BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Closed Thread

03-25-2008, 04:32 PM   #1013
ganjadude
Rep
Drives: 99 grand am GT

wonder if we are getting an update today. I think dooma said he was going in to discuss the "circumstances"
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 04:34 PM   #1014
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Im curious about the circumstances too, i really think they are going to brand the car with Lincoln BMW everywhere.
      03-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #1015
Rossland
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: US 06 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainsux View Post
This whole episode made the hometown newspaper:

http://journalstar.com/articles/2008...e060113124.txt

(moosepoop got a special mention.)

-doug
The joke de jour
“No, we’re just trying to do the right thing,” Mathis said. “We don’t legally have to do this. I’m getting a lot of publicity on it, maybe I’ll sell some more cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 04:43 PM   #1016
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossland View Post
The joke de jour
“No, we’re just trying to do the right thing,” Mathis said. “We don’t legally have to do this. I’m getting a lot of publicity on it, maybe I’ll sell some more cars.
      03-25-2008, 04:46 PM   #1017
AML
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mercedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossland View Post
The joke de jour
Yeah right. I think this is almost as funny as moosepoop and ArtPE.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 04:49 PM   #1018
na335i
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

-doug
wow...incredible!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 04:51 PM   #1019
rainsux
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G35 & Italia

> almost as funny as moosepoop and ArtPE

ArtPE who??? <g>

Frankly; I never expected the local media to
touch this matter. I was wrong. Attaboy LSJ.
I hope I'm wrong about the TV stations too.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 05:08 PM   #1020
bmw-m6
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedCarSalesmanwCombOver View Post
BMW only cares about CSI from those who actually bought from the dealership and not from those who call based on an EBAY auction that has gone sour.

Of course, as this story continues gain momentum, BMW NA will have no choice to step in. But Ken is right. You guys need to stop harassing the dealer.
true about the CSI, but from increased consumer (prospective buyer's) awareness, this dealership might never have any chance to be able to send in any CSI evaluation cards due to loss of sales.

EBay has something to lose, namely reputation as a safe and fraud-free place to transact goods.

BMW has something to lose.... again, increased consumer awareness might associate this dealer's practices with other dealerships across the globe. the dealership represents the brand, BMW, and so far, it hasn't done a very good job.

a car's value is what the market will bear....in this case, apparently not too many ppl have the means to shell out top dollar for this car for that particular location.

if they're adamant in stalling so dooma can't win on a technicality, i'd say go to the next step. you've been patient, while they're stalling. you've tried to engage in friendly dialogue to get them to commit, they've stalled. i'm sure a lawyer would take this possibly landmark case, reduced fees or pro-bono. if not, even if every person donated $1 to your cause, that would help. they're obviously so full of it, and trying to call your bluff of caving. if you lose the ability to acquire your car, make sure they lose their license to deceive other potential victims.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 05:12 PM   #1021
rainsux
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G35 & Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMKN_PI View Post
Here is the scumbag sodomite rat amateur car salesman's 2 most active myspace accounts...add him as a friend, wont you please?

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=276441582
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=152937794
On one of his MySpace pages, he claims a Batchelor degree, but
chose not to list his graduation year. The other page shows
"some college."

I guess that it's possible that both are true, but that's a bet
that I would decline.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #1022
bmw-m6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootrac22 View Post
at the very least they are not living up to company philosophies

http://www.bmwgroup.com/bmwgroup_pro...home/home.html

I would say that this is far from the highest quality service.
right on !!

i hope BMW isn't standing idly by while this dealership is making a mockery of the name. obviously a bmw m3 is a FINE automobile worthy of higher prices within reason. here, its the dealerships fault. they put it on auction, knowing full well the risks. if they had wanted sticker, or close to it, they should've set up the auction that way, and "suckers" who want to pay double can. but they didn't.

there is *NO* buyer's remorse for autos, and there should be *NO* seller's remorse as well (fair is fair).
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 05:21 PM   #1023
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:

-doug
For me the best part of that report was this...

Quote:
We didn’t have the reserve set properly,” Mathis explained. “We had a ‘buy it now’ at $67,800. It was an error by our eBay manager, $67,800 was supposed to be the reserve.
Yeah, right...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #1024
bmw-m6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb2 View Post
I would love to hear what the practicing attorneys that previously commented in this thread would have to say about that.

