BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

02-28-2017, 02:57 PM   #23
E93M3ofSFL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 F10 , 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmppdx View Post
This issue can also cause your car to stall suddenly and there is a recall on it for the regular three series, but not the M3 for what ever reason.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=804545

I'm having issues with mine so I'm going to do an DIY in the next week or so. Mine didn't cause the car to stall, but it completely lost power a couple times when it was just sitting. Once it happened over night, the other time it was only an hour after I had driven it. Both times the power came back on immediately once I jiggled the fuse box.
I am having same issue now , I know this thread is old , OP did not post outcome , having same symptoms
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 05:10 PM   #24
BGBF18
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoasterFuelPhil View Post
Hey everyone,

So I have a strange issue with the M3. Today I went to start it up, and it started up fine; battery didn't seem to be fully charged as I haven't driven it in a month. All was fine and the car seemed to drive fine until about 10 minutes later when I was doing 60mph on the highway, the car said "Increased battery discharge" on the i-drive screen. About a minute after that the ABS, traction control, EDC, check engine lights came on.

I pulled over and coasted in neutral on an off ramp to try to get off the highway. After about another minute, the car essentially turned itself off. Engine stalled, radio and nav screen went blank, no power. I tried to start it again but it looked like the battery had completely died.

I ended up getting a quick jump and was able to drive for another 45 minutes without any issues, no error lights came on and the Check Control setting came back OK.

This same exact thing has happened twice before, and after those two times I replaced the battery. Now I have a new battery but the problem has happened again.

Any thoughts?
Just lived this. Buy a Valeo alternator on Amazon for about $400 and have your favorite mech install it. Expect 4-5 hours labor at a BMW dealer.

BL, your alternator is intermittent and weak. A graceful degradation of performance is pretty typical of a failing alternator.
      02-28-2017, 06:24 PM   #25
E93M3ofSFL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBF18 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoasterFuelPhil View Post
Hey everyone,

So I have a strange issue with the M3. Today I went to start it up, and it started up fine; battery didn't seem to be fully charged as I haven't driven it in a month. All was fine and the car seemed to drive fine until about 10 minutes later when I was doing 60mph on the highway, the car said "Increased battery discharge" on the i-drive screen. About a minute after that the ABS, traction control, EDC, check engine lights came on.

I pulled over and coasted in neutral on an off ramp to try to get off the highway. After about another minute, the car essentially turned itself off. Engine stalled, radio and nav screen went blank, no power. I tried to start it again but it looked like the battery had completely died.

I ended up getting a quick jump and was able to drive for another 45 minutes without any issues, no error lights came on and the Check Control setting came back OK.

This same exact thing has happened twice before, and after those two times I replaced the battery. Now I have a new battery but the problem has happened again.

Any thoughts?
Just lived this. Buy a Valeo alternator on Amazon for about $400 and have your favorite mech install it. Expect 4-5 hours labor at a BMW dealer.

BL, your alternator is intermittent and weak. A graceful degradation of performance is pretty typical of a failing alternator.
Car is in the shop now , waiting for estimate tomorrow morning ...
odds indicate it is alternator so ...

Is it really 4 or 5 hours ??

Wow crazy

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 06:30 PM   #26
E93M3ofSFL
Private First Class
Rep

Didn't find anything on amazon , found this in the forum

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-valeo-pa...317837981~val/
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 06:56 PM   #27
BGBF18
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E93M3ofSFL View Post

That works as well. I may have bought mine from ebay vice amazon. It's been a few months.

As for labor - apparently the correct r and r calls for going in from underneath. It can be done from the top, but appears to me to be a pia which is why I didn't do it myself.

I'm pretty sure the final install bill (minus parts) was close to $600.

They wanted $1200 for the oem alternator alone!
      02-28-2017, 09:34 PM   #28
E93M3ofSFL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That works as well. I may have bought mine from ebay vice amazon. It's been a few months.

As for labor - apparently the correct r and r calls for going in from underneath. It can be done from the top, but appears to me to be a pia which is why I didn't do it myself.

Ok good to know , I guess I will get the bad news tomorrow , I will keep everyone posted , looks 99 % alternator ... even though it looked new when I did pre purchase inspection ... crazy
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 12:02 PM   #29
E93M3ofSFL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ok good to know , I guess I will get the bad news tomorrow , I will keep everyone posted , looks 99 % alternator ... even though it looked new when I did pre purchase inspection ... crazy
Finally labor from my mechanic to change alternator came to $320 plus alternator $600 from mechanic Source so I order from the link above at $347 same oem Valeo alt...
Does my mechanic need to change supplier or I need to change my mechanic ??

Labor cost not bad compared to others here
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 10:19 PM   #30
BGBF18
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Finally labor from my mechanic to change alternator came to $320 plus alternator $600 from mechanic Source so I order from the link above at $347 same oem Valeo alt...

I think what you're paying for is a warranty on parts and labor. Typically if a shop installs a customer-supplied part, they will only warranty the labor and not the part. Your up-front cost is cheaper when you supply the part, however you are simply deferring risk.

That said, my alternator lasted 7-8 years, so your alternator will likely last longer than the shop's warranty period (usually 12 mos.) anyway.
      03-07-2017, 08:05 AM   #31
CoasterFuelPhil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

That is pretty much what I paid for mine. It totally fixed the problem!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 08:12 AM   #32
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Quote:
I am having same issue now , I know this thread is old , OP did not post outcome , having same symptoms
I created a DIY thread on this, but i don't think that was your issue. Agree with everyone else, does sound more of an alternator problem and that's what I thought mine was initially, until I shook the fuse box when the car was completely dead on my driveway

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1357407
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 08:27 PM   #33
E93M3ofSFL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
Quote:
I created a DIY thread on this, but i don't think that was your issue. Agree with everyone else, does sound more of an alternator problem and that's what I thought mine was initially, until I shook the fuse box when the car was completely dead on my driveway

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1357407
Finally got it back from mechanic , alternator swap was $320 in labor , we also swapped pedals, glad to have it back ...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0