BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

01-23-2019, 03:45 AM   #23
mrspecter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd501 View Post
This is really what it comes down to, and I've seen it said each time this thread topic comes up; no one here wants to trade in their M3 for a 335.

(Except the couple of guys who think it's not good for city driving, which doesn't make sense to me.)

I'll even take it a step further and say that I would never have traded my E46 M3 for E92 335. If you're just looking at torque and 0-60, your missing most of the point of the M.
I'm curious as to why it doesn't make sense that this isn't a very good city car?
I live in the suburbs of NYC, specifically Long Island and I already feel overwhelmed with the amount of traffic to comfortably push the M3 in any daytime traffic. Can you imagine driving this thing through the grids of Manhattan with 25mph speed limits and no twists?

I can't say the same for LA as I've never been there before, but I can't imagine the M3 being much fun in LA traffic either.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 04:59 AM   #24
jd501
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspecter View Post
I'm curious as to why it doesn't make sense that this isn't a very good city car?
I live in the suburbs of NYC, specifically Long Island and I already feel overwhelmed with the amount of traffic to comfortably push the M3 in any daytime traffic. Can you imagine driving this thing through the grids of Manhattan with 25mph speed limits and no twists?

I can't say the same for LA as I've never been there before, but I can't imagine the M3 being much fun in LA traffic either.
Entirely valid point that LA / West Coast is likely a different scenario than NY / East Coast. Yes, there's tons of traffic, but there's also some pretty great roads and even stretches of freeways within 20 miles of downtown.

I suppose part of it is I work from home almost 100% of the time I'm not traveling, so every time I get to drive it's still fun for me, even in traffic.

For me the M3 still feels entirely capable and not stiff or rough at all in downtown LA, and to your point, SD / OC / and even West LA / Santa Monica don't really count as "city" driving.

My E36 and E46 were 5MT / 6MT, ended up getting DCT in the E92, that may be part of it too. It was frustrating getting in first and then getting out of first every minute for an hour in traffic with a manual, DCT not so much.

I guess my point is that I can't imagine I would be happier in traffic in a 335, or really any other car.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 07:54 AM   #25
steezus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i & AW M3

I still have my fbo 335 and I literally may only drive it once every 6 months. I let my dad technically have it. I'd pick my M3 almost stock 10 times out of 10.

Instagram: ryn.chrs
www.rynchrs.com
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 07:54 AM   #26
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd501 View Post
Entirely valid point that LA / West Coast is likely a different scenario than NY / East Coast. Yes, there's tons of traffic, but there's also some pretty great roads and even stretches of freeways within 20 miles of downtown.

I suppose part of it is I work from home almost 100% of the time I'm not traveling, so every time I get to drive it's still fun for me, even in traffic.

For me the M3 still feels entirely capable and not stiff or rough at all in downtown LA, and to your point, SD / OC / and even West LA / Santa Monica don't really count as "city" driving.

My E36 and E46 were 5MT / 6MT, ended up getting DCT in the E92, that may be part of it too. It was frustrating getting in first and then getting out of first every minute for an hour in traffic with a manual, DCT not so much.

I guess my point is that I can't imagine I would be happier in traffic in a 335, or really any other car.
Good post. Yes, we certainly have world class roads here in SoCal.

I had a 6MT which has extremely tall 3/4 gears and so the only way I could enjoy 3rd was to go 110moh which is getting a little crazy. Further, the motors true character is from 6krpm up and thus it takes a LOT of shifting to keep the motor on the boil....which I found, almost, tiring.

The DCT has much shorter gears and is much more effective at keeping the motor where it needs to be and thus would greatly enhance overall enjoyment in normal life. Had I owned a DCT car I might have a totally different opinion of the car. I may try one out just to scratch that itch because the car is pretty awesome.

But as others have said, it does take effort to extract performance from it - it is not a car that just rips at every throttle tip in. Quite the contrary - unless you are in the perfect gear it can feel lethargic in the real world. A 335 never feels lethargic and so a prospective buyer should understand this.