It's been a few years since I was in my Business Law course, but I believe that when the dealership called Dooma 15 minutes after the auction stating they would not sell him the car they broke the contract at that moment. That would mean that Dooma doesn't need to worry about a down payment in 24hrs or even full payment in 7 days at this point as there is no contract in existence at the moment. The issue at hand is that the dealer backed out of the contract illegally and must reissue the same offer, at which point I believe the 24hrs/ full payment in 7 days conditions would come back into effect.
in court, if i were judge, and i see buyer had financing available, and ready to go, and dealer is stalling, i'd make sentence to have dealer make same offer with same terms, and give window. then dooma can choose a secure, verifiable payment option to finalize.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 05:39 PM   #1025
bmw-m6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
One member pointed out after some very clever sleuthing, that is be possible that the dealership was/is shill bidding against their own eBay auctions. It would be interesting to see if this has been going on for a while and eBay never caught onto the fact that his Powerseller was in fact committing fraud for a while now... and it is possible, since eBay is too big to handle the endless fraud that happens on that service each and everyday.

This is what I'd like to see pursued and what eBay's answer or investigation concludes.

Although this is really about Dooma and his M3, this situation, has opened up a very deep Pandora’s box.
well, in that case, they can wiggle out of it, but such admission would mean they lose there license/exclusive rights as a dealer and never sell cars again.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 05:41 PM   #1026
bmw-m6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erdoran View Post
My guess is that the conditions will be that dooma publishes an agreed-upon posting to this and some other key boards stating that the transaction has been completed to his satisfaction--and I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I personally don't have a problem with that IF dooma is indeed satisfied. All the other stuff--damages, free airfare, gas cards, etc--really is unnecessary and not really appropriate in my eyes. The dealership made good--they tried something & didn't get away with it so they did the right thing (presumably). End of discussion.
true, but a little (within reason) compensation couldnt hurt their image,and could possibly help a very little bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 05:48 PM   #1027
Junior Barnes
Rep
Drives: 78 Schwinn Varsity, lime green

I believe that Ken's (a.k.a. Dooma's) lawyer has given us the key, via the LJS, as to why we haven't heard from the man himself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Journal Star
"In an interview Tuesday, Tanisaka’s lawyer, Scott Tepper, said he couldn’t comment because discussions with the dealership were still going on."
I think it's a pretty safe bet that if the lawyer doesn't feel comfortable talking about it, he's advised his client to remain silent as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 05:53 PM   #1028
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

quotes from Journal Star article:

"Ryan Mathis, sales manager for Husker Auto Group, acknowledged Monday the dealership had agreed to sell the car to Tanisaka.

We didn’t have the reserve set properly,” Mathis explained. “We had a ‘buy it now’ at $67,800. It was an error by our eBay manager, $67,800 was supposed to be the reserve.”

His dealership’s service record is impeccable, Mathis said, and he doesn’t feel as though publicity from the Web commenters muscled him into anything."

Yeah right buddy. They were getting so much bad press it was crazy. Typical asshole dealer attitude.

Still showing the arrogant attitude that got them into trouble in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 06:06 PM   #1029
bmw-m6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3aficionado View Post
Anyone that has bought recently from Lincoln BMW should offer their paperwork copies to the OP so he can use them as an example of what he SHOULD be receiving. The dealer is already trying to add additional conditions so its a safe bet the paperwork will be special for the OP which is why he needs a contract lawyer to review. The dealer has already proven they cannot be trusted by trying to back out so I wouldn't put it past them slipping some extra terms in the paperwork.

Under NO circumstances should he sign any additional conditions beyond what was posted on the eBay auction.

At this point he should keep his head down and work through the details with the dealership. But part of me wants to see a group of lawyers donate their time so he can walk in with a whole legal team followed by a news camera crew. Then we can all watch the dealers expression when he says he is there for his car.

I noticed a lot of people from Lincoln, Nebraska posting. Some people have become fanatical about this situation. I wonder if he will have a supporting crowd when he picks the car up.

What are the odds of the dealer offering free floormats?

i also agree on the conditions. what makes or gives them any right or ability to make demands ? (such audacity). complete the deal as is, with probably a few small amenities to redeem yourself a bit. thats a start to rebuilding your reputation, unless its past the point of no return, and damage is irreverisible. they'll have to really work to gain trust again.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #1030
bmw-m6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaham3 View Post
To all,

I purchased my 2008 m3 at bmw of lincoln, so I feel that I must provide a unique point of view that I would like to share. I will keep it short and only to 3 thoughts.

