BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-22-2018, 09:10 PM   #1
AP3X_FTW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Hardware For Race Seats - Master Guide

Surprised to find that a search yielded few results with real useful information, and it would be nice to have a master seat hardware thread to compile everyone's thoughts and experiences.

I have had RECARO PP / SPG seats a couple times over the years, and each time I used the provided RECARO side mounts and sliders an paired them with Macht Schnell floor mounts. This time around I have RaceTech 4009HR (driver) & 4009W (passenger) seats with "stealth covers" coming, and not quite sure how I want to address hardware.

I will be running harnesses and hans, but will keep the factory 3 points in place for occasional weekend driving. I do not necessarily need sliders since this is not a daily driver, and I also like a lower seating position anyways (the stock E92 seats are like driving a school bus due to the folding mechanisms).

RECARO and Sparco seats, followed by Cobra seem to be the most popular within the M community, but who here is running RaceTech seats? I have heard a few times that you must purchase RaceTech's side mounts for their seats, is that true? Most race seat manufactures offer side mounts, and it probably makes sense just to go with them since they are made specially for their seats. Any objections?

What floor mounts do you like, and why? What has worked well for you, what has failed or caused problems? Little to no flex and safety is priority of course.

Popular Floor Mounts:
VAC
Macht Schnell
Wedge Engineering
Bimmerworld
Brey-Krause - Floor mounts and side mounts built in one. Leaning in this direction if I can get confirmation they work with the RT seats

For those running 6 pt harnesses, did you need to buy sub brackets additionally or were they designed into your seat base?

For Sale - E92 M3 Full Black Interior Part Out

Last edited by AP3X_FTW; 08-22-2018 at 11:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11567.00
      08-22-2018, 10:30 PM   #2
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Brey Krause is all you need to consider. Everything else is mediocre compared. BK has sub strap and lap belt accessories to accommodate. Using OE sliders is so smooth, plus they go in and out with ease. I can't tell you how much I cursed the other mounting options. I have used Recaro, Vac and Cobra side mounts, Recaro, Sparco and Vac sliders, Vac, Macht Schnell and Planted floor mounts. The BK solution is far easier to use and yields far better results.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 08-22-2018 at 11:31 PM..
Appreciate 4
M3MPH1S592.00
SYT_Shadow11403.00
dparm3848.00
roastbeef11567.00
      08-22-2018, 11:02 PM   #3
SQ13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I have BK fixed mounts and sub strap bars. I think they’re great..other options look like a PITA to use, but I can install or remove my seat in less than five mins. You can also get pretty low with them.

You probably have a different body shape than me, but I think Racetech seats fit me very well and are the most comfortable seats I’ve sat in.

Edit: I’m looking at the dimensions of the standard sized seat, and I don’t see why it wouldn’t work with a BK seat mount. 400 mm seat width would work with the 395–409 mm mounts. If seat width is staggered, you can add washers to square up the seat mounts (someone let me know if this is an acceptable solution)? I think not using RT seat mounts will make the setup non-FIA compliant, but I don’t think anyone here is competing in an FIA racing series.

https://racetech-usa.com/shop/seats/...torsport-seats

Last edited by SQ13; 08-22-2018 at 11:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 11:45 PM   #4
AP3X_FTW
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Brey Krause is all you need to consider. Everything else is mediocre compared. BK has sub strap and lap belt accessories to accommodate. Using OE sliders is so smooth, plus they go in and out with ease. I can't tell you how much I cursed the other mounting options. I have used Recaro, Vac and Cobra side mounts, Recaro, Sparco and Vac sliders, Vac, Macht Schnell and Planted floor mounts. The BK solution is far easier to use and yields far better results.
Great to hear. I have heard really good things about the BK floor mounts which are compatible with the OE sliders - very cool feature. I imagine you still get a lower seating position with this configuration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
I have BK fixed mounts and sub strap bars. I think they’re great..other options look like a PITA to use, but I can install or remove my seat in less than five mins. You can also get pretty low with them.

You probably have a different body shape than me, but I think Racetech seats fit me very well and are the most comfortable seats I’ve sat in.

