BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

04-20-2023, 02:18 PM   #1
TigerM3
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Dealer says remote key on backorder

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi guys. I recently bought a 2011 E90M3 that only came with one key. The car doesn't have comfort access. Last weekend I stopped by the nearest dealer (60 miles away) to order a 2nd key. They told me the key most likely would be ready for pickup on Tuesday. I called them today to see what the hold up was and they said they have the blade but the remote is on backorder and they have no idea when they'll get it (seems like important info that should have been disclosed when I paid $300 for the key). I guess they're still dealing with chip shortages, has anyone recently run into this problem? How long did it take to receive it? See the link below. It looks like I just order a key online and save $100 in the process. Am I missing something here?

https://www.thebmwminipartstore.com/...U0VPIFBhZ2U%3D
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 02:36 PM   #2
tbuck
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2016 F23 M235i

Keys have to come from a dealer and generally require you to show proof of ownership. The dealer will then have to program the key to the car. With CA there is another step to get the key to work with the CA. Having done this a few times over the year I can tell you it is often a pain in the ass. The key being out of stock is not likely a permanent issue. I have been able to get keys for 30 year old cars. It may just be the chip shortage as you say.
      04-20-2023, 07:11 PM   #3
TigerM3
Private
Rep

Hopefully it gets resolved soon. I read an earlier post where a guy had been waiting 4+ months and still hadn't received the remote part of his key. Weird world we're living in with so many technological advances yet obtaining a simple key is a pain in the ass.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2023, 09:16 AM   #4
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

OP,
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I believe you are out of luck. Out of curiosity, I've checked with two local dealers and was told this part is no longer available. So, I checked with Schmiedmann, and it doesn't even show up as a valid number. I hope I am wrong, but you might end up buying a refurbished one. Good luck either way.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 03:25 PM   #5
tbuck
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2016 F23 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawBoy View Post
OP,
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I believe you are out of luck. Out of curiosity, I've checked with two local dealers and was told this part is no longer available. So, I checked with Schmiedmann, and it doesn't even show up as a valid number. I hope I am wrong, but you might end up buying a refurbished one. Good luck either way.
Lets hope you were misinformed. That would be a rather bad move for BMW considering how many E9x's are still running around. I purchased a key for my E46 2 years ago through the dealer with no problem. While they may not be readily available ATM it would be uncharacteristic of BMW to stop making such a required part. The blade you can get anywhere, but the fob can only be had from a dealer (if you want it to work right, that is).
      04-22-2023, 02:02 PM   #6
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbuck View Post
Lets hope you were misinformed. That would be a rather bad move for BMW considering how many E9x's are still running around. I purchased a key for my E46 2 years ago through the dealer with no problem. While they may not be readily available ATM it would be uncharacteristic of BMW to stop making such a required part. The blade you can get anywhere, but the fob can only be had from a dealer (if you want it to work right, that is).
I am with you, but the P/N given by OP cannot be found on ECS, FCP and several others, also showing as no longer available.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 09:58 AM   #7
TigerM3
Private
Rep

Finally got fed up and drove to the dealer to get my blade portion. Lo and behold the parts lady comes from the back with my blade AND remote. They had my remote for 3 weeks and never called me. This is why I try to do as much of my own work as possible. Really can't depend on people to do their jobs.
Appreciate 2