BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

06-29-2020, 11:27 PM   #45
phara0h
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3 6MT

My seats are quite clean, so I haven't had to use a cleaner thus far, but I've been using Leather Honey Conditioner and it's been pretty good. It's a PITA to put on because it's quite thick and sticky, but if you leave it in the garage or set it in the sun for a couple minutes it thins out and goes on like a dream. Lather it on decently thick and leave it over night and then wipe off the next day and the leather loves it.

Unfortunately, my driver's seat lost a lot of its matte finish from earlier life, but this seems to be keeping the leather very hydrated without any oily residue.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 06:17 PM   #46
e92BMW///M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Just applied the leatherique rejuvenator earlier this morning and it’s killing me to wait. Some parts (headrests) seemed to ‘spot’ a little bit as it absorbed, normal?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 10:35 PM   #47
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92BMW///M3 View Post
Just applied the leatherique rejuvenator earlier this morning and it's killing me to wait. Some parts (headrests) seemed to 'spot' a little bit as it absorbed, normal?
Yes, reapply as needed so there's a layer of oil on top of the leather. I let it sit for 3 days, checked it once or twice a day to see if I needed to reapply oil. After about 24-36hrs, the leather seems like it's gotten its full and no more reapply is needed.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2020, 07:23 PM   #48
e92BMW///M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRPM View Post
Yes, reapply as needed so there's a layer of oil on top of the leather. I let it sit for 3 days, checked it once or twice a day to see if I needed to reapply oil. After about 24-36hrs, the leather seems like it's gotten its full and no more reapply is needed.
Thanks. This is what I did but glad to hear it’s not out of the norm.

I was always in the camp of ‘my interior is clean’, but doing this brings a whole new level. Thank you to everyone in this thread for the motivation to actually do this after having the supplies for some time. Now I have to do my X5M also.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 07:46 PM   #49
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. This is what I did but glad to hear it's not out of the norm.

I was always in the camp of 'my interior is clean', but doing this brings a whole new level. Thank you to everyone in this thread for the motivation to actually do this after having the supplies for some time. Now I have to do my X5M also.
I had Leatherique sitting on a shelf for literally years before I used it.

When you go to wipe it off, it'll take some back and forth between warm water, the pristine clean, and a dry microfiber. You're not done until you get all of the sticky residue off.

Some suggest skipping the pristine clean and just using warm water but I haven't tried that myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 07:54 PM   #50
e92BMW///M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRPM View Post
I had Leatherique sitting on a shelf for literally years before I used it.

When you go to wipe it off, it'll take some back and forth between warm water, the pristine clean, and a dry microfiber. You're not done until you get all of the sticky residue off.

Some suggest skipping the pristine clean and just using warm water but I haven't tried that myself.
Yes I skipped the pristine clean based on the advice on here, and it took a few passes of warm water towel and dry microfiber to get it all off. It’s dark now so tough to tell and I’ll probably do a once over in the AM but even now the results are great. Never thought the steering wheel would look like this again, and the bolsters also.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2020, 12:33 AM   #51
Carlow
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Yes mate . Without pristine clean our Novillo leather looks more factory matte and darker, the leather feels also more softer
Pristine clean can be useful when the leather is really dirty .
So are we saying the pristine clean leaves a shinier finish and cleaning with warm water is more matt?
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2020, 04:35 PM   #52
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlow View Post
So are we saying the pristine clean leaves a shinier finish and cleaning with warm water is more matt?
Positive mate

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2020, 05:16 PM   #53
e92BMW///M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

On my M3 I left the rejuvenator oil on for 36 hours or so with great results (IMO).

Is there a point of diminishing returns with leaving it on? Doing my X5M now and have the ability to let it sit for some time but assume at some point the results wont be that much better.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2020, 05:48 PM   #54
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
On my M3 I left the rejuvenator oil on for 36 hours or so with great results (IMO).

Is there a point of diminishing returns with leaving it on? Doing my X5M now and have the ability to let it sit for some time but assume at some point the results wont be that much better.
How long to let it sit ?
Mate .Over the whole weekend was no issue for me . Felt even softer .
You can't go wrong anyway

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
scrammer420.50
      07-28-2020, 06:02 PM   #55
Audioslave686
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E90/X4 F26

+1 for Leatherique

although it's pretty labor intense
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2020, 06:06 PM   #56
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioslave686 View Post
+1 for Leatherique

although it's pretty labor intense
Mate . "No Pain No Gain" !

Appreciate 1
      07-28-2020, 06:08 PM   #57
noremaC
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90M

I've done both Leatherique and Swissvax.

Results were similar, Swissvax has a much easier application and removal process.

I had Leatherique sitting on the leather in the North Carolina summer sun for 72 hours. A pain to remove. The results may have been marginally better.

Followed Swissvax instructions and was happy with the results. Lower level of effort and quicker time to value.
oolas3387.00
      07-28-2020, 07:58 PM   #58
Carlow
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Positive mate
But with the same cleaning power? My seats needed a good clean. I am just paranoid that if I use warm water instead of pristine clean the leather wont get as good a clean?
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2020, 06:19 AM   #59
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlow View Post
But with the same cleaning power? My seats needed a good clean. I am just paranoid that if I use warm water instead of pristine clean the leather wont get as good a clean?
Test it on one seat . And look how it goes...

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 02:14 PM   #60
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I let mine sit outside in the sun for about 72 hours as well. After 24-36 hours you could tell the seat appeared to absorb the oil.

But closer to the 48-72 hour mark the oil seemed to be sitting on top and not absorbing any more. Perhaps this is indicative of when it might start to yield diminishing returns but only a test would tell us.

Esoteric Detail recommends 24-48 hours and then repeating the whole process after a few weeks if the leather needs it. More work, but maybe better results?
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2020, 03:31 PM   #61
e92BMW///M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Similar results between 36 hours on the M3 and 48 hours on the X5M. Just using the oil and then warm water to remove.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      08-01-2020, 08:02 PM   #62
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 //M3 e90 Interlagos Blue

Garage List
National COVID-19 Lockdown and now everyone is going Leatherique crazy on their ///M cars. Me too...190k miles and it needed it.

Do the rear and front seats at different times. Do the driver seat last in case you have to move your car. Skip the steering wheel, since any leather cleaner can take car of that.
Don't forget the center arm rest and door panel arm rests, which get very shiny.

I think an old front seat on a high mileage car has the protective coated layer worn off, so when you brush it the leather dye comes off. It is more like raw leather. On the rest of the leather seats, if they are barely used, the protective coating causes the rejuvenator oil to bead and not be absorbed. So you have to re-apply a few coats

I used 32 oz of Rejuvenator Oil on my e90 M3 interior, and let it sit for 5+ days. Pristine Clean doesn't do much. Didn't clean dirt in a crease. Warm water was all it took to remove the oil. They recommend to use Pristine Clean for maintenance, but I would use something else.

Remember to mask your plastic trim with hefty bag plastic/tape...easier in the long run during the cleanup.

Leatherique doesn't repair creases and scuffed leather on the side bolsters. Colourlock has full leather dye kits with a full range old BMW colors, as well as, leather maintenance cleaners and protectors (conditioners), plus repair kits. They have the full kits with color options on Amazon and the leather dye kits ship from the UK. You can order direct from Colourlock in the UK. Products might be made in Germany.

Consensus is these are the best leather products for maintenance and for new leather.

- Colourlock
- Swissvax
- Girot's
- AMMONYC
- Zainos
- Sonax

Adding a new Colourlock Thread.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 05:22 PM   #63
NeverL8
Captain
Rep
Drives: Slow

I was really impressed with Griots interior cleaner (clear bottle) My steering wheel, seats and center console looked just like I did Leatherique treatment on em. Takes off all the shine and leaves a nice matte finish. Highly recommended!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 10:18 AM   #64
NeverL8
Captain
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephE92 View Post
Check out Griots Leather Care Spray. It has a new car leather scent, it cleans and protects at the same time.
Does it add shine to the leather?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 07:09 AM   #65
cleanm3
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Hi guys, late here to the forum but would you still recommend Leatherique?
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2021, 08:36 AM   #66
e92BMW///M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanm3 View Post
Hi guys, late here to the forum but would you still recommend Leatherique?
I still think it did a nice job of bringing the leather back to life, relative to other products I have used that were easier to apply but didnt bring the same results.

It is still something you need to maintain and is time consuming, but it works.