibration and just the right torque does not.
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1471.50
      12-18-2017, 09:06 AM   #87
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Running motor mounts that vibrate at idle and trans mounts that vibrate off idle is a good way to ruin a street car. If you actually drive the car, the vibration gets old fast. If you just drive it for an hour on the weekends and pretend it’s a race car and you are adding a whole lot of performance because the car now vibrates, then I guess it does not matter. If you really have a track car that is street legal just to get you to the track then it is also OK.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2017, 12:12 PM   #88
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Solid engine mounts aren't that bad. Lightweight flywheels are much worse. You get more exhaust noise.

My theory with solid trans mounts is the tranny is right under you so you're closer to the noise. If it were me, I would not get solid engine mounts if I didn't have another car to drive regularly. Otherwise, I'd do it unless you like to listen to the radio more than engine noise.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0