To begin, I have had a purely business relationship with the Catania family on many occasions. The family comes from a hard working class of people. I have represented the family in a number of real estate dealings and know first hand that the family is a down to earth group of people. Fil's (the gm's) father always made sure that I was paid for my efforts and never taken advantage of, though some other real estate folks would like to backdoor most clients. With this, I know that Mr. Catania and his sons know the difference between right and wrong even when the lines are sometimes unclear at best. I personally respect the family very much. So the matter of this all being a big mistake, I hope that is the case and it can be worked through.

Secondly, I understand most people on this board have very little regard for car dealerships and car sales people in general. Our society has painted them both in a negative light. I can only hope that as many people who read and make these posts that at least as many stand up and tell their stories of the positive experiences. Today's car dealers are spending more and more to attract buyers with a product that has an ever greater shrinking margin. One does not need to be an insider to witness this!

Thirdly, The team of people at bwm of lincoln treated me with the greatest amount of respect. I felt like I was a being well treated throughout the purchase process. I know that I was buying a car at the high end of the market, but I believe this group would do the same for the average chevy buyer. The bmw manager went above and beyond my expectation. Both I and they knew that outside their doors, I was just a regular guy, but inside, I was a special buyer. I say this because I witnessed how another buyer was being treated while I was waiting for the my car to be ready. The staff was making sure this man was being made special also.

So, I hope all turns out for the best tomorrow for both parties. Stories like these only take away from the spirit of the brand and the aura of the car.
true that. all it takes is a few rotten apples to spoil the bunch for everyone else, particularly in this profit-driven business.

i've never met the dealers, but so far, the way they've represented themselves, speak VOLUMES. they thought they could pull a fast one (well, 2) by catching someone on ebay, then trying to cover their tracks, and trying to bully a client.

when i was car shopping, a fellow college kid told me something along the lines of :

sure, they'll make you feel number 1, king of kings, give you all the attention ... especially AFTER fleecing you, b/c they know in a few yrs, you'll think of the experience, and come back for another fleecing.

they're supposed to make you feel special, but to them, you're just another dollar sign (chances are how personal is the relationship after a few hours of pressuring you to buy and increase their commission).
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 06:24 PM   #1031
bmw-m6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvB4EvA View Post
I understand how that seems logical and I would agree if I didn't look into it more myself.

Here is a quote from eBay:

"Bid safely: eBay limits how your bid history information is displayed by using anonymous names. Your complete user ID is shown to the seller of this item only. Bidders are assigned anonymous names, such as x***y. These anonymous names are used consistently across all auctions that exceed a certain level.

Note: Anonymous names may appear more than once in the bid history and may represent different bidders from different auctions"

My understanding on that it even tho the same "5***i" is used. That does not mean it is the same user-ID or account.
true, i guess if case escalated legally, they might be forced to reveal identities.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 06:36 PM   #1032
bmw-m6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzlvr View Post
Okay can we agree the salesman messed up? I don't think the dealer never wanted not to make things right but how to make things right, there are quit a few links in the chain of comand that needed to be contacted. Toss in a weekend to slow response time down and this group of haters to crucify BMW of Lincoln and it really makes this group look bad. I think some rational talk with Fil and he would make things right. In the end Dooma350 will get his car. I hope people will realize that this type of negitive activity only makes the group as a whole look bad, a little persistence and the deal would have gone through. Now all the haters on this group just look stupid.
the dealership deserved this public backlash, and they should chalk up their "mistake" (*COUGH*COUGH*), and call it a lesson learned. this protects other buyers from being taken advantage of.

and how did the dealer want to rectify the situation ? you'd be kidding yourself if they'd amicably resolved their "misunderstanding" fairly.

look in teh mirror if you want to see something stupid.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 06:37 PM   #1033
toddy33
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Lexus IS250

I'm goin' nuts here...I never thought in a million years I'd be this curious to find out what the heck the ending to a story is! Sheesh.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 06:40 PM   #1034
bmw-m6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
BMWNA should have stepped up to protect their brand integrity regardless of eBay. It is in their best interest to uphold their policies and customer service. I would not be surprised if BMWNA contacted Dooma, we just don't know about it. I hope they did. I've been a very long-term customer of BMW and would hope for the same support if this was me. And as for eBay, they’re useless when it comes to these sorts of issues. I'm sure if someone, or a group, had the funds, they could uncover a massive shilling abuse/fraud on eBay that would lead into a multi-million dollar class action suit... But again, who's going to take on eBay? I believe they are worth, on paper, more than the big 3. Sad.
i'm a bit perplexed to see no general message on their site reiterating something along the lines of "....we want to ensure loyal owners that we strive for excellence, and care greatly about the concerns of public buyers...blah, blah, blah".
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread