BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

09-05-2019, 01:54 PM   #1
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Retrospective: E9X M3 Steering Wheel – GTS vs M Performance

Think about this: the oldest E9X M3 examples are eleven years old at this point. Certainly looking at it or winding that glorious S65 up to redline would make you think otherwise; perhaps the only real giveaway of its age would be its technology, but it’s a platform that still has a very special place in our hearts.

We recently brought in an OEM GTS steering wheel for a customer and it gave us the opportunity to take a closer look and compare it to the ever-popular M Performance version. To my surprise, there were more differences than I thought so let’s put them both under the magnifying glass and see what’s what.

As far as similarities are concerned, each wheel is the same overall diameter and cloaked in Alcantara. And that’s about it. Really, for as similar as the wheels look from about five feet away, a closer approach reveals a lot more disparities.

Alcantara Color and Shape: The BMW M Performance Alcantara is a deep black, coordinