BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

04-28-2023, 02:12 PM   #1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

sponges for traditional car wash?

seems like the technology has gotten better? i was skeptical at first, but watched a video where trapped dirt releases almost immediately with a light scrub against a grit guard. this release doesn't happen with a microfiber pad i use. i have to really work for the dirt to release.

most guides seem geared towards rinseless washes, but im interested in pairing with traditional soapy washes. anyone have experience with sponges?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 02:41 PM   #2
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

I haven't kept up with anything in the past 5 years, but have been pleased with using the sponges from Optimum (see below). I use them for a post-Opti-Coat ceramic low water wash.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2023, 02:43 PM   #3
First Lieutenant
Rep

thanks, exact sponge i was looking for~
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 03:19 PM   #4
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

dirt and grit won't embed and get stuck between those cross cuts? how deep are they?
      04-28-2023, 03:25 PM   #5
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Run far away from any sponge
Appreciate 2
swainbmw517.50
      04-28-2023, 04:34 PM   #6
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
dirt and grit won't embed and get stuck between those cross cuts? how deep are they?
From the guy who designed them (Yvan Lacroix):
Quote:
When I designed the sponge I was looking for something that worked better with Optimum No Rinse(ONR) than what was available at the time. The multiple towel method was safe but inefficient, chenille and wool mitts start feeling odd after a few cars( greasy for lack of a better term). Working with Lake Country Manufacturing I tried many different foam samples, and this is the one that stood out ( that said new advances in foam over the last 10 years will soon make the BRS obsolete, a newer version is soon to be released).

I agree that with Soap, the BRS is useless, and doesn’t work as well as a chenille mitt. But it was never intend to be used with soap, it’s designed for Optimum No Rinse(ONR). The unique characteristics of Optimum No Rinse(ONR) make it that the sponge works as designed, and is extremely safe for the paint. With a MF or wool wash media the dirt is attached to the surface of the fibre, and stays there. With the BRS it’s absorbed into the foam. When the BRS contacts the surface of the Optimum No Rinse(ONR) solution in the bucket, it releases the dirt( I will provide a link in an attached comment).

Unlike a towel or a mitt there is a thickness to the BRS that reduces pressure points.

As for the cost, it’s by far the least expensive wash media on the market when you consider cost per use. In a shop doing 20 washes a day, a sponge would typically still be in use after a year.

Those that cringe at using the BRS simply have never used one. Yes it’s not the accepted norm, but if everyone worked in the same way and did things the all with the same products and tools our industry wouldn’t have the accelerated growth and innovation we are experiencing these days.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 08:49 PM   #7
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

No sponge they Hold grit. Use a MF mit or pad and rinse before dipping back in soap
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2023, 09:12 PM   #8
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Sponge? Is so 1970...

Two Bucket wash with MF Mit... That is all, don't over think it!

Free flow rinse car, then pressure wash, then foam, the rinse, then foam again, let sit 5 mins...

Then soapy mit on foamed car, one panel at a time, rinse, using grit guards, then rinse again, dip in soap bucket and do another panel, repeat until done. I use a separate mit for the lower 1/3 of the car, front and lowers done last as that's where all any grit might be, doing it last limits the possibility of picking up a piece and scratching the paint...

Good Luck!
Appreciate 2
      04-30-2023, 09:02 PM   #9
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I use the Zymol sponge and although a bit pricey, works better than anything I've used before.

And yes, I've tried the mitt. Didn't like it.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2023, 09:09 PM   #10
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Microfiber towel, 12x12 or 12x16 folded in halves until a palm size or so.
Use new side for each panel, no bucket rinsing, no worry.
      04-30-2023, 10:34 PM   #11
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas1836 View Post
Microfiber towel, 12x12 or 12x16 folded in halves until a palm size or so.
Use new side for each panel, no bucket rinsing, no worry.
i tried this with 15x towels. long story short, its not for me. it might be the safest method, but i prefer the simplicity of one mitt or sponge.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 10:35 PM   #12
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
I use the Zymol sponge and although a bit pricey, works better than anything I've used before.

And yes, I've tried the mitt. Didn't like it.
i'll have to check it out. thanks!
Appreciate 1
P111554.00
      05-08-2023, 10:39 PM   #13
Ralph III
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Hello All,
I'd like to give some advice in this regards having managed a detail business for 14 years, many years ago. This includes professionally buffing well over 10k cars alone during that period. There is no way I could count typical washes or other type details. I've been maintaining my own for nearly 40 years as well. I've also professionally painted a dozen or more vehicles going back to the 80's with factory results, for family/friends. So, the advice I'm giving comes from a lot of experience. The following is what I consider to be the best.

1) Purchase a CarPro merino wool wash mitt, period! I don't care for sponges nor microfibers. The merino mitt is far superior and safer for the paint.

2) Use the two bucket wash method. One bucket to wash with (soap bucket) and one bucket to rinse your mitt out with (rinse bucket). So, wash/rinse/re-load/wash. REPEAT......

The two bucket method is considered to be the best method by the vast majority of professional Detailers. I actually developed an even better method though; if you are willing to keep a spray bottle on your person.

Have a spray bottle mixture of your favorite soap diluted with water. You'll only need one rinse bucket for this method which goes as follows.

*Rinse your vehicle off as normal, prior to washing.
*Spray an area with your soap bottle.
*Wash the area with your mitt.
*Clean your mitt out in the rinse bucket.
*REPEAT......

This is the best method for washing your vehicle IMHO because 1) You're going to be washing with significantly more soap and consequently lubricity on the surface of your vehicle. Lubricity helps protect against imparting microscopic scratches.

