BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-01-2020, 06:43 PM   #1
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

I'm in the midst of an extensive suspension refresh front and rear. I had ordered aluminum rear sub frame bushings with OEM differential bushings. Real OEM notes that the two of the differential bushings are part # 33 31 2 284 019. However after pressing out the bushings the shop says the correct part number is 33 31 2 283 019. (From AllData a pay for service) This part is noted to be for an M5 and is slightly smaller. Anyone else run into this issue?

One can see the old bushing is slightly smaller than the new one. The new one won fit into the subframe.

At least I'm working from home, and the added time in the shop isn't a big deal as it is my daily driver.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 08:35 PM   #2
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 AW

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
According to Ecstuning & FCPEURO, 33 31 2 284 019 is the correct part for M3 and I also have a set on hand (not installed) that look identical to the new bushing that you have posted. I just went to my garage and checked.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/33312284019/

https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/M3...02%20284%20019

I will say that the 33 31 2 283 019 looks identical as far looks go but may differ in size.: This part is also labeled to fit the M5 and NOT M3. Maybe your shop is confused. Also, I'm willing to guess new bushings should look slightly bigger as opposed to the old worn bushings but I'm no expert in that area. Just speculating. Where did you buy yours?
      05-01-2020, 09:15 PM   #3
drrust
Captain
Rep

I purchased mine from ECS. The OD of the new bushing exceeds the ID of the subframe piece. The diameter difference is not that much, but enough to raise a concern with the mechanic. He identified the other part number from another web site. Will verify when they come in. The 284s definitely were more oversized than one would expect.

Most threads deal with poly differential bushings, but this variation was a surprise. Not sure if most just force the larger bushing in.

Shop is one of the most experienced in my area. One can see vintage Jags, Corvettes to new exotics there. I always look forward to see the track toys that are in the shop.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 09:30 PM   #4
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrust View Post
I purchased mine from ECS. The OD of the new bushing exceeds the ID of the subframe piece. The diameter difference is not that much, but enough to raise a concern with the mechanic. He identified the other part number from another web site. Will verify when they come in. The 284s definitely were more oversized than one would expect.

Most threads deal with poly differential bushings, but this variation was a surprise. Not sure if most just force the larger bushing in.

Shop is one of the most experienced in my area. One can see vintage Jags, Corvettes to new exotics there. I always look forward to see the track toys that are in the shop.
Keep us posted. I'm curious to see the outcome of this. I plan on having mine installed with solid subframe bushings next month. Do you plan on replacing the rear mount bushing (33312283384) too?
      05-01-2020, 10:16 PM   #5
drrust
Captain
Rep

My E90 currently has ~165K miles. I'm having all new bushings and suspension arms installed. Picked up a rear subframe and had it powder coated after pressing out the old bushings. Using Turner solid Al subframe bushings and OEM for all other in the rear. Also having an M Factory carbon fiber drive shaft installed. Using ECS trailing arms too.

On front end replacing all suspension arms but using black Powerflex bushings in lower control arms that I had installed previously. For shocks I using a ZCP suspension that had about 30K miles on it. (Have yet to figure out the coding, but likely remote.) Found a set of Vorshlag camber plates on Craig's List while visiting relatives over the holidays. (It was meant to be!) For tie rod end I went with the Turner units that ECS had, not much more than OEM per side.

Only regret is not having the hubs/bearings replaced with the IND units. Currently economic uncertainties prevented that splurge.

You can tell I'm committed to owning this car for a few more years.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2020, 10:13 AM   #6
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrust View Post
My E90 currently has ~165K miles. I'm having all new bushings and suspension arms installed. Picked up a rear subframe and had it powder coated after pressing out the old bushings. Using Turner solid Al subframe bushings and OEM for all other in the rear. Also having an M Factory carbon fiber drive shaft installed. Using ECS trailing arms too.

On front end replacing all suspension arms but using black Powerflex bushings in lower control arms that I had installed previously. For shocks I using a ZCP suspension that had about 30K miles on it. (Have yet to figure out the coding, but likely remote.) Found a set of Vorshlag camber plates on Craig's List while visiting relatives over the holidays. (It was meant to be!) For tie rod end I went with the Turner units that ECS had, not much more than OEM per side.

Only regret is not having the hubs/bearings replaced with the IND units. Currently economic uncertainties prevented that splurge.

You can tell I'm committed to owning this car for a few more years.
Yeah my E90 is a 2008 with 85k. I've recently got rid of my blown edc shocks and upgraded to KW V3, replaced front thrust arms with new equipped with G.A.S monoballs, new front sway bar bushings, ecstuning trailing arms (custom powdercoated), Dinan Rear toelinks (custom powdercoated). New rear control arms & rearward arms. Had my driveshaft replaced when I got my rod bearings done along with vibra-technic motor mounts. Turner Motorsport solid subframe bushings & OEM diff bushings are up next!
Attached Images

05-02-2020, 11:03 AM   #7
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicteal_M3 View Post
Yeah my E90 is a 2008 with 85k. I've recently got rid of my blown edc shocks and upgraded to KW V3, replaced front thrust arms with new equipped with G.A.S monoballs, new front sway bar bushings, ecstuning trailing arms (custom powdercoated), Dinan Rear toelinks (custom powdercoated). New rear control arms & rearward arms. Had my driveshaft replaced when I got my rod bearings done along with vibra-technic motor mounts. Turner Motorsport solid subframe bushings & OEM diff bushings are up next!
Nice! Did the ECS trailing arms add any NVH? What were the differences you felt after doing this?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 07:43 PM   #8
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
Blank

No NVH. I haven't noticed any difference since I had multiple things done all at once (toelinks, rear control arms & rearward control arms. Plus I haven't had the chance to really stretch her legs since Covid.
      09-20-2023, 12:00 PM   #9
Viasat32
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 N55

New bushings are bigger. There is a special cone which compresses them when you press it in.
Appreciate 0