BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-06-2020, 03:59 PM   #11969
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I run 10.5 square on the F80 CS and the E92 M3 and the E90 M3 for their track setups.

They fit perfectly. I wouldn't do it any other way.

If you were to maximize the wheels that fit on an E9X without doing strange modifications you could use 10.5 front and 11 rear, but what is the point of the additional 0.5" extra you could fit in the back? A 10.5 tire correctly seats any tire that can fit into the rear anyway.

Rotating tires at the track is very convenient, maximizes flexibility and reduces fuckups. KISS principles, always

I struggle to understand staggered track setups... I can't see any benefit. The car's weight split is 50/50 and if you look closely at front vs rear wear, the fronts wear more at the track.

Some people really want to complicate their lives. More power to them, but for anyone who is normal, it is extremely simple because the E9X is an old car and has been tracked up the wazoo. Just get 10 or 10.5 square in an 18" wheel, end of story.

I'd like to play devil's advocate here: why does every performance car run staggered from the factory if square is superior? Wheel and tire sizing by the OEM is not arbitrary.
I feel fairly confident that the real fast corvette guys in NASA TT are running square setups. Like costas and Mosely. I'll ask Chet what he runs on FB.

Update - Chet runs 345/335 staggered...lol.
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11586.00
SYT_Shadow11490.00
      05-06-2020, 04:43 PM   #11970
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

IMO the reason manufacturers run staggered on RWD sports cars is for safety. Which scenario is more dangerous for your average driver? slight understeer, or slight oversteeer?

Obviously slight understeer is more manageable for the average consumer, which is what the staggered setup caters towards.

I have been running 275 square on my m3 for about 2 years now, and i love it. The reason i love it is that i DO NOT like to feel understeer in my RWD cars. Slight oversteer feels much more natural to me. I have not experienced any type of heavy steering, or tramlining as some others have. My m3 is a street car, which at best see winding mountain roads once a month. My track duty is covered by my e30, which obviously is running widest tire possible in square setup.
SYT_Shadow11490.00
      05-06-2020, 06:49 PM   #11971
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Long shot here, but does anybody has a source other than kw for replacement torx camber plate bolts for the clubsports? A couple of mine are in less than stellar condition due to some overtightening by an alignment shop...
      05-06-2020, 07:53 PM   #11972
StripclubDJ
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney View Post
I do like the idea of being able to rotate tires. Concerned about changing up the dynamics of the car. How many people in this thread are running square?
It's great. And if you don't like the balance, adjust with a rear spacer.

I use a 5mm rear spacer with my square setups. It is a noticeable improvement in power-down
Bro
What? Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 08:19 PM   #11973
fsmtnbiker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evora S, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
Long shot here, but does anybody has a source other than kw for replacement torx camber plate bolts for the clubsports? A couple of mine are in less than stellar condition due to some overtightening by an alignment shop...
McMaster.com pn 91294A287 - 5mm hex instead of torx. I swapped all of mine out. 25-pack is like $6.

Edit: torx pack of 10: 90236A169
Appreciate 3
tsk941522.00
Bartledoo2691.50
Kelse921131.50
      05-06-2020, 09:04 PM   #11974
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
Both have benefits. Square obviously allows for prolonged tire life from being able to rotate the tires all around. Staggered provides a more stable, planted rear end - more confidence inspiring and arguably easier to drive fast.

I started out on square 275 and really liked it. Then I moved to staggered 275/295 - also liked it. Now I'm moving to square 295 for this season and hoping for an improvement from the previous setup.

There is no right or wrong setup (square or staggered). There is however, an optimal setup for a given driver, car and track combination. Some people will prefer a staggered while others a square. A square setup can be tuned to be neutral or understeer just like a staggered setup can be tuned to be neutral or more oversteer biased. A lot more aspects come into play to determine handling balance then just the relation of front to rear tire size.

In my opinion, the fastest setup will be a staggered setup, where you maximize the widest possible front and rear tire for this chassis. Something like a 295/315 or 305/315. Tuned accordingly this will be faster then a 295 or 305 square setup as you will have more mechanical grip then the square setup counterpart. Since we are able to run a wider rear then front tire with stock bodywork. So for outright lap time and competitive events (racing or TT) this would be the way to go. I believe this is what OG Shark said he was doing with his car earlier.

For your average track day/HPDE guy though, I'd say go square. It's a proven setup that works and your tire life will be prolonged and save you a bit of money in the long run.
Exactly what I was getting at! No right, no wrong, just whatever works for you in your situation.

