BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-01-2018, 12:45 PM   #155
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon@ View Post
+1 the SSP gasket package is awfully expensive...
It is costly. Time will tell if it holds up. I got mine during a Black Friday sale a year ago, so perhaps waiting for a sale or organizing a GB would be prudent.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #156
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddalun View Post
It is costly. Time will tell if it holds up. I got mine during a Black Friday sale a year ago, so perhaps waiting for a sale or organizing a GB would be prudent.
Please let us know. I am curious to know how it holds up.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 05:26 PM   #157
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

I've had just the lower SSP viton gasket and stainless screws installed since July and will be inspecting it soon to see if I also need to install the side gasket. I'll provide an update once checked.
      01-14-2018, 01:26 PM   #158
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Looks like I am at least half-way there, this new lower pan looks way better than the last with the viton gasket installed. It does look like a very slight leak on the rear half though, I gently tightened the rear lower pan bolts but think the fluid is coming from the side pan. Not keen on lowering the transmission at the moment so this will have to wait for another day.
Attached Images

01-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #159
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

This seems telling:
Attached Images

01-14-2018, 06:45 PM   #160
kabeero
Rep
Drives: E90

does the lower pan need to be replaced along with the Viton gasket due to warping?

is there any guide for lowering the transmission? my mechatronics gasket is leaking pretty badly, pretty sure I can't get all the bolts out without dropping it
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 07:57 PM   #161
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

People say that they are able to replace the side gasket without fully dropping the trans.

The dealer will drop it, an indy might not.
There’s also a top gasket as well, somewhere up top.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 10:07 AM   #162
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
People say that they are able to replace the side gasket without fully dropping the trans.

Yes, there the top can leak as well. Mine did, from the hose/pipe mount.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-15-2018, 11:04 PM   #163
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Looks like I am at least half-way there, this new lower pan looks way better than the last with the viton gasket installed. It does look like a very slight leak on the rear half though, I gently tightened the rear lower pan bolts but think the fluid is coming from the side pan. Not keen on lowering the transmission at the moment so this will have to wait for another day.
Terrible, judging by the pics... the SSP gasket also leaks with the OEM plastic pan and new bolts... I'd expected more coming from a $399 gasket package.
The biggest issue is that the heat coming from the transmission warps the plastic pan ever so slightly that it causes a leak.
I suspect replacing the pan with an Aluminium pan and sealant type gasket will be the right fix.
I'm going to pick up this sometime this summer. http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1450190
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 11:01 AM   #164
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabeero View Post
does the lower pan need to be replaced along with the Viton gasket due to warping?

is there any guide for lowering the transmission? my mechatronics gasket is leaking pretty badly, pretty sure I can't get all the bolts out without dropping it
I don't believe my lower pan needed to be replaced but we had the part on hand and decided to go for it.

BMW TIS may be the only reference for lowering the transmission, not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post

I recall reading something about folks doing this but having put eyes on this recently I don't see how you would ever tighten the top bolts properly without lowering the transmission.

Quote:
Terrible, judging by the pics... the SSP gasket also leaks with the OEM plastic pan and new bolts... I'd expected more coming from a $399 gasket package.
The biggest issue is that the heat coming from the transmission warps the plastic pan ever so slightly that it causes a leak.
I suspect replacing the pan with an Aluminium pan and sealant type gasket will be the right fix.
I'm going to pick up this sometime this summer. http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1450190
From the tray it appears that most of the fresh fluid splatters appear to be coming from the side pan at least. It's also possible that my lower pan bolts just needed to be tightened slightly on that side, TBD. I do a lot of my own work but I didn't do this particular job and am not sure what they were originally tightened too. That said I think you are onto something regarding the plastic lower pan.

Perhaps the more cost effective solution to this issue, if you only have a slow leak, is to just top off the fluid on a regular basis.

Does anyone know how to check the DCT oil level using BMW Tools? That would also be nice to know.
      01-16-2018, 11:05 AM   #165
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Good find here also, I like the cooling fins!
      01-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #166
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Perhaps the more cost effective solution to this issue, if you only have a slow leak, is to just top off the fluid on a regular basis.
Ryan - To confirm, your DCT leaked, even with SSP Viton gaskets and SS hardware, and a new plastic OE pan? Ugh!

If so, I guess I can look forward to more leaks.

Anyway, I ordered the Slon-Workshop DCT pan. Can't go wrong for $750 shipped.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1419526
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 02:34 PM   #167
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ryan - To confirm, your DCT leaked, even with SSP Viton gaskets and SS hardware, and a new plastic OE pan? Ugh!