The E9XM is a purist car that requires deliberate effort to really perform. When driven correctly it is one of the most thrilling experiences one can have. If you don't put in the effort it is does not reward you.

Current - 2022 540XI M Sport, BSM/Black
Sold - many M3s and an M4

Last edited by EricSMG; 01-23-2019 at 08:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 10:59 AM   #27
fatalelement
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 Space Grey M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspecter View Post

I live in SF now but was in LA the vast majority of my life, and every time I visit home (every 2 months or so) I drive the M3 down and drive it in LA.

LA traffic is very predictable, and directional. It's almost never the case to have traffic in both directions. So it hugely depends on: 1) the time, and 2) where you are and where you're going. It's generally pretty avoidable entirely if you can shift your schedule 2 hours in either direction.

LA has a TON of huge, long roads that are many lanes wide (surface streets 6, sometimes 8 lanes across with no potholes). New York doesn't have that at all. The lights in LA also, at great cost, are all synchronized, so most places you can drive in a straight line quickly without hitting lights over and over again.

It was pretty common back in law school for me to be able to safely hit 70-80 on surface streets in LA, as they're so wide and well-lit and straight in most places it's hardly an issue. Not saying it's legal or SUPER safe, but LA has many streets larger than typical highways/freeways.

The M3 is a great city car in LA, but in SF, for example, where the roads were built in a medieval cobblestone fashion and repaired once a millennium and traffic is complete ass, I generally take my car outside of the city to drive it.

If your city is empty at night and has smooth, sweeping roads like LA, it's a fantastic city car, but otherwise, you won't get much room to enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 11:58 AM   #28
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGatsby View Post
If you pull up to a stop light and in front of you there's an E92 M3 sitting next to a 335i, which grabs your attention?

While that same 335i could pull ahead from the M3, will you care? Or will you listen as 8 individual throttle bodies consume the atmosphere and blast a siren song from its quad trumpets all the way to 8400 RPM.

The M3 will take some getting used to. You'll have to learn the torque curve, the steering feel, and the gearing. You'll have to put in the work to understand how it's engineered to reach its full potential. The 335 is easy to get in, press the pedal and with gobs of torque you're off. The M3 requires a proper warm up, the right suspension, engine, and gear settings. To drive one is an experience, and an incredible one at that.

If used this analogy before but it stands true: just like a new relationship, you have to learn what makes her tick. If you date just an average girl you may get away with leaving your dirty laundry on the floor, playing video games on a Friday night, and expecting dinner on the table. But if you date a perfect 10, you will have to clean up after yourself, take her to proper dinners on your dime, and put in the effort or she will get bored.

Put in the effort, learn what makes the M3 tick, and you will enjoy it far more than your 335. I am certain you will never look back.
You sir need to be a writer. Your detailed and vivid description was to much for me. I need to go home and turn on my car and go for a drive now
Appreciate 1
MrGatsby348.00
      01-23-2019, 12:45 PM   #29
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siajoon View Post
You sir need to be a writer. Your detailed and vivid description was to much for me. I need to go home and turn on my car and go for a drive now
Appreciate the kind words, Siajoon!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 02:39 PM   #30
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2c. LBB, 6mt

Garage List
For the people who say the M3 isn't fun to drive in traffic/city, I will ask them this: what car is fun to drive in traffic?

Is the M3 'fun' to drive in traffic and/or over shitty city roads? No, nor do I think any car would be. The M3 is obviously much more fun to drive on open roads. But, i also dont dread driving it in the city/traffic. I daily drive my M3 (including winter) in Wisconsin and we have some shitty roads. When i am just tooling around the city, i still enjoy the car and listening to the amazing engine note.
      01-23-2019, 03:42 PM   #31
xcusem3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averdi View Post
Would you guys say a majority of the benefits from going from a 335 to an m3 is track related ? I've always wanted an m3 , I've been through 2 335s and I'm ready for an upgrade
A small part is track related for sure but there is so so so much more to the m3 that the 335i wishes it had! The interior is a HUGE step forward compared to the cheap plastic feel of the whole interior on regular e9x cars. The leather is much more soft, seats are better. Sound system is better (if you get individual)

The driving dynamics and turn-in are what you'll notice the most, the car feels like an extension of your body in every aspect possible!

There are so many more as well, you need to drive an m3 to experience it.
      01-24-2019, 12:13 AM   #32
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

I came from 335i, just get the m3. You will thank me
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 12:51 AM   #33
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5

I upgraded from an e92 335iS to e92 M3, both MT.
In my opinion,
M3 is enjoyable if you have access to open roads with less traffic and are able to rev it out regularly.
335 is more fun driving in traffic/ lower rpms.
M3 engine sounds special whereas 335 sounds good but nothing special.

Sometimes we upgrade just because M3 exists and we can afford to! Either way, both are lot of fun, in their own different ways!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 09:22 AM   #34
dklobucista
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averdi View Post
What's going on??

I've owned 2 N54's , my most current being a stage 2 e90 2010 Xdrive. I started a job in sales so I recently bought an older x5 as my work car/beater.

Now that I have this x5, I want an upgrade from my 335. I test drive the f80 m3 and look wise it's gorgeous, but driving wise the sound didn't impress me and it felt softer. Although, if money wasn't an issue I'd probably get myself into one.

After a lot of thinking, I'm looking to spend 20-30k on my upgrade, not 40-50k. I'm starting to think an e92 m3 might be the answer. The only part of me that is holding back is knowing that my 335 is going to feel faster with the torque.

Has anyone else been in my situation where they're coming from a 335 but debated to upgrading to an e92 m3?

Look forward to hearing your insight
You are comparing a modded (335) to a stock car (m3). Yes the 335 will technically be faster. But get into a stock e92 m3 and all of that goes away honestly. You are in a different machine, I'm sure you won't keep it stock (you will make up the power as you go).

I came from a 07' modded n54 335i owned, to a 15' m4 lease, to a 17' x5m lease, to a 16' m4 convertible lease, and now I bought a 13' m3 and man am I impressed with this car. The 8,400 rpm redline feels endless, the downshifts just make you smile all day long. The N/A v8 is something else. I have had the m3 for a couple days now and I'm in love. Never the less between all the cars I have had have all given me different experiences and connections to the car. It's really a question of what you are looking for?

For myself I wanted a car that I can enjoy and not care about how fast my previous cars were because at the end of the day someone will always be faster. I almost bought a 2013 m6 but deeply I loved the e92 so I kept questioning myself "the m6 is so much faster" but I didn't have that connection to it the m6, I decided to put aside all thoughts and follow my heart, I give a lot of credit to the e92 m3.

I say go for it you will not be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 10:01 PM   #35
Zoorah12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

I came from an 07 335i with a number of mods and upgraded to an 08 e92 M3.... just stop thinking about it and do it. I loved my 335... but it was a piece of shit in comparison to M. Hands down.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 09:03 PM   #36
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

I had a FBO N54 335 (in my sig), now a 10' E92 M3 (with an ESS supercharger). The FBO N54 was an awesome car, but just didn't have the keep me forever feeling the M3 gives. Even my E46 M3 had the "it" feeling (I had two of them).

I could have poured more money into the car, but knew it would take suspension, LSD and bigger turbos to satisfy me. Even then the car is just not special. The M3 wheel arches alone are possibly enough to justify the upgrade.

At the end of the day M cars are just way more special compared to the non M cars.

Last edited by M3R1; 03-25-2019 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #37
chrisg123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Scion xB

I have a black 6mt 2008 e92 m3 with Active Autowerks level 2 supercharger that I’m thinking of selling. It has 72,500 miles on it. I have all the maintenance history from Active Autowerks available. I’d let it go for $25,000 or best offer. It’s making 530whp. Rod bearings were done by active 3 1/2 years ago when the supercharger was put in. I’ve put 40,000 on it since then and it’s completely reliable.
Appreciate 0