I just hook the bottle in my pants pocket as I wash. Trust me. This method is far superior then loading soap from a bucket. You just have to get used to having the bottle hang off your pants.

DO NOT wash your vehicle via rinse-less methods when you can wash it! Most of that is sells hype and pushed by Detailers who are being compensated. Use your common sense. Rinsing dust from a car with water first and then washing it is safest. Spraying dust as it sits on your car and then wiping it off is not. You should only resort to that if you have no choice, such as winter/water restrictions (etc). Don't buy into the hype.

Tip: As another poster stated, wash the very bottom last.

3) Dry your vehicle using two medium sized microfiber towels! That's all it takes. My absolute favorite and safest is the Platinum Pluffle.

Keep one towel in one hand and the other towel in the other hand. Dry with your lead towel and immediately follow up with your second towel to pick up any remaining water. You'll need to wring out your lead towel two or three times. You can wash an entire vehicle with just these two medium sized towels because the lead towel is doing all of the work while the second towel is used for finishing purposes.

Tip. I often use Eagle "Wax as you dry" during the drying process. You can also use their "Nano Wax" although it is not meant to be used as such. This is beneficial in two ways. 1) You're adding a protectant to your paint and 2) You're using extra lubricity while drying which again helps protect against imparting microscopic scratches. There may be other products available at this time. I've just been using the Eagle products for many years.

There are other things to consider but you'll appreciate the above. Especially if you have a dark and expensive vehicle that you wish to keep pristine.

God Bless,
Ralph

Last edited by Ralph III; 05-09-2023 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 6
      05-08-2023, 11:51 PM   #14
jkline398
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 335i

I'm glad you added this Ralph, I saw a post about a sponge and wanted to reply that no detailer out of the 15 or so I have known personally has ever used a sponge. You just proved why that is. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 12:29 AM   #15
cpt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 BMW i5 M60

Great tips Ralph! I wanted to reply with my washing routine but what you described is far more detailed and informative than what I had in mind.

My 2 cents: Try Kirkland's 36-pack microfiber towels. I go through them liberally, fresh towel for upper body -> bumpers / lower body -> wheels / tires -> tail pipe -> trash can. Also use fresh towels for drying.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 07:18 AM   #16
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

I love the Carpro merino wool mitt. Among the best wash media I've used. My only caution with it is be careful of it getting caught under badges or tight panel corner seams. I will occasionally find little clumps of wool caught in tight places as I'm drying.
      05-09-2023, 08:27 AM   #17
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

I use them for rinseless washing I wouldn't be comfortable using it with traditionally soap tbh although some people do with no issues. I use my CarPro microfiber mitt for soap wash. I think the myth about sponges being bad came from using grout/bathroom/dollar store sponges on your car rather than sponges made of proper soft foam.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2023, 04:19 PM   #18
Ralph III
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
I use them for rinseless washing I wouldn't be comfortable using it with traditionally soap tbh although some people do with no issues. I use my CarPro microfiber mitt for soap wash. I think the myth about sponges being bad came from using grout/bathroom/dollar store sponges on your car rather than sponges made of proper soft foam.
I actually don't have a problem with sponges or micro mitts. In fact, natural sponges were a long time favorite of many professional Detailers and I assume probably still are. They are very soft when wet and because they are so porous, they are excellent at keeping debris off the surface of your vehicle while washing. I think a quality sponge or micro mitt is fine.

I just much prefer the merino mitt because it accomplishes the same thing, only better IMO. I can also wash significantly faster with it as it covers more surface area. You just have to rinse them out afterward and hang them out to dry.

Good luck,
Ralph
Appreciate 1
P111554.00
      05-09-2023, 05:16 PM   #19
Ralph III
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt View Post
Great tips Ralph! I wanted to reply with my washing routine but what you described is far more detailed and informative than what I had in mind.

My 2 cents: Try Kirkland's 36-pack microfiber towels. I go through them liberally, fresh towel for upper body -> bumpers / lower body -> wheels / tires -> tail pipe -> trash can. Also use fresh towels for drying.
That's good advice. I also reserve different towels for different projects (rims, jambs, drying, interiors). I recommend quality microfiber waffle weave towels for drying paint surfaces though such as offered by Griots, Chemical Guys, Meguiars (etc). In all honesty though, I don't think any compare to the Platinum Pluffle for paint surfaces. It is highly absorbent but also very plush and soft. It works best when damp.

Take care,
Ralph
Appreciate 1
cpt395.50
      07-14-2023, 01:23 AM   #20
Romen
Registered
Rep
Drives: Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1209582 View Post
seems like the technology has gotten better? i was skeptical at first, but watched a video where trapped dirt releases almost immediately with a light scrub against a grit guard. this release doesn't happen with a microfiber pad i use. i have to really work for the dirt to release.

most guides seem geared towards rinseless washes, but im interested in pairing with traditional soapy washes. anyone have experience with sponges?
Hey,
Here are some sponges commonly used for traditional car wash,
Synthetic Chamois Sponge: Soft and absorbent, made from polyester and polyamide.
Microfiber Sponge: Plush texture, lifts dirt without scratching, excellent absorption.
Natural Sea Sponge: Soft and durable, harvested from the ocean, holds soapy water well.
Foam Sponge: Lightweight and affordable, made from open-cell foam.
Remember to choose a sponge designed for automotive use and clean it regularly to prevent scratches.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 06:34 AM   #21
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40i xDrive

I know this video is about a rinseless wash but take a look at the sponge that's being used.

Appreciate 1