BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-15-2019, 11:37 PM   #1
abdulbata
Center Employee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5C

Anyone running Ground Control complete coilover system

So after days of searching the internet and the forums, I can't find any reviews on the full ground control coilover system for the e9x chassis.

I've seen a lot of good reviews for the e46 m3 chassis.

Anyone running this coilover system? Looking for feedback, I'm really thinking about trying these out as they are competitively priced based on the fact they come with the camber plates and they will custom build them to my favor and needs.

I spoke to Jay from GC and he's very knowledgeable and is confident this is a good coilover system for the e9x chassis.

At the under $2k mark, seems pretty promising. I see a lot of good reviews about the sleeve conversion kit for people who have EDC. However my e92 is non EDC.

My other option is a used set of KW clubsport 2 way coilovers, the ones I'm considering are pretty used up tho, at least they look like it. I know these are a way better coilover, but don't know about buying a brand new set right now. If anyone is selling a clean used set, feel free to PM me, I'd be very interested.

I do plan to track the car 3-5 times a year.

Thanks in Advanced for the input.
Attached Images

09-16-2019, 09:34 PM   #2
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Never seen these before so hard to say. The Sachs coil overs are around $1800 and seem well reviewed. Personally though I'd spend up and get Ohlins R&T, I have them paired with GC camber plates and they are a great double duty setup. Very compliant on the street when dialled back, similar ride comfort to stock with better composure. On track they are a big step up too, but not as stiff as something like Clubsports.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 02:20 AM   #3
abdulbata
Center Employee
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Never seen these before so hard to say. The Sachs coil overs are around $1800 and seem well reviewed. Personally though I'd spend up and get Ohlins R&T, I have them paired with GC camber plates and they are a great double duty setup. Very compliant on the street when dialled back, similar ride comfort to stock with better composure. On track they are a big step up too, but not as stiff as something like Clubsports.
Yeah I figured not many have ran these. I'll look into the Sachs. I did look into the Ohlins also, not much more than these. But I don't mind a stiffer ride. If anything I kind of prefer it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy these KW CS tomorrow. Would have been nice to get some info on these GC coils though. Wish I can try them out and review them for others.
      09-19-2019, 01:49 AM   #4
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Aren't the Sach coils single adjustable vs. double for the R&T?

How did you add camber plates to the R&T? I thought the fronts are progressive springs for the stock hats?
Thanks.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 08:50 AM   #5
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post

How did you add camber plates to the R&T? I thought the fronts are progressive springs for the stock hats?
Thanks.
The springs are linear. I use the same diameter ground control camber plates as you would use with stock suspension, it's a pretty common setup.
Appreciate 1
aus889.50
      09-19-2019, 09:30 AM   #6
M_Chronos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post

Thanks.
Unsure on the Sachs but the Ohlins are single adjustable although both the compression and rebound force changes with the single adjuster.
Appreciate 1
aus889.50
      09-23-2019, 07:16 PM   #7
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Wish they could come out with a double adjustable kit!
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 02:57 AM   #8
Koolsilver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have ground control coilovers on my car. Mine is technically not a M but I have every M suspension and steering part possible installer on my car including subframe and lsd as well as my spindles are M so I'm using the M coilovers as well. The ride is not harsh and is very comparable to stock as far as comfort is concerned. I think they are a good compromise setup similar to the Ohlin RT or maybe the KW V3. From what I have read the KW CS is in a totally different league and will be very harsh on the street but great on the track. FWIW I believe ground control can make the struts double adjustable for you as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 07:27 PM   #9
abdulbata
Center Employee
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolsilver View Post
I have ground control coilovers on my car. Mine is technically not a M but I have every M suspension and steering part possible installer on my car including subframe and lsd as well as my spindles are M so I'm using the M coilovers as well. The ride is not harsh and is very comparable to stock as far as comfort is concerned. I think they are a good compromise setup similar to the Ohlin RT or maybe the KW V3. From what I have read the KW CS is in a totally different league and will be very harsh on the street but great on the track. FWIW I believe ground control can make the struts double adjustable for you as well.
I figured they would have a more comfortable ride, not necessarily what I'm looking for. I already got the KWCS and installed on my car. It is a little rough but It's good so far. I think they can make the GC Kit double adjustable. I would have went with stiffer spring rates as well. Thanks for the response though!
      11-05-2019, 08:58 AM   #10
k_mann
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Bumping this back up as these have peaked my interest as well. If you factor in the cost of the GC camber plates included the price of this setup is relatively similar to the ST XTA kit from KW, but you get the ability to choose your spring rates with the GC kit, and the rears look to be linear which is nice.

However, at this price point, you start to wonder if its worth trying or spending the extra $500 to get a kit like TC Kline that users like on the track.

I'm looking for split track/street setup (not a daily) so I'd like a more track focused kit and this seems to be a fantastic option

Insta: @kmannc
Appreciate 0