BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

07-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #23
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswy6 View Post
But how do they make money? I mean, do any of track guys take advantage of this? Free rotors seems to be too good to be true lol
A lot of the parts people buy are one time replacements. Also take into affect that when shipping parts back there is a chance of the shipping company to lose your mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
they are legit. their prices are slightly higher for parts than ecs tuning, turner, etc.. probably half the way they keep in business with this business model is people forget or put it off until they don't care.
That depends. Most items do have a slightly higher price but not all.

IE; PreCat O2s were cheaper on FCP than ECS. Approx $10USD.
      07-09-2018, 08:32 PM   #24
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Quote:
Hey guys,

Quick question here. About to order brakes for my M3 and initially i wanted to order PFC Direct drive rotors but now thinking about FCP Euro lifetime replacement. Did anyone have an experience with them? What if i purchase 4 rotors and kill them on the track, will they replace them for free? Do they care what brake pads i use on the rotors?
How does FCP Euro manage to make money if they replace stuff for free? Where is the trick

Thanks

There is no comparison between a PFC DD rotor and the OEM/OEM equivalent stuff FCP sells. The PFC rotor is going to cool massively better and handle hard track use for a long time before it needs replacement.

And yes, the OEM rotors would be covered if you tracked them:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee
How many track days would you think they will hold? (beginner level) and how many sets of brake pads will they survive? (PFC 11 equivalent or whatever their streetable version is)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 08:48 PM   #25
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
How many track days would you think they will hold? (beginner level) and how many sets of brake pads will they survive? (PFC 11 equivalent or whatever their streetable version is)

You'll probably get more info if you look in the track forum. I know there are guys that are using the same set for 20-30 events.

PFC11 is a track pad and will consume rotors faster on the street (abrasive friction mode instead of adhesive friction mode).

They'll run a lot cooler than the OEM rotors which is going to make a measurable difference. Consumable costs will go down, but the performance will be better than OEM on the track.
      07-09-2018, 08:58 PM   #26
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Quote:

You'll probably get more info if you look in the track forum. I know there are guys that are using the same set for 20-30 events.

PFC11 is a track pad and will consume rotors faster on the street (abrasive friction mode instead of adhesive friction mode).

They'll run a lot cooler than the OEM rotors which is going to make a measurable difference. Consumable costs will go down, but the performance will be better than OEM on the track.
20-30 events on a track pad? Might start with replacing rear rotors for now and chose the PFC in favor free replacement from FCP.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 09:20 PM   #27
Grip Addict
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M3

how old are they?

I feel like I have only heard of FCP Euro in the last year?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 09:23 PM   #28
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
I've been using them for most my parts now. Haven't gotten to use the warranty yet, but their prices are quite competitive with the free s/h anyhow.
      07-09-2018, 09:36 PM   #29
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
20-30 events on a track pad? Might start with replacing rear rotors for now and chose the PFC in favor free replacement from FCP.

Sorry, I meant 20-30 track days on a single set of rotors. Pad longevity will vary greatly based on your driving skill, the tracks you frequent, tires, the pad compound itself, etc.
      07-09-2018, 09:38 PM   #30
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
how old are they?

I feel like I have only heard of FCP Euro in the last year?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/the-fcp-story

They've been around in some form since the 80s, but I would say that they have been making a big push lately to eat into sales from the big guys like ECS/Turner, Tischer, etc.
      07-09-2018, 09:41 PM   #31
Grip Addict
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/the-fcp-story

They've been around in some form since the 80s, but I would say that they have been making a big push lately to eat into sales from the big guys like ECS/Turner, Tischer, etc.
or alternatively it is a "if we do not do something nuts, we will go bankrupt" push
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 10:24 PM   #32
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I plan to use their Lifetime Warranty on the Oil since they boast about it so much. I'm buying basically any maintenance items from them. I plan to order Castrol SRF from them and replace it annually with my oil.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 08:33 AM   #33
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
their prices are slightly higher for parts than ecs tuning, turner, etc.. probably half the way they keep in business with this business model is people forget or put it off until they don't care.
That's not universally true however. Their OEM BMW parts have typically been cheaper than ECS--I've been buying wheel speed sensors like they're going out of style recently and have directly compared the two. Plus I have found the shipping to be a little cheaper with FCP.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 08:39 AM   #34
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
A lot of the parts people buy are one time replacements. Also take into affect that when shipping parts back there is a chance of the shipping company to lose your mail.

That depends. Most items do have a slightly higher price but not all.

IE; PreCat O2s were cheaper on FCP than ECS. Approx $10USD.
Which parts are one time replacements? Are rotors?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #35
Powashiftin
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

If it hasn't been said before, I believe they price match as well. I've purchased parts from them and they've been great. Haven't had to return anything yet under their warranty though.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 10:06 AM   #36
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycplumber View Post
Which parts are one time replacements? Are rotors?
Nothing they sell is only a one time replacement.

He means that many parts an owner will buy (except consumables) don't need to be replaced more than once. If a window motor goes out, you probably won't find yourself replacing it again.

You can buy and return rotors 50x if necessary.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 10:08 AM   #37
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

I just hope those who return their used oil won't ruin it for the rest of us.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 10:25 AM   #38
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
I just hope those who return their used oil won't ruin it for the rest of us.
I don't see how that would "ruin" it for everyone else. They have a model so they understand how it affects their business. They have been around for awhile now and people said they wouldn't last.

Hell, they even made a youtube video how to do it.

Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 2
XKxRome0ox1587.50
shmad111.50
      07-10-2018, 11:16 AM   #39
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

it's possible that someone tries to game the system and return oil from not just one car but multiple cars that use the same oil and filter
how can FCP tell for sure? i have no idea
they probably can't
but if people started returning engine oil kits every month or 2, then FCP might put limitations on the policy
that'd screw it up for everyone

that's just one possibility i can think of

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #40
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
it's possible that someone tries to game the system and return oil from not just one car but multiple cars that use the same oil and filter
they probably can't
but if people started returning engine oil kits every month or 2, then FCP might put limitations on the policy

That's a lot of work...

Personally, it feels kinda wrong to send back these sorts of consumable items like oil and filters.

Does anyone else feel this way? I can understand the warranty for sensors or other parts, but oil??

That being said, I had my TAs replaced under warranty but should they go out again, I will def buy replacements from FCP Euro!
      07-10-2018, 11:51 AM   #41
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincE92M3 View Post
That's a lot of work...

Personally, it feels kinda wrong to send back these sorts of consumable items like oil and filters.

Does anyone else feel this way? I can understand the warranty for sensors or other parts, but oil??

That being said, I had my TAs replaced under warranty but should they go out again, I will def buy replacements from FCP Euro!
There's money to be made in the recycling of stuff! I get paid for someone to come and pick up my scrap for me. I'd be curious if the FCP guys have another business under another name that recycles.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 12:00 PM   #42
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Quote:
That's a lot of work...

There's money to be made in the recycling of stuff! I get paid for someone to come and pick up my scrap for me. I'd be curious if the FCP guys have another business under another name that recycles.
Interesting! Mind sharing info on who comes to pick up your consumables?

I've been recycling my oil at Advanced Auto Parts. They've been making a fortune off of me! Haha
      07-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #43
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
they probably can't

As mentioned above that's a lot of work. Not many people are willing to drain their old oil, pack it up, and drive it to the post office (and pay return shipping). Only the DIYers would be in for this anyway. I doubt my Indy Mechanic would be willing to fill up the old bottles...wouldn't even ask to be honest. Not for $80 of product.

I'm pretty sure FCP doesn't even run into this problem. Otherwise they'd more than likely have a policy where fluids couldn't be returned more than 2-3x per year for the same car.

For something like oil I just don't do it often enough to make a return worth it.

If it were something really hurting them it simply wouldn't be offered.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 07:23 PM   #44
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting! Mind sharing info on who comes to pick up your consumables?

I've been recycling my oil at Advanced Auto Parts. They've been making a fortune off of me! Haha
Sorry I should have specified. I mean at my plant (work), I get paid for someone to come and pick up our "scrap." Aluminum, copper, steel, all that jazz. There's a huge business in recycling goods. Those rotors aren't light!
Appreciate 0