So I only installed the viton gasket on the lower pan along with a new lower pan, ss hardware, new filters and new fluid. I did not install the viton gasket on the side pan yet but plan to do so at some point when I drop my transmission. FWIW the shop that installed everything said the filters and fluid looked great and probably didn't need replacing (this was at about ~35k miles), since we already had them on hand we went ahead and replaced the filters.

Prior to this work my entire lower pan was covered in DCT fluid, with the new lower-pan/gasket/hardware it looks like far less fluid is leaking from the lower pan. It does look like I have a side pan leak also (with the original side pan and original OE gasket still installed).

That Slon-Workshop DCT pan looks legit, nice!
      01-17-2018, 02:50 PM   #168
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I only installed the viton gasket on the lower pan along with a new lower pan, ss hardware, new filters and new fluid. I did not install the viton gasket on the side pan yet but plan to do so at some point when I drop my transmission. FWIW the shop that installed everything said the filters and fluid looked great and probably didn't need replacing (this was at about ~35k miles), since we already had them on hand we went ahead and replaced the filters.

Prior to this work my entire lower pan was covered in DCT fluid, with the new lower-pan/gasket/hardware it looks like far less fluid is leaking from the lower pan. It does look like I have a side pan leak also (with the original side pan and original OE gasket still installed).

That Slon-Workshop DCT pan looks legit, nice!
Got it. I'm still a little bummed that your lower Viton gasket leaked (albeit significantly less than the OE gasket).

I am hoping with the Slon-Workshop pan, and the SSP Viton gasket in-place on the side pan (mechatronics cover), the leaks will be resolved. The additional fluid capacity is a boon as well.

If the leaks continue after these additions, then an occasional top-off (and wipe down) like you mentioned may be best.

Last edited by buddalun; 01-17-2018 at 06:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1478.00
      01-17-2018, 03:16 PM   #169
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:

nice, how did you get it for $750? the group buy was $1,000.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 03:49 PM   #170
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
nice, how did you get it for $750? the group buy was $1,000.
Check the thread for pricing details (I posted a link above).

Here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1419526
Appreciate 1
Patrón544.50
      01-17-2018, 05:20 PM   #171
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

If I recall correctly if the DCT fluid ever goes too low it will trigger a code.
Good choice on the ALU pan. $750 is a great deal, I'm sure you could have held off for $700 as other vendors (TRONIK) are selling it at that price also.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 12:02 AM   #172
kabeero
Rep

Quote:
Good choice on the ALU pan. $750 is a great deal, I'm sure you could have held off for $700 as other vendors (TRONIK) are selling it at that price also.
Gintani makes a nice DCT pan as well for $850
http://gintani.com/product/gintani-d...anced-oil-pan/

(pictures)
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...5&postcount=91

I think if the temperature issues of the DCT are resolved, the Viton gasket is unnecessary.

My understanding is the OEM aluminum bolts are one-time use due to their stretching. The screws are listed as 14x M6x24 for the DCT pan and 12x M6x14 for the mechatronics housing.

Although a little shorter, I think these SS screws should work for the DCT pan:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#92095a488/=1b6ccvs (M6x22, 18-8 SS)
https://www.mcmaster.com/#94500a238/=1b6cfio (M6x20, 316 SS, more corrosive resistant)

And for the mechatronics:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#94500A315 (M6x14, 316 SS)

If anyone has the Viton kit on hand, what screw length did they use for the SS DCT pan?

Last edited by kabeero; 01-18-2018 at 12:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
Theodore668.50
      01-18-2018, 09:19 AM   #173
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

OEM bolts are not aluminum.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 09:46 AM   #174
kabeero
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawBoy View Post
OEM bolts are not aluminum.
SSP kit:
"We have also replaced the factory aluminum stretch bolts with hardened stainless bolts which can be reused."
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 09:54 AM   #175
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm not a fan of the Gintani in that you cannot use the OEM DCT under tray/cover. I believe the SSP unit has the same issue.

Also, what does the baffling look like on the inside of the Gintani?

Finally, since the Gintani is deeper, do they provide a spacer for the DCT oil pickup like the Slon unit? I believe not.

The Gintani seems a decent piece, but perhaps not as well thought out as the Slon, IMO.
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1478.00
      01-18-2018, 10:43 AM   #176
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the Gintani in that you cannot use the OEM DCT under tray/cover. I believe the SSP unit has the same issue.

Also, what does the baffling look like on the inside of the Gintani?

Finally, since the Gintani is deeper, do they provide a spacer for the DCT oil pickup like the Slon unit? I believe not.

The Gintani seems a decent piece, but perhaps not as well thought out as the Slon, IMO.
I just went through and read all of the marketing on each option and agree. I think the Slon baffling could be helpful for the track also. Apparently it takes them 8 hours to mill this piece, hence the price. Good purchase at $750.