BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

04-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #89
NikB316
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition, F83 M4

h4nh,
I feel bad for you but no offense that was a pretty damn stupid move on your part. If the owner and manufacturer STRESS running 93 and not only do you use 91, but 89??? WTF!

Sorry if I sound harsh but you probably shouldn't drive an FI M3 to begin with

Enlighten me on why you put 89 in the car? Stupidity fascinates me. I'm not ESS or Biglare who sold you the car so I can tell you exactly what everyone is thinking...

2014 M5 Competition Alpine/Sakhir
BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
2011 Space Grey E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)

Last edited by NikB316; 04-02-2013 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #90
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

geez gl with rebuild
      04-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #91
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikB316 View Post
h4nh,
I feel bad for you but no offense that was a pretty damn stupid move on your part. If the owner and manufacturer STRESS running 93 and not only do you use 91, but 89??? WTF!

Enlighten me on why you put 89 in the car? Stupidity fascinates me. I'm not ESS or Biglare who sold you the car so I can tell you exactly what everyone is thinking...
Let's hope your AA SC'ed M3 doesnt go boom because if it does the tuner will always find a way to blame it on you.
Or you can sell the car at the first indication of the ticking noise. Haha
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #92
US///M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
Getting it towed sucked. Good thing I had enough time to coast it in a safe location to get it towed. I am guessing the bearing failed and broke the rod/ piston so oil came out of the exhaust valves. I am mad. lol
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, hope your car gets fixed soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #93
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
Let's hope your AA SC'ed M3 doesnt go boom because if it does the tuner will always find a way to blame it on you.
Pretty dooshie
I feel for H4nh but blowing a car (or) purchasing a blown car comes with the responsibility of following specific instructions.
This is a no brainer, if the car is tuned for 93 and you run 91 or 89 shit will get real.

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #94
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange

WTF does this have to do with AA? You obviously do not know this company and are on a band wagon ride as the shit thrower.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #95
NikB316
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition, F83 M4

Quote:

Where'd that come from?

If my car were to go boom it sure as hell wouldn't be from putting 89 octane in it. I would FULLY take responsibility if that happened. Most of the tuners who have had to deal with blown engines have been pretty helpful if it wasn't because of the customer's negligence.

2014 M5 Competition Alpine/Sakhir
BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
2011 Space Grey E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #96
US///M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m View Post
Pretty dooshie
I feel for H4nh but blowing a car (or) purchasing a blown car comes with the responsibility of following specific instructions.
This is a no brainer, if the car is tuned for 93 and you run 91 or 89 shit will get real.
Sorry, i didnt mean to upset you. Hahaha
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #97
h4nh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5

Garage List
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [10.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
I told you not to drive the car on anything less than 93 when we spoke at Targa, I even told you what would happen if you did. I almost fell over when you told me you had even run 89 octane in it at one point. I recall seeing you blow by me a couple times on the Targa run and I was thinking to myself and mentioned to Larry who was with me that your motor was being put at major risk. That car was built and tuned to run 93+ octane fuel only by the previous owner who always ran race gas in it. Larry ran that car hard for many years on the track and street and never had any issues but that was because he knew he had to use high octane fuel at all times with his setup. If you get detonation due to poor fuel quality it can cause damage to rod bearings and lead to premature failure, this can happen very quickly. That car running 89/91 octane I can tell you was getting detonation at some point. Once a rod bearing is damaged it is just a matter of time before it gives. This is why we stress that customers always run the required octane rating in our supercharger kits. Larry told me that he stressed this to you before you purchased the car.

If you want to run high HP in CA on 91 octane you need to lower the CR of the motor or make sure you always have race gas in 100% of the time, no exceptions.
I always ran 93 in Texas. It started to blow a lil bit of smoke when I gassed it. I think something was worn out already. When I first drove the car in SD it already started making a slight ticking noise (with the 93 gas in).
      04-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #98
h4nh
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikB316 View Post
h4nh,

I didn't fill up the car with 89. I had to put gas in and the only gas station close had 89. I was in another city in California so I didn't know where the next gas station would be. If I was in Texas there's no problem getting 93 gas since it's everywhere.

You don't know what happened so that's pretty rude of you to say so. Maybe that's why people won't post on here if their engine blows up.
      04-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #99
m33
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

Damn dude , this sucks & I know you don't need me to tell you that
But.... Regardless of what anyone says be it be Roman or Biglare or anyone else for that matter you shouldn't have put anything lower then 93 in her...or .... You should have lowered the boost with a larger pulley ....

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #100
Dodge2Dub
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3; Ducati

Regardless of the octane used, these things still happen.

OP, I hope you are able to figure out what failed on the car (and report back) as well as take this opportunity to upgrade as you mentioned in a previous post. GL!

Quote:
I didn't fill up the car with 89. I had to put gas in and the only gas station close had 89. I was in another city in California so I didn't know where the next gas station would be. If I was in Texas there's no problem getting 93 gas since it's everywhere.

You don't know what happened so that's pretty rude of you to say so. Maybe that's why people won't post on here if their engine blows up.
      04-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #101
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
I always ran 93 in Texas. It started to blow a lil bit of smoke when I gassed it. I think something was worn out already. When I first drove the car in SD it already started making a slight ticking noise (with the 93 gas in).
Chris from HG said when the car came in from Texas he never saw any smoke or issues when they started the car and ran it. If you noticed smoke before the car went to HG you should have mentioned something to them so that they could have inspected the car before you drove it around CA and the Targa Trophy event.

Ticking does not always equal an issue on these cars. There are plenty of M3's that have ticking including my current 2013 which sometimes has it. In your case it could or could not be related but there is no question that driving that car on 89/91 octane for even 1 day most likely caused engine damage.

As posted already when you buy a used supercharged car or a new kit for your car it is vital that you are responsible in how you use it and always follow the guidelines set by the vendor.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #102
h4nh
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
The car was completely fine when you bought it. I always ran a mix race gas and 91 octane, so I had at least 93 or higher octane at all times. There was no ticking noise when you purchased the car, so I'm not sure what you are referring to.

The point is that a lower octane fuel was used than what was required. You knew about it and did it anyway. It sucks, but those are the facts and now consequences are the blown motor. Sorry, but this is due to the incorrect fuel octane being used.
Yeah it was fine when I bought it. I was talking about a few months recently it blew some smoke when I got on the gas. I had bmw of dallas inspect it and they said it was fine. The ticking only started a few weeks ago when I drove the car in SD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge2Dub View Post

OP, I hope you are able to figure out what failed on the car (and report back) as well as take this opportunity to upgrade as you mentioned in a previous post. GL!
Thanks, it'll be fixed and either I'll have it put back to stock or do a low compression build.
      04-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #103
m33
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
The car was completely fine when you bought it. I always ran a mix race gas and 91 octane, so I had at least 93 or higher octane at all times. There was no ticking noise when you purchased the car, so I'm not sure what you are referring to.

The point is that a lower octane fuel was used than what was required. You knew about it and did it anyway. It sucks, but those are the facts and now consequences are the blown motor. Sorry, but this is due to the incorrect fuel octane being used.
Yeah it was fine when I bought it. I was talking about a few months recently it blew some smoke when I got on the gas. I had bmw of dallas inspect it and they said it was fine. The ticking only started a few weeks ago when I drove the car in SD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge2Dub View Post

Thanks, it'll be fixed and either I'll have it put back to stock or do a low compression build.
Screw stock , LC is they way to go , then you don't have to worry about fuel
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #104
h4nh
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
Chris from HG said when the car came in from Texas he never saw any smoke or issues when they started the car and ran it. If you noticed smoke before the car went to HG you should have mentioned something to them so that they could have inspected the car before you drove it around CA and the Targa Trophy event.

Ticking does not always equal an issue on these cars. There are plenty of M3's that have ticking including my current 2013 which sometimes has it. In your case it could or could not be related but there is no question that driving that car on 89/91 octane for even 1 day most likely caused engine damage.

As posted already when you buy a used supercharged car or a new kit for your car it is vital that you are responsible in how you use it and always follow the guidelines set by the vendor.
I had bmw inspect the car when it was in Texas and they said everything was okay.

It was an abnormal ticking you could hear bouncing off walls or a sidewalk like some have described. I'm not blaming anyone or the kit.
      04-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #105
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep

The S65 tick is like putting, you do not want to over think it Fuel issue, and leave it at that. This damage was most likely going on for some time using less than 93 octane.

Quote:
I had bmw inspect the car when it was in Texas and they said everything was okay.

It was an abnormal ticking you could hear bouncing off walls or a sidewalk like some have described. I'm not blaming anyone or the kit.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #106
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

So much for a clean thread on bad bearings.

Maybe one of the mods could create a separate thread for h4mh's blown motor?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #107
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep

Agree. Nothing to do with bearings on that motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post

Maybe one of the mods could create a separate thread for h4mh's blown motor?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #108
h4nh
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post

Maybe one of the mods could create a separate thread for h4nh's blown motor?
Sorry. Didn't mean to clutter your thread. I searched it on google due to the noise I was hearing and it came to this. I'm not going to post anymore about this here. Whatever happened, happened. It will be fixed and nobody is paying for it but me.
      04-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #109
AlteredBe4st
First Pride
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Mine is supercharged. 26k miles on it and it had the ticking noise for a week. People told me it was just the lifters and I knew it sounded a lil more abnormal. It finally gave out on me while cruising on the freeway and blew up oil/ smoke all out of the exhaust.

The shop is going to pull it apart soon and see what the damage is. It doesn't seem to be good though
Sorry to hear the bad news. Things happen and we all have to learn from our mistakes no matter what caused the issue. Good luck with the rebuild.
      04-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #110
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
I have no words for you sir.
Appreciate 0