Edit: I’m looking at the dimensions of the standard sized seat, and I don’t see why it wouldn’t work with a BK seat mount. 400 mm seat width would work with the 395–409 mm mounts. If seat width is staggered, you can add washers to square up the seat mounts (someone let me know if this is an acceptable solution)? I think not using RT seat mounts will make the setup non-FIA compliant, but I don’t think anyone here is competing in an FIA racing series.

https://racetech-usa.com/shop/seats/...torsport-seats
Agreed, I was just looking at the chart and it seems to fit within BK's parameters with ease. I am going to contact BK tomorrow to see if they can verify compatibility.

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 11:55 PM   #5
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP3X_FTW View Post
Great to hear. I have heard really good things about the BK floor mounts which are compatible with the OE sliders - very cool feature. I imagine you still get a lower seating position with this configuration?
Yes, you can get a low seating position. I will say that my current seat height is a little higher than I would like but I have sufficient helmet room (I'm 5'11"). I have lower mounting points available on the side mounts but I think that the position of the sub-strap mount could limit how low I can place the seat. I have been meaning to look at that more closely and will try to do so on Friday.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 05:21 AM   #6
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, you can get a low seating position. I will say that my current seat height is a little higher than I would like but I have sufficient helmet room (I'm 5'11"). I have lower mounting points available on the side mounts but I think that the position of the sub-strap mount could limit how low I can place the seat. I have been meaning to look at that more closely and will try to do so on Friday.
I have tried the BK sub strap bar. beautiful piece.

And I have the BK bracket mounted on the OEM power mount. Awesome.

The only way I can get the sub strap bar to work is if I mount the Recaro on the 4th holes. The seat almost touches the ceiling. Way too high.

(As you expect based on my other thread, I tried the seat in Every hole combination to try to get the sub strap to work)

I use the first hole in the front and the second hole in the back and I'm long torso 5'10"

My only option for sub strap 6-point is to drill the floor, but I don't want to lose the subwoofer. It is going to be a project.
Appreciate 1
AP3X_FTW212.50
      08-24-2018, 09:46 PM   #7
AP3X_FTW
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post

The only way I can get the sub strap bar to work is if I mount the Recaro on the 4th holes. The seat almost touches the ceiling. Way too high.

(As you expect based on my other thread, I tried the seat in Every hole combination to try to get the sub strap to work)

I use the first hole in the front and the second hole in the back and I'm long torso 5'10"

My only option for sub strap 6-point is to drill the floor, but I don't want to lose the subwoofer. It is going to be a project.

Appreciate the feedback. I contacted BK in regards to the two different types of floor mounts, and this was their reply:

"RaceTech is the only brand of seats that sometimes has different front/rear mount bolt hole distances than every other seat on the market. From what I've seen to date, this has been limited to their 1000 series of seats, but if you could measure the distance between the front/rear hole I can confirm. That said, almost certainly it'll work.

The sub strap clearance varies by the seat-- with the seat having a flat bottom like the 4009W, it likely will need to be in a high position to clear the sub strap. In cases like that, unless you're short, the above slider sub strap mount isn't a great option-- in that case, I'd go straight to the floor. Annoyingly, the is just no way to mount the sub strap lower with the stock sliders.

To make the R-9280 be able to clear the tunnel with wide seats, we had to place the seat slightly off center (outboard). Since your seats are in the narrow end of the R-9280's range, I'd go with one R-9280 and one R-9281. By combing the parts from both, you can put the seat back on center on both the driver and passenger side, without spending any extra, and need less spacers (probably none).

Or, you could use the R-9260 without sliders, which will allow plenty of space for our sub strap mount with any seat-- but at the expense of sliders."

Confirmation that it is not possible to use middle to lower mounting holes on the R-9280 floor mounts with OEM sliders due to the sub bar floor clearance (unless you have a seat that does not have a flat bottom). This in combination with the seat needing to be offset to clear the trans tunnel is enough motivation for me to use R-9260 mounts directly to the floor - at lest for the drivers seat.

Last edited by AP3X_FTW; 08-25-2018 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
slicer2730.00
      09-23-2018, 11:11 PM   #8
AP3X_FTW
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thread update. Racetech 4009W seats do not work with Brey Krause R-9260 seat mounts, despite the seat falling into the allowable width range outlined by BK. The distance between the mounting holes on the seat are about 1/3" further apart than the BK mounts unfortunately.

