BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-07-2020, 02:15 AM   #1
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Rear wheel carrier lower control arm bushing jammed in lower control arm

So I was finishing the last pre track season mod, swapping the rear springs in my kw clubsports, down to the last bolt fastening the lower control arm to the wheel carrier, and I somehow managed to get the bushing sleeve diagonal and it is stuck between the mating surfaces of the control arm. Anyone have any advice for how to safely get it out? If only it wasn't a cast aluminum control arm. Then maybe I could just use a spreader to slightly open it to realign the bushing. Ahhh so damn frustrated. I was basically finished with all of this pre-season work!!! Now I'm stressing.
      05-07-2020, 05:02 AM   #2
chalbe
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, jeeps

I've done that. You are going to have to be a little rough with it. Undoing the sway bar endlink may release some tension so the angle of the carrier can change or it can rotate a little. And/or a heavy deadblow could be good to use since it won't risk damage to the control arm. You might need to undo, or at least loosen the lower shock mount too.

I am editing my post to add that I used a brake caliper pry bar from the bottom. The deadblow will work, but this is better. This is the tool I used: https://shop.snapon.com/product/Pryb...bar/MPBS1140AO It's a weird little pry bar that works for a lot of things.

Last edited by chalbe; 05-07-2020 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 05:48 PM   #3
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalbe View Post
I've done that. You are going to have to be a little rough with it. Undoing the sway bar endlink may release some tension so the angle of the carrier can change or it can rotate a little. And/or a heavy deadblow could be good to use since it won't risk damage to the control arm. You might need to undo, or at least loosen the lower shock mount too.

I am editing my post to add that I used a brake caliper pry bar from the bottom. The deadblow will work, but this is better. This is the tool I used: https://shop.snapon.com/product/Pryb...bar/MPBS1140AO It's a weird little pry bar that works for a lot of things.
Dead blow wouldn't work for me. I really had it jammed like a fool. I found a simple tool I had never used before, the drift pin. Thankfully the holes were actually somewhat lined up, just crooked as hell, so tapping the drift pin in straightened it right up. Thankful I didn't totally f it up. I definitely marred the mating surfaces a little bit though :-/
      05-08-2020, 05:07 AM   #4
chalbe
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, jeeps

Nice. I had to look up drift pin to see what it is. Screwdrivers have done that job for me before, but this looks better. When I had the same issue there were some aluminum shavings from the control arm. Since the bearing/bushing is pinched by the control arm when torqued I didn't see a need to sand it. There haven't been any issues or noises for me since installing the clubsports 1.5 years ago....until I read your post I forgot this happened.
Appreciate 1
Bartledoo2691.50