I do not think anyone is saying that a staggered setup is always better than square - just that it can be the better choice depending on the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
My favorite was Andy Hollis with 275's front and 245 rears on his FWD Honda.
Andy was my instructor at my first ever HPDE way way back in Oct. '18. Was a great experience - learned a lot from him. Didn't sugarcoat anything - just would tell you exactly like it is. His emphasis on awareness with me still is always in my mind when I get on track - he really ingrained that into me & I'm very thankful he did. Think I'm very fortunate to have gotten a good instructor my first time out like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I feel fairly confident that the real fast corvette guys in NASA TT are running square setups. Like costas and Mosely. I'll ask Chet what he runs on FB.

Update - Chet runs 345/335 staggered...lol.
Different animal when you are able to fit 335 fronts - they are not having to downsize the rear in order to run square. I would love to try that on the M3 but not sure if it will get past the < 3" fender flare rule
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2020, 10:42 PM   #11975
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

On the square vs staggered street topic, it makes sense to me if I think of the steering implications with a wide front setup. Tramlining and heavy steering is annoying for most drivers. Annoys me if I ever drive on 275 or wider fronts with this car on the street.

More annoyance = less buyers
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 11:58 PM   #11976
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

Ok next question. WTH is happening here. Mrs. Barney walked out to the garage and came back in casually saying "oh btw you car is leaking something"

What!?!?!???

So I go out to the garage and find some drips coming from the rocker area in front of the rear passenger wheel. Clean, slight green tint. Not slick, smells like water. I didn't taste it (but I probably will).

Jacked the corner up and looked under the plastic and didn't see anything, just some wetness as if I had washed the car. I haven't washed the car in a week and a half. When the back corner was in the air, the drip moved to the underside corner of the rock panel behind the front wheel, same side.

Dipped a paper towel in the coolant tank to compare color. Coolant is bluish, this is pale greenish. Not the same. Almost looks like the same color as windshield washer fluid?

I'm a pretty good mechanic but this has me stumped! I put a cup under to catch the drip. It's just dripping...amount shown is after a couple hours.
Attached Images

05-07-2020, 12:02 AM   #11977
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Washer fluid is near the passenger side fender vent.
      05-07-2020, 12:18 AM   #11978
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Right. So then I couldn't figure out how it could possibly result in a steady drip at the rear of the rocker panel.
      05-07-2020, 12:19 AM   #11979
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Update: I tasted it. Didn't have have a glycol type texture. Tasted like shit. Definitely not just water. That was a terrible idea. Proved nothing.

Haha.
XKxRome0ox1587.50
      05-07-2020, 12:20 AM   #11980
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Right. So then I couldn't figure out how it could possibly result in a steady drip at the rear of the rocker panel.
Leaking into the rocker and dripping out towards the rear?
      05-07-2020, 12:32 AM   #11981
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

It's in the front area though, so how would it get to the rocker panel? I'll check it out.

Possible identification: while rinsing with listerine repeatedly I had an epiphany. I remembered that BMW equipped our cars with leaf catchers in the lower corner of the windshield/back corner under the hood! What if some water got in the leaf catcher!? So I poured some water in there and it drain out through that rocker area. Behind the front wheel. That could explain how water got in there.
      05-07-2020, 03:09 AM   #11982
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsmtnbiker View Post
McMaster.com pn 91294A287 - 5mm hex instead of torx. I swapped all of mine out. 25-pack is like $6.

Edit: torx pack of 10: 90236A169
Thank you sir. You have all of the good info lately.
      05-07-2020, 10:13 AM   #11983
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

My car, with about 100lb of weight lost at or behind the rear axle (exhaust and battery and wheels) scales out at 52/48 with me in it. Because of my seating position and the midships location of the driver's hip point on this car, driver weight seems to affect cross more than front/rear

Quote:
It's in the front area though, so how would it get to the rocker panel? I'll check it out.

Possible identification: while rinsing with listerine repeatedly I had an epiphany. I remembered that BMW equipped our cars with leaf catchers in the lower corner of the windshield/back corner under the hood! What if some water got in the leaf catcher!? So I poured some water in there and it drain out through that rocker area. Behind the front wheel. That could explain how water got in there.
Yeah I was going to say, that looks like algae-filled water to me

Try sticking it in a bottle and spinning the bottle around windmill style in your hand like you're trying to get the last ketchup down by the opening, and see if it stratifies

and take video, obviously

I continue to recommend against taste-testing leaks from automobiles

If your car had a sunroof I'd say sunroof drains maybe? but nope

The only other thing I can think of is maybe the battery tray has collected water without you noticing (this happens more than you'd think when seals start to dry out). There's a very, very small drain so it might take some time to get down to the rocker, but it also would be behind the rear wheel, not in front, soooooooo....aliens?

Last edited by Richbot; 05-07-2020 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #11984
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Square is superior *for the track*. I do not run square setups on my street cars, namely because I do not need to pull 1.4g entering an offramp. I don't like square setups on the street because it makes the steering too heavy for my tastes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
Both have benefits. Square obviously allows for prolonged tire life from being able to rotate the tires all around. Staggered provides a more stable, planted rear end - more confidence inspiring and arguably easier to drive fast.

I started out on square 275 and really liked it. Then I moved to staggered 275/295 - also liked it. Now I'm moving to square 295 for this season and hoping for an improvement from the previous setup.

There is no right or wrong setup (square or staggered). There is however, an optimal setup for a given driver, car and track combination. Some people will prefer a staggered while others a square. A square setup can be tuned to be neutral or understeer just like a staggered setup can be tuned to be neutral or more oversteer biased. A lot more aspects come into play to determine handling balance then just the relation of front to rear tire size.

In my opinion, the fastest setup will be a staggered setup, where you maximize the widest possible front and rear tire for this chassis. Something like a 295/315 or 305/315. Tuned accordingly this will be faster then a 295 or 305 square setup as you will have more mechanical grip then the square setup counterpart. Since we are able to run a wider rear then front tire with stock bodywork. So for outright lap time and competitive events (racing or TT) this would be the way to go. I believe this is what OG Shark said he was doing with his car earlier.

For your average track day/HPDE guy though, I'd say go square. It's a proven setup that works and your tire life will be prolonged and save you a bit of money in the long run.
This is what I was getting at. Any time I see blanket statements like "X is best", it makes me pause because there's no context provided. People misunderstand or think there is a one-size-fits-all answer to their problem. Tracks are different, driving styles are different, conditions are different, and everyone's cars are different. I have always started with the OEM setup as a baseline and adjusted based on what didn't fit my situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayE30 View Post
IMO the reason manufacturers run staggered on RWD sports cars is for safety. Which scenario is more dangerous for your average driver? slight understeer, or slight oversteeer?

Obviously slight understeer is more manageable for the average consumer, which is what the staggered setup caters towards.
I don't really buy that, given that every car these days has very sophisticated stability and traction control systems. Those systems will step in plenty early on anything stupid you do on the street. More experienced drivers will have the instinctual reaction on how to correct over/understeer on the track (and are probably turning much of that stuff off anyway).

The OEMs choose wheel and tire sizes very deliberately and after significant testing. There are of course NVH and cost considerations, but the car is being tuned to handle a certain way. This is very complex and requires involvement from the suspension team, chassis team, electronics team, etc. For a track car maybe some of those things don't matter, but completely discarding all of the R&D the OEM has done is not the approach I take.

Just my two cents. Always appreciate the dialogue in this forum.
tsk941522.00
      05-07-2020, 01:35 PM   #11985
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I theorize while a ton of research and development goes into suspension and handling, they do want to build understeer into a car. It's simple- understeer is easier to recover from than oversteer. The average person is going to jab the brakes when the car isn't doing what they want it to do. When understeering, that usually fixes the problem, when oversteering, a spin is likely.
      05-07-2020, 04:51 PM   #11986
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

About 18 lbs down so far gents. Trunk liner, sound deadening, deck lid trim, and some fasteners.
Attached Images

05-07-2020, 05:11 PM   #11987
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Anyone have any insight for removing the rear floor carpet? It extends under the front seats and center console... I'm hoping the seats and console don't have to come off.
      05-07-2020, 05:16 PM   #11988
evilspiritM3
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2018 F87 M2

Garage List
2018 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Anyone have any insight for removing the rear floor carpet? It extends under the front seats and center console... I'm hoping the seats and console don't have to come off.
They have to come off to get it all. It's a PIA if you don't do it in order by removing the console first.

Or you can get your scissors out.
      05-07-2020, 05:18 PM   #11989
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I have some nice garage scissors, but I'll only do that if I can get it all.
      05-07-2020, 05:44 PM   #11990
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep

Garage List
I tore my rear carpet out, like a savage.