BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #1
M3takesNYC
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Testing for brake energy regeneration with Bt tool?

It seems nobody has reached a conclusion after 6 years whether the US cars have BER?

Does someone familiar with logging know if and which value on the BT tool could bring some light to this?

Would monitoring alnternator voltage or something while driving and when off throttle/braking show a clear difference in alternator being at a "zero" value or what not?

I would like to do some logs to prove this one way or another to finally put this question to a rest!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
M3takesNYC
Banned
Rep

Shoot I would have thought people would be really interested in this. It used to stir up quite the debates based on reading old threads. Was hoping some of the pro tuners would know if its possible. I guess I will play around with BT tool and see if I can figure something out
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 01:10 AM   #3
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

All M3's have this feature not just EU M3's. The reason why no one is interested is because it is such an insignificant feature in the grand scheme of things.

BER is not really a big deal anyway, many manufacturers have controlled the field current on their alternators with the ECM for years. The BER on the M3 is just a spin on ECM controlled alternator field circuit that automatically goes to full field current (full rated alternator output) whenever the brakes are applied. Also, the ECM will still energize the field circuit under load if voltage drops low enough to warrant it........ Such an overhyped feature
      03-06-2013, 01:31 AM   #4
ScreaM
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

6 years..maybe no one cares
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
M3takesNYC
Banned
Rep

Well based on they many threads from the past, many cared at some point. I guess I am just a nerd when it comes to this stuff. Something cool to me about being as efficient as possible in terms of making power.

Funny though people post about pulley's every second thread which is really no different than having BER. Same concept.

It actually is important because when the pulley threads come up, people talk about underdriven a/c and alternator. A/C already disconnects under hard throttle and if we knew aobut BER and confirmed we had it than underdriving the alternator is useless for full out power as it already decouples.

Makes for a more educated purchase about buying a pulley knowing you really are only underdriving power steering and water pump and the others are already de-coupled.

See I am a nerd though
Appreciate 0