BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

12-27-2019, 10:46 AM   #67
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
hehe someone caught the bug BIG TIME!!!!! Mwuhahahaha Awesome!! I mean....uhhh....welcome to the group therapy forum......my name is dogbone. I’ve been coming here for 8 years. Did your wife send you here too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Congrats on the new car! I recently purchased my 3rd e9x m3 so definitely understand.(granted I've owned mine one at a time so far)

And yes, welcome to group therapy haha
Ha ha, thanks for the welcomes! The thing I enjoy - I mean find very helpful - about group therapy is that it puts so many like minded individuals in the same room at one time. And yes - the bug is definitely very strong with this one. Hello everyone my name is OG Shark, first time here, and I just bought another E9x - this one in "Mid-Life Crisis Orange".

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Awesome!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4hand View Post
inb4 "its just a time attack build, gonna keep it really simple"
Nope, nope, nope, not going to do it, nope. Street car only, reversible mods, I promise... The M2 on the other hand is now free game
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 07:41 PM   #68
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
So I have all these good parts laying around that either were taken off the race car or never made it on there. Corsa rear section, Gintani Xpipe, Karbonius intake, just to name a few... So the logical thing to do is to obviously get an E90 M3 on the way - I have serious issues...

ETA middish January
Awesome!! Congrats!

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4685.50
      01-03-2020, 08:38 PM   #69
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
So I have all these good parts laying around that either were taken off the race car or never made it on there. Corsa rear section, Gintani Xpipe, Karbonius intake, just to name a few... So the logical thing to do is to obviously get an E90 M3 on the way - I have serious issues...

Wow, sweet! Congrats! Did the owner have that painted as part of the Individual program?
      01-04-2020, 01:43 AM   #70
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

What a dream come true. The more I mod the m3, the more I want an unmolested e90 for around town. You know, the practical family car.
      01-06-2020, 11:28 AM   #71
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Wow, sweet! Congrats! Did the owner have that painted as part of the Individual program?
Yeah individual in fire orange. Not a whole lot of sedans built in this color but this one has the dreaded sunroof & is a DCT - perfect for me but probably shunned by the hardcore purists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
What a dream come true. The more I mod the m3, the more I want an unmolested e90 for around town. You know, the practical family car.
My thoughts exactly
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 02:22 PM   #72
OG Shark
Rep

Evil Eye...

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:55 PM   #73
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

How did NASA Texas season opener go??
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 10:42 AM   #74
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
How did NASA Texas season opener go??
Mixed bag. Spent the weekend mainly trouble shooting but we made solid progress. Was able to nurse it through comp school so the main goal of the weekend was achieved. All in all a good start & the car definitely has some serious potential.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 07:32 PM   #75
b4hand
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Mixed bag. Spent the weekend mainly trouble shooting but we made solid progress. Was able to nurse it through comp school so the main goal of the weekend was achieved. All in all a good start & the car definitely has some serious potential.
"Nurse it though comp school". What happened?? Also, did you hear Harris Hill is getting a repave? I'm actually kinda excited!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 08:52 AM   #76
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
"Nurse it though comp school". What happened?? Also, did you hear Harris Hill is getting a repave? I'm actually kinda excited!
Just working through new build issues. The DSC wasn't playing nice even though we had it turned off. After we got that sorted the fuel pump regulator started acting up. So just ended up using the weekend to trouble shoot. First time the car has been out on track - knew we would have some issues to sort out & feel like we made pretty solid progress this weekend.

I knew they have been talking about it but hadn't seen anything official. Have they announced something on it? That would be a game changer out there - without the bumps I think it would be a fun little track.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 01:29 PM   #77
b4hand
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Just working through new build issues. The DSC wasn't playing nice even though we had it turned off. After we got that sorted the fuel pump regulator started acting up. So just ended up using the weekend to trouble shoot. First time the car has been out on track - knew we would have some issues to sort out & feel like we made pretty solid progress this weekend.

I knew they have been talking about it but hadn't seen anything official. Have they announced something on it? That would be a game changer out there - without the bumps I think it would be a fun little track.
Well I don't think it's confirmed but there is a good hunch looking at the H2R challenge calender. At least that is what I saw in the Texas hpde Facebook group.

So what's next for the car? Sorry if I am asking a bunch of questions. This build is exciting!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 09:30 AM   #78
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Well I don't think it's confirmed but there is a good hunch looking at the H2R challenge calender. At least that is what I saw in the Texas hpde Facebook group.

So what's next for the car? Sorry if I am asking a bunch of questions. This build is exciting!
Sounds like you are right about H2R. Was out there yesterday & was told it should be happening in April. About 65% to 70% included in the repave. Also a slight realignment from 6 to 7 - a new highway is going in behind it and the have to push the track over a bit to meet the minimum separation distance. Wish they would go ahead and repave the whole track - but 70% will be a huge difference. I think it has reached the point of being undriveable for me even in a more street oriented setup.

We are going to be at COTA Saturday with Chin - hopefully we can get all the bugs sorted. The next weekend will be back at COTA for the SCCA races. Planning on NASA @ Cresson in March, something in April but not sure what yet, and then shut the car down for a couple of months to address anything as needed & clean up the build. BMW CCA Club Racing back at COTA in June (really looking forward to this one) & then figure the rest of the year out from there. Really hope the repave happens at H2R so I can mix in local practice between the races.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 09:39 AM   #79
OG Shark
Rep

Appreciate 8
///Mobbin1476.50
tsk941522.00
roastbeef11581.50
dparm3849.50
//steve\\1074.00
Bartledoo2691.50
      02-06-2020, 02:45 PM   #80
OG Shark
Rep

Test Day at COTA

Appreciate 5
///Mobbin1476.50
Bartledoo2691.50
roastbeef11581.50
b4hand661.00
//steve\\1074.00
      02-06-2020, 03:16 PM   #81
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Great photos, thanks for sharing. The perfect weather and good company made for an epic weekend, can't wait to do this again!
      02-09-2020, 08:18 PM   #82
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Great photos, thanks for sharing. The perfect weather and good company made for an epic weekend, can't wait to do this again!
That was an awesome weekend. Good company definitely makes the track days a lot more fun. Wish we had that weather out there today!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 08:37 PM   #83
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Quote:
That was an awesome weekend. Good company definitely makes the track days a lot more fun. Wish we had that weather out there today!
Good job in T1 this weekend!
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4685.50
      02-09-2020, 09:13 PM   #84
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Good job in T1 this weekend!
Thanks! Was a crazy weekend for us but ended on a pretty good note!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 04:53 PM   #85
OG Shark
Rep

Finally got my first real sprint race in the books! Finished P2 (P12 overall) in class T1 yesterday at the SCCA Hoosier Super Tour races at COTA. Been a long journey getting this car together but we finally got there!

We have been sorting through new build bugs for the past couple of weeks. Would run great for a couple of runs and then the bugs would come back. Got a few issues sorted out and headed up to COTA for the testing on Friday. Didn't get much testing done - still had issues. Ended up not even completing one lap that day. But the car did finally show us a misfire & we were able to track & isolate the issue. Looked like the car was running good so we gave qualifying a go the next morning. Ended up having a good run and qualified P2 (P19 overall) for the Saturday race with a 2:24.35. Unfortunately the gremlin popped back up before the race that afternoon and we were a DNS.

Saturday afternoon was spent troubleshooting again. After another late for the guys we felt like giving Sunday morning qualifying a go. It was wet so the session wouldn't help improve my starting position but would let us know if we could try to race later that day. Got in a few decent (albeit sketchy laps with A7's on a wet track) but was able to run it hard enough that prior would have angered the car. So we were a go for the race on Sunday.

Swapping out the A7's for some Hoosier wets we gridded at P21 overall. I was a little over cautious at the start and ended up getting boxed in pretty bad. It took me a couple of laps to clear that traffic and was 13 secs behind the leader at that point. Was able to knock that down to 2 secs with a couple of laps to go but got a bit unlucky behind some lapped traffic around the carousel & wasn't brave enough to leave the dry line to pass him around the curves. P1 got out too far in front of me and I wasn't able to catch back up. Didn't help that I ended up spinning at the exit of 12 on my last lap after getting a bit over zealous with the throttle. No harm, no foul but it did spread the final gap to the leader to 10 secs. Was trying to beat my fast lap for the race Didn't cost me any places, just a little pride, and ended up P2 in class and P12 overall.

All in all was a long, crazy weekend but we had a lot of fun. We got proof of concept - the car has some serious potential. I was actually on a low 2:23 flyer in qualy 1 but got slowed up a bit in some traffic. The car definitely has promise beyond that as well - I know I'm not close to its potential as a driver. With some proper slicks, some front aero, getting the suspension dialed in, and some serious work on the driver - I think we could be pushing 2:20 out at COTA at this power level. Also - the car is an absolute blast to drive. Just an absolute blast. We still have a lot to do to finish out the car & get it where we want - but really happy with what is has shown us so far.

Appreciate 2
///Mobbin1476.50
DRLane3982.50
      02-10-2020, 05:03 PM   #86
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Those are some seriously amazing lap times already, congrats on the race and times in general! I'm sure y'all will get these bugs sorted in the long run btw, looking forward to future reports.
      02-10-2020, 05:07 PM   #87
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Super cool, and congrats on the finish! Really excited to follow how your build manages the 2020 season. Please don't be shy about sharing any mechanical failures so we can all learn.
      02-10-2020, 06:59 PM   #88
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Project 220 Build?
Appreciate 2
///Mobbin1476.50
OG Shark4685.50