BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-09-2019, 12:58 PM   #1
Ringtaxi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

KW Clubsport 2 way setup

Hey guys,

Just installed KW Clubsport 2 way on my e92 m3 with style 513 18" wheels. I'm currently running 255 and 275 tires. I did the install myself everything went smooth but I am trying to find the right bump/rebound and ride height. Anyone have good setup numbers? The manual recommends 6 front 9 rear "open" for rebound and 1 full turn for bump. Im assuming this means closing these settings by turning clockwise till stop and then opening counterclockwise with the above recommended clicks. Would like some recommendations on ride height as well.

I live in NY so roads are not the best but this is a weekend car that goes to track few times a year.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 07:50 PM   #2
Ringtaxi
Private First Class
Rep

I also need to know what is the factory camber setting on the KW clubsports. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 06:20 PM   #3
M3ANMACHINE
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5

There's really no "one size fits all" setting for suspensions.
You should get the car corner balanced after selecting a ride height which suits your personal preferences.
If you are primarily driving this car on the street, definitely go with alignment settings near stock, possibly slightly more aggressive than stock. Generally around -2.5F/-1.8R is a common setup for dual purpose driving. There's no "factory" KW CS camber settings, it is only the factory vehicle setting that really matters.

In regards to dampening settings, I recommend starting in the middle, and adjusting to your own preferences.

Best of luck!
2011 SG E90 M3 | 2008 AW E90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 08:51 AM   #4
Ringtaxi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANMACHINE View Post
You should get the car corner balanced after selecting a ride height which suits your personal preferences.
If you are primarily driving this car on the street, definitely go with alignment settings near stock, possibly slightly more aggressive than stock. Generally around -2.5F/-1.8R is a common setup for dual purpose driving. There's no "factory" KW CS camber settings, it is only the factory vehicle setting that really matters.

In regards to dampening settings, I recommend starting in the middle, and adjusting to your own preferences.

Best of luck!
When I say the factory camber setting I am asking what is the degree of angle that this kit comes with already selected. Also what kind of rake is recommended as well. I will get the car aligned properly after I get new tires after winter in the mean time trying my best to set it up. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 11:04 AM   #5
M3ANMACHINE
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringtaxi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANMACHINE View Post

Best of luck!
When I say the factory camber setting I am asking what is the degree of angle that this kit comes with already selected. Also what kind of rake is recommended as well. I will get the car aligned properly after I get new tires after winter in the mean time trying my best to set it up. Thanks
There is no specific camber which comes from kw for the coilovers as you can simply move the camber plate around with your hand while the suspension is off the car.
2011 SG E90 M3 | 2008 AW E90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 11:27 AM   #6
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

For adjusting the dampening, you're correct: fully close them then open them the number of clicks KW recommends, it's a good baseline to start with.

With regards to alignment, it depends on how aggressive you want to get.. Around -3*F/-2.2*R would be a good starting point, go less if you want to drive the car on the road more regularly. The kits camber for the front will be based on your existing camber, then you can use the camber plates to increase it from there.

Rake wise you'll want to be between 1/4"-1/8" positive rake (front lower then the rear). Bimmerworld recommends measuring this difference from the F vs. R jack points.

Last edited by tsk94; 09-13-2019 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 09:17 AM   #7
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Wouldn't that be positive rake if the front is lower?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #8
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmx View Post
Wouldn't that be positive rake if the front is lower?
Yes, you're correct. Typo of my end

Expanding on ride heights and rake. I've found they made a significant difference in the handling balance of the car. At the start of the season I had a much more aggressive rake set on the car (rear higher compared to where it is now, front has remained the same). It was a new race car build so our baselines were very much baseline starting points.. The car was was very pointy on the front end and the rear was very loose from corner entry to mid corner. In addition to sway bar tweaks, lowering the rear to where it is now - currently running 1/8" rake - made a massive difference in rear end stability. This is often an overlooked and seemingly rarely talked about method for tuning handling balance. The same can could be done if the car was understeering, either lower the front or raise the rear to promote more rotation (less understeer).

Last edited by tsk94; 09-13-2019 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 04:07 AM   #9
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
Yes, you're correct. Typo of my end

Expanding on ride heights and rake. I've found they made a significant difference in the handling balance of the car. At the start of the season I had a much more aggressive rake set on the car (rear higher compared to where it is now, front has remained the same). It was a new race car build so our baselines were very much baseline starting points.. The car was was very pointy on the front end and the rear was very loose from corner entry to mid corner. In addition to sway bar tweaks, lowering the rear to where it is now - currently running 1/8" rake - made a massive difference in rear end stability. This is often an overlooked and seemingly rarely talked about method for tuning handling balance. The same can could be done if the car was understeering, either lower the front or raise the rear to promote more rotation (less understeer).
Yea, I run quite a bit of rake hoping to get that effect. I haven't gone rakeless for comparison, but with the rake the car just seems to rotate itself beautifully on turns with faster entry speeds. Could be considered slightly loose but I like it.