BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-01-2017, 04:50 PM   #133
Townending
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawBoy View Post
I purchased the the one twinturbo30psi sells on ebay. It installed and fit without any issues. It's only been installed roughly 2 months, so no long-term results yet.

Previous : 2013 Audi A4 Moonlight Blue - Stage 3 (K04) E85

Last edited by Townending; 06-01-2017 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 07:13 PM   #134
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink09 View Post
The only aftermarket aluminum pan I remember seeing / hearing about was the Gintani one and that one does hang lower and does away with the OEM undertray.

Is there another pan out there that is more durable than the plastic one that retains the OEM set up?
Wont the Viton seal with the OEM pan fix the issue? I don't think the issue has anything to do with the pan itself no?

Mine is having this same problem by the way, I was about to order almost 600$ worth of parts from ECS but good thing I read about it on this post. Since its recurring, changing it with OEM parts would be kind of pointless.

Does anyone know if there is a sensor for low transmission oil? Maybe we can just keep toping it off.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 07:16 PM   #135
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629 View Post
Looks promising, but what is that price... a bit crazy
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 11:41 PM   #136
Ink09
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT / 84 E30 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeA View Post
Wont the Viton seal with the OEM pan fix the issue? I don't think the issue has anything to do with the pan itself no?

Mine is having this same problem by the way, I was about to order almost 600$ worth of parts from ECS but good thing I read about it on this post. Since its recurring, changing it with OEM parts would be kind of pointless.

Does anyone know if there is a sensor for low transmission oil? Maybe we can just keep toping it off.
Is topping off even an option, at what point would one know when to add fluid?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 10:25 AM   #137
BLiteM
Rep
Drives: 99,04,09 M3s(all sold)2013 M5

I'm sorry if this at all off topic, but I have asked this question before on a different thread and did not receive the answer I was looking for.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=17_0437

The lines from the Heat Exchanger to the Thermostat or "Regulator for oil temperature"(#12 & 13 in the above diagram) are leaking on my car. I was quoted over $1200 by my local dealer to replace these(mostly labor). I think this is outrageous but what should I expect from the stealership. These lines are about $300+S&H

My question is do I need to have the car hooked up to a computer in anyway to change out these lines or can I replace them and follow this method http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746269 to ensure the fluid level is correct? I can see the lines and don't think I need to lower the transmission to release them, one side is a quick release connection the other is one bolt for both lines, I would obviously do this with the car cold as I've read the fluid can get quite hot. Is there anything I'm missing here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 01:24 PM   #138
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiteM View Post
I'm sorry if this at all off topic, but I have asked this question before on a different thread and did not receive the answer I was looking for.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=17_0437

The lines from the Heat Exchanger to the Thermostat or "Regulator for oil temperature"(#12 & 13 in the above diagram) are leaking on my car. I was quoted over $1200 by my local dealer to replace these(mostly labor). I think this is outrageous but what should I expect from the stealership. These lines are about $300+S&H

My question is do I need to have the car hooked up to a computer in anyway to change out these lines or can I replace them and follow this method http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746269 to ensure the fluid level is correct? I can see the lines and don't think I need to lower the transmission to release them, one side is a quick release connection the other is one bolt for both lines, I would obviously do this with the car cold as I've read the fluid can get quite hot. Is there anything I'm missing here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
i'm not of any help, I don't recognize where those connect to. what city are you in? i think the connection to a computer is to data log the fluid/temp and level maybe? i know when changing the fluid a shop does hook up the computer during the fill process.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 12:44 PM   #139
BLiteM
Rep
Drives: 99,04,09 M3s(all sold)2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
i'm not of any help, I don't recognize where those connect to. what city are you in? i think the connection to a computer is to data log the fluid/temp and level maybe? i know when changing the fluid a shop does hook up the computer during the fill process.
Patron,

I appreciate your input. I'm in the Houston area (went to school at UTSA). These lines run on the drivers side of the transmission and run fluid through what I believe is a thermostat then throught a heat exchanger which looks like it's on the top of the transmission. I'm surprised this answer is so hard to find. I'm likely just going to catch the fluid in a clean container to see how much comes out. Then fill the DCT with the method I mentioned above to ensure it's at the correct level.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 03:27 AM   #140
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink09 View Post
Is topping off even an option, at what point would one know when to add fluid?
It is an option, but I don't know when we would need to top it off!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 09:27 AM   #141
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiteM View Post
Patron,

I appreciate your input. I'm in the Houston area (went to school at UTSA). These lines run on the drivers side of the transmission and run fluid through what I believe is a thermostat then throught a heat exchanger which looks like it's on the top of the transmission. I'm surprised this answer is so hard to find. I'm likely just going to catch the fluid in a clean container to see how much comes out. Then fill the DCT with the method I mentioned above to ensure it's at the correct level.
Quote:
It is an option, but I don't know when we would need to top it off!
there is a cycle you have to do during the fill up process that includes get the fluid to operating temps (probably thermostat for dct cooler) then keep filling until is spills out the filler hole. please don't hold me to that but search through the dct threads in the DIY section of the forum. i think the connection to the computer is to see if the thermostat has opened etc...

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 01:38 PM   #142
JDM_CL9
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
I purchased my 2011 M3 about two years ago at 84,XXXKM and noticed during an oil change that the DCT pan had a bit of fluid sweating, nothing major at the time. At every oil change, I continued to inspect the leak and it never seemed to get any worst.

Sometime last season, I started getting some weird transmission glitches where when driving in D2, once in awhile if I came to complete stop, the transmission would stay in gear 4 when it normally would downshift back to 1. Once in awhile, I would also get the Yellow warning message saying the transmission was overheating and to avoid driving at walking speeds etc. (This warning would once in awhile appear 5 to 10 mins after a cold start! ). Also began noticing when moving from a stop, that the transmission would engage rather rough vs smooth like it once did 2 years ago.

Fast forward to last week, car is at 117,XXXKM and I decided to do a DCT Service which included Fresh Pentonsin FFL4 DCT fluid, OE suction filter, OE pressure filter, and Updated DCT Pan with gasket. Old fluid was a bit dirty but nothing major...?

After completing the service, the transmission is operating WAY smoother. No more rough engagement when moving from a stop etc. I've been trying to drive the car more often since to see if any of the other previous issues return but haven't noticed anything.

Wondering if the transmission is sensitive to having less than ideal amount of fluid within?
///Mobbin1478.00
Theodore668.50
      06-19-2017, 07:36 PM   #143
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM_CL9 View Post
I purchased my 2011 M3 about two years ago at 84,XXXKM and noticed during an oil change that the DCT pan had a bit of fluid sweating, nothing major at the time. At every oil change, I continued to inspect the leak and it never seemed to get any worst.

Sometime last season, I started getting some weird transmission glitches where when driving in D2, once in awhile if I came to complete stop, the transmission would stay in gear 4 when it normally would downshift back to 1. Once in awhile, I would also get the Yellow warning message saying the transmission was overheating and to avoid driving at walking speeds etc. (This warning would once in awhile appear 5 to 10 mins after a cold start! ). Also began noticing when moving from a stop, that the transmission would engage rather rough vs smooth like it once did 2 years ago.

Fast forward to last week, car is at 117,XXXKM and I decided to do a DCT Service which included Fresh Pentonsin FFL4 DCT fluid, OE suction filter, OE pressure filter, and Updated DCT Pan with gasket. Old fluid was a bit dirty but nothing major...?

After completing the service, the transmission is operating WAY smoother. No more rough engagement when moving from a stop etc. I've been trying to drive the car more often since to see if any of the other previous issues return but haven't noticed anything.

Wondering if the transmission is sensitive to having less than ideal amount of fluid within?
This is why I was thinking about topping it off, but if that procedure has to be done, it would be a difficult process and worth doing a DCT service at that point. Im not sure if its okay to mix old fluid with new either.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 11:54 AM   #144
JDM_CL9
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
This is why I was thinking about topping it off, but if that procedure has to be done, it would be a difficult process and worth doing a DCT service at that point. Im not sure if its okay to mix old fluid with new either.
I'd base it on your mileage, if you're getting up there - might be worth doing the full service.

Topping up with the same fluid is ok.
      06-30-2017, 02:14 PM   #145
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629 View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm having this repair done soon and will try these out if they are in stock.

SSPKris left you a voicemail!
      06-30-2017, 03:24 PM   #146
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

SSP Viton gasket kit ordered, also includes stainless steel screws, nice!

Thanks you SSPKris
      06-30-2017, 06:27 PM   #147
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR

Thank you for the business. You will like the new seals....

Kris
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 04:59 AM   #148
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Went to the dealer this morning for an oil change. Took and quick look while the car was on lift and sure enough I could spot some wet on the box. Didn't seem much, but heck I had the box replaced to a brand new only 2.5y/15k miles ago, WTF.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 09:07 AM   #149
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Took a closer look today. While first time it leaked from the top so the box had to come down, this time it seem to be the hose. Hoping for this and a fairly straight forward fix. Again box/hose/cooler only have 15k miles since brand new so waiting to see what BMW does in turns of goodwill.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 05:53 PM   #150
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

What’s up guys f10 m5 owner here....used to own a e92 m3 with dct that had no issues.

Anyway back at 48k Miles on the m5 I noticed my transmission pan which is the same as e9x m3 had a weep. Now almost 10k miles later I have this horrible whining coming from the gearbox thet sounds like a supercharger. However the noise goes away in 5th gear.

Dct is acting great never had any errors come up.

I’m thinking of doing the pan and fluid flush.

Any of you guys have a whining noise ? Apparently this noise happen when the dct low on fluid.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 05:56 PM   #151
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Also does anyone have the number for those new bolts? I hear those bolts become loose and cause the dct
To lose the oil people have just replaced those with good sucsuess
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 06:39 PM   #152
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E63amg View Post
Also does anyone have the number for those new bolts? I hear those bolts become loose and cause the dct
To lose the oil people have just replaced those with good sucsuess
28107842386. You are going to need 14 of those.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 11:03 AM   #153
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Data Point:

I've owned two DCT-equipped E9X M3s. Both leaked, regardless of mileage and care (meticulous). I opted for the SSP Viton Kit with SS hardware mentioned above and have been running it for about 6 months with no leaking as of yet. I will check for any leaks at my next service as well.
Appreciate 2
///Mobbin1478.00
Timujin352.50
      01-01-2018, 12:25 PM   #154
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Looks promising, but what is that price... a bit crazy
+1 the SSP gasket package is awfully expensive...
Appreciate 0