It looks like I'll be running Racetech mounts and the BK sub strap bar afterall. The Racetech mounts are silver, otherwise I would have gotten them in the first place. Since everything in the car is black and I have a bit of OCD, I was really hoping the BK's would work out.

I'll just powder coat the Racetechs

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 11:38 AM   #9
SQ13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Thread update. Racetech 4009W seats do not work with Brey Krause R-9260 seat mounts, despite the seat falling into the allowable width range outlined by BK. The distance between the mounting holes on the seat are about 1/3" further apart than the BK mounts unfortunately.

It looks like I'll be running Racetech mounts and the BK sub strap bar afterall. The Racetech mounts are silver, otherwise I would have gotten them in the first place. Since everything in the car is black and I have a bit of OCD, I was really hoping the BK's would work out.

I'll just powder coat the Racetechs
Can you elongate the slots on the BK mounts?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 01:02 PM   #10
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post

I did a sub strap bar modification for the BK to get the seat lower & am VERY happy now.
(more info here)

Name:  BK_seat-mounts.jpg
Views: 2486
Size:  900.5 KB
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 04:04 PM   #11
AP3X_FTW
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
Can you elongate the slots on the BK mounts?
I am actually going to explore this option tonight. I believe the front slots on the BK mounts are already pretty close to to the edge, but it might be feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
I did a sub strap bar modification for the BK to get the seat lower & am VERY happy now.
(more info here)
Thats good work. I do not plan to use sliders, so this concern does not come up. With that said, this is a great solution for anyone wanting to run sliders but do not want to run the seat in too high of a mounting position due to the sub strap mount. I might do this for the passenger side as it would be nice to have that seat on sliders.

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 06:59 PM   #12
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTSx2/X5M

Quote:
This man speaks the truth

I bought the full Recaro sliders plus the Macht Schnell seat mount hardware and it was a bunch of shit. There's no better way to put it.

The experience with BK seat mounts that allow you to reuse OEM sliders is light years away from those dark days.

The BK stuff is so superior that if a seat I wanted to buy does not work with BK mounts I will look for another seat. It is a night and day difference
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 08:42 PM   #13
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Here is an alternate sub strap location for the BK sub strap. Ian from BK REALLY liked this solution, but it modify the OEM bracket.
Credit goes to Autocouture..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 01:56 PM   #14
MPower7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' e92 M3

If I have power sliders would using the BK sliders for OEM retain the power sliders? What If I want to use the BK sliders with a manual slider and not power to remove most of the weight there. Would I have to source bmw oem manual sliders then attach the BK seat mounts to the new manual sliders?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 02:08 PM   #15
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower7 View Post
If I have power sliders would using the BK sliders for OEM retain the power sliders? What If I want to use the BK sliders with a manual slider and not power to remove most of the weight there. Would I have to source bmw oem manual sliders then attach the BK seat mounts to the new manual sliders?
If you have oem power sliders, you need BK side mounts and e30 switch, and wires to retain the power functions.

You could use the same BK side mounts on a pair of oem manual sliders too. Just need to source those which can be hard. Look for i3 seat mount on eBay.
      06-15-2021, 10:55 AM   #16
Mr_Reeves
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I have VAC floor adaptors with Recaro sliders and VAC side mounts. I'm really happy with this setup although it is expensive!

Brey-Krause unfortunately do not have an official supplier here in the UK otherwise I would have looked into them.

I am quite interested in their harness assembly for the E90 though as they seem to be the only people who make one. $800 though!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 05:52 PM   #17
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Bride also makes a bottom and side mount with sliders built in.

It should fit a bunch of seats as well. One of the locals theunholy has it in his car and its nice quality.

https://www.dsgperformance.com/bride...2-us-passenger
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 05:59 PM   #18
MPower7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' e92 M3

Anyone here use the Sparco seat base, sparco sliders, and sparco side mounts with a sparco seat (qrt-r). I want a direct seat swap so I do not have to take apart the stock seat ideas to use power for the BK mounts.

Last edited by MPower7; 08-17-2021 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 12:13 AM   #19
E90SpcGryM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 11’ E90 M3 ZCP Slicktop 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
(more info here)

Attachment 1905149

Sorry to bump up an old thread but what exactly was the modification you made? I can’t seem to follow. Thnx!
Appreciate 0