BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

08-08-2018, 05:15 PM   #45
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcusem3 View Post
I'm located in Calgary, AB and the local dealer has always been stellar! The BMW NA class action suit doesn't account for Canada but I'd be more than willing to send all the paperwork and correspondence to someone who is part of that suit to help a fellow s65 owner out..
For the sake of all your S65 brothers and sisters, if you're willing to, it couldn't hurt!
Appreciate 1
xcusem3456.50
      09-25-2018, 12:11 PM   #46
xcusem3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPLV View Post
Quote:
I went the CPO extended warranty route through Bmw on my low mileage '13 and all I can say is thank god I purchased it!! To date I'm approaching $11k in warranty work.

Here's what's been replaced so far:
-o2 sensors (3 times)
-coils
-plugs
-injectors
-entire wiring harness for the s65
-new ECU ($2800 for the unit, no lab incl)
-entire exhaust incl cats (no rear section though)
-TA's
-6 oil changes

*going for rod bearings in 6 days... still have another year left on the warranty
You got a lemon bruh.
I bought it with only 7400kms on the clock.. it's been over a year and 18k kms since the check engine light has come after that work was done, it almost all got replaced at the same time, came down to a bad ECU.

Also for anyone interested I just picked the car up from the dealer with brand new rod bearings done fully under warranty. Yes bmw will preventatively do rod bearings!
      09-25-2018, 12:25 PM   #47
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:

Also for anyone interested I just picked the car up from the dealer with brand new rod bearings done fully under warranty. Yes bmw will preventatively do rod bearings!
The dealer would just replace the bearings with new stock bearings which will not solve the bearing problem.
      09-25-2018, 05:22 PM   #48
xcusem3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Quote:

The dealer would just replace the bearings with new stock bearings which will not solve the bearing problem.
So, at least they replaced them under warranty with a fresh set...
      09-25-2018, 05:29 PM   #49
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
So, at least they replaced them under warranty with a fresh set...
That doesn't change anything.

Bearing failure is not because of wear. It is a fault in the OEM design of the bearings itself. That is why engines blow up with 5k miles as often as those with 100k miles.

Just putting in new BMW bearings does not change the likelihood of bearing failure. You are just replacing a defective part with another defective part.
      09-28-2018, 08:36 AM   #50
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
That doesn't change anything.

Bearing failure is not because of wear. It is a fault in the OEM design of the bearings itself. That is why engines blow up with 5k miles as often as those with 100k miles.

Just putting in new BMW bearings does not change the likelihood of bearing failure. You are just replacing a defective part with another defective part.
I don't understand. If the RB issue isn't because of wear, then why does everyone post pictures of their old bearings when they replace them? If I'm not supposed to be observing wear in these pictures, what are we supposed to be seeing?
      09-28-2018, 09:40 AM   #51
330ciprem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 E92 M3, 06 E46 330ci, 6spds

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
I don't understand. If the RB issue isn't because of wear, then why does everyone post pictures of their old bearings when they replace them? If I'm not supposed to be observing wear in these pictures, what are we supposed to be seeing?
Every mechanical component goes through SOME amount of wear and tear.

What he meant was that the OEM bearings see accelerated bearings and crap way before they should. That drips down to the reason that they don't have enough clearance.

Aftermarket bearings add the clearances and slow down the bearings to a bearable extent (see what I did there? )
Appreciate 0