BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

10-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

As close as this...

Is there any exhaust system for the M3 that can give a high pitched sound as seen on the F430? (I know it won't get as good... but maybe close)

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
I'd say that the closest you can get is probably the Remus Race. (Remus makes the exhaust for AC Schnitzer and they use different tips.)
[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SDoaCPNFSAY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SDoaCPNFSAY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 07:13 PM   #3
Irb Digital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M E90 MANual Jerez

kreisseg f1
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
Irb Digital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M E90 MANual Jerez

the f1 system is just a fancy system with a switch to give u the equivalent of straight pipes. It sounds good, but in no way will u get the sound of a Ferrari. Exhaust sound has much more to do with the design of the engine. Like cylinder size, bore/stroke, rpm, pathway for airflow, etc... IMHO cylinder and head design have the most influence on "type" of sound, like pitch and rhythm. Where as exhaust design deals with volume and some frequency tuning. An engine is a big air pump, similar to a woodwind sax or or brass trumpet. It's just a complicated musical instrument. The exhaust can't add anything that isn't generated by the engine. It can only tune out unwanted frequencies, and volume.

Last edited by Irb Digital; 10-23-2008 at 06:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 09:06 PM   #5
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 325xi, 05 M3 cpe, 08 M3 cpe

Mods need to start enforcing the search. I'm sorry, but how many "what sounds the best" and "how do I make my M3 sound like a Ferrari" threads are created every day?

Search, my friends.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 04:19 AM   #6
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
Is there any exhaust system for the M3 that can give a high pitched sound as seen on the F430? (I know it won't get as good... but maybe close)

For a short answer..... NO!!!

The reason a Ferarri sounds like it does has nothing to do with exhaust. The reason a Ferarri screams with such a high pitched tone is because all Ferarri V8 engines use a 180 degree or Flat-Plane crankshaft where the 4 rod journals (two rods are mounted to each journal in all V8's) are spaced at 180 degrees. the M3 V8 on the other hand uses a 90 degree or Cross-Plane crankshaft where the 4 rod journals are spaced at 90 degrees from one and other or at 0 degrees, 90 degrees, 180 degrees and 270degrees.

Mainly what affects the sound most about a Flat-Plane V8 is that each bank of cylinders are working like its own engine, or essentially like two four cylinder engines running simultaineously, hence the high pitched scream. This has to do with the fact that the firing order of the Flat-Plane V8 means that every 90 degrees a cylinder is fired in an alternate bank (although some Flat-Plane V8's have been designed to fire two cylinders at once, this is highly uncommon in production engines) so the typical firing order in a Flat-Plane V8 looks like this: 1-5-3-7-4-8-2-6 (assuming the cylinder numbering proceedure that BMW uses of 1234 in bank one and 5678 in bank two) In a Cross-Plane V8 the crankshaft design necessitates that the firing order is somewhat uneven between the banks and not completely alternate. The Firing order for a typical American V8 would be 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 while the firing order for the M3's S65 V8 is: 1-5-4-8-7-2-6-3. Although the S65 does not have a firing order that is conventional to older American V8's it is still not a totally even firing order between banks

The main difference between the Flat-Plane V8 and Cross-Plane V8 is that the Flat-Plane V8 does not require large counterweights (the reduction in mass of the crankshaft due to the lack of counterweights equates to quicker revving, a higher rev ceiling, lighter weight and slightly more horsepower) on the crankshaft like the Cross-Plane V8 and a Flat V8 is much easier to tune with regard to Exhaust and Intake. The major drawback to the Flat V8 is that it is not as smooth or refined as a Cross-Plane V8 with regards to second order vibration. This is is why the Cross-Plane V8 is pretty well the universal layout when it comes to V8 Engines in mass production. Because Ferarris are more about performance then refinement they use the flat crankshaft due to its benefit in horsepower, weight, revability and simplicity.

I hope this helps!!

Last edited by BMRLVR; 10-24-2008 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: Correction
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 04:40 AM   #7
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post

The reason a Ferarri sounds like it does has nothing to do with exhaust. The reason a Ferarri screams with such a high pitched tone is because all Ferarri V8 engines use a 180 degree or Flat-Plane crankshaft where the 4 rod journals (two rods are mounted to each journal in all V8's) are spaced at 180 degrees. the M3 V8 on the other hand uses a 90 degree or Cross-Plane crankshaft where the 4 rod journals are spaced at 90 degrees from one and other or at 0 degrees, 90 degrees, 180 degrees and 270degrees.

Mainly what affects the sound most about a Flat-Plane V8 is that each bank of cylinders are working like its own engine, or essentially like two four cylinder engines running simultaineously, hence the high pitched scream. This has to do with the fact that the firing order of the Flat-Plane V8 means that there are always two cylinders firing at the same time albiet one in each bank of cylinders. In a Cross-Plane V8 there is even spacing of the firing order of all 8 cylinders and never two cylinders firing at the same time therefore the lumpy tone that they have.

The main difference between the flat V8 and Cross-Plane V8 is that the Flat V8 does not require large counterweights (the reduction in mass of the crankshaft due to the lack of counterweights equates to quicker revving, higher revving, lighter and slightly more powerful engine due to the reduction of rotational inertia) on the crankshaft like the Cross-Plane V8 and a Flat V8 is much easier to tune with regard to Exhaust and Intake. The major drawback to the Flat V8 is that it is not as smooth or refined as a Cross-Plane V8 with regards to second order vibration which is why the Cross-Plane V8 is pretty well the universal layout when it comes to V8 Engines in mass production. Because Ferarris are more about performance the refinement they use the flat crankshaft due to its benefit in horsepower, weight, revability and simplicity.

I hope this helps!!
This man knows what he is talking about...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 05:05 AM   #8
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
I have found the eisenmann race is the closest to the sound your going to get that you are after. The sound your after kicks in around the 5500 revs to 8400 revs, this is where the deep rumble disappears and the screem of the revs from the M3 takes over.

Up at these high revs the M3 sounds pretty good and is closest sound to the Ferrari I have heard yet. Have stood on the sidewalk and can hear my M3 coming before I see it and I have always felt the same with the Ferrari. you hear them before you see them.

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 10:30 AM   #9
Blip Bavarian
salivator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 GT4, 14 X5 V8 & 91 E30 LS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irb Digital View Post
kreisseg f1
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #10
M2381
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, GTI

Quote:

Mainly what affects the sound most about a Flat-Plane V8 is that each bank of cylinders are working like its own engine, or essentially like two four cylinder engines running simultaineously, hence the high pitched scream. This has to do with the fact that the firing order of the Flat-Plane V8 means that there are always two cylinders firing at the same time albiet one in each bank of cylinders. In a Cross-Plane V8 there is even spacing of the firing order of all 8 cylinders and never two cylinders firing at the same time therefore the lumpy tone that they have.

The main difference between the Flat-Plane V8 and Cross-Plane V8 is that the Flat-Plane V8 does not require large counterweights (the reduction in mass of the crankshaft due to the lack of counterweights equates to quicker revving, a higher rev ceiling, lighter weight and slightly more horsepower) on the crankshaft like the Cross-Plane V8 and a Flat V8 is much easier to tune with regard to Exhaust and Intake. The major drawback to the Flat V8 is that it is not as smooth or refined as a Cross-Plane V8 with regards to second order vibration. This is is why the Cross-Plane V8 is pretty well the universal layout when it comes to V8 Engines in mass production. Because Ferarris are more about performance then refinement they use the flat crankshaft due to its benefit in horsepower, weight, revability and simplicity.

I hope this helps!!
Actually yes, it does help
      10-23-2008, 08:25 PM   #11
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blip Bavarian View Post
+1
+2
      10-23-2008, 08:26 PM   #12
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Thanks for taking the time for the answer, but I knew this. That's why I said "as close to".

Quote:

I hope this helps!!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 10:14 PM   #13
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time for the answer, but I knew this. That's why I said "as close to".
Well the answer tells you that there is not anything that you can do with exhaust to get the M3 to sound like or even close to the sound of a Ferarri. What you can do is to modify the natural sound that the M3's V8 makes and give it a raspier tone which some people think "sounds like a Ferarri". The way to a raspier tone is to have no mufflers or resonators at all, the drawback to this will be a very loud car. I think that maybe an exhaust with no cats or resonators and just straight through mufflers will give you what you are looking for.
      10-23-2008, 11:14 PM   #14
AA5IB
Private
Rep
Drives: VO 1M Coupe

Install 180 degree headers. First set I ever heard was on Dick Landy's Altered Wheelbase Dodge at Lions Drag Strip in 1964. The old Ford Indy V8 with the Nest Of Snakes exhaust had them, Junior Johsnson's Nascar racer that Darrel Waltrip drove in the early 80s had them. Standing in the infield of Nashville Speedway at the exit of turn 2 was ear splitting every time Waltrip went by. Mid 90s several teams started running them at Daytona and Talladega. If I remember right the 2 rear pipes on each cylinder bank crossed over to the opposite side and joined the collector with the front 2 pipes.

Or in the old Formula 5000 days some teams ran Repco engines that was a small block chevy with a 180 degree flat crankshaft.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 03:24 PM   #15
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Quote:

It will be hard to achieve that sound, but I say go with the Remus Race!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 04:27 PM   #16
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

You'll need a flat crank for that sound
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 08:08 PM   #17
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

nice write BMRLVR.... didnt know bout the engine design differences that you mentioned until i read your post

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 11:20 PM   #18
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep

Correction to my initial post

I have made a correction to my original post...... it used to read:
Quote:
The corrected text is as follows:
Mainly what affects the sound most about a Flat-Plane V8 is that each bank of cylinders are working like its own engine, or essentially like two four cylinder engines running simultaineously, hence the high pitched scream. This has to do with the fact that the firing order of the Flat-Plane V8 means that every 90 degrees a cylinder is fired in an alternate bank (although some Flat-Plane V8's have been designed to fire two cylinders at once, this is highly uncommon in production engines) so the typical firing order in a Flat-Plane V8 looks like this: 1-5-3-7-4-8-2-6 (assuming the cylinder numbering proceedure that BMW uses of 1234 in bank one and 5678 in bank two) In a Cross-Plane V8 the crankshaft design necessitates that the firing order is somewhat uneven between the banks and not completely alternate. The Firing order for a typical American V8 would be 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 while the firing order for the M3's S65 V8 is: 1-5-4-8-7-2-6-3. Although the S65 does not have a firing order that is conventional to older American V8's it is still not a totally even firing order between banks

I apologize for the mistake...... I originally posted this in the late night/early morning and was obviously not thinking 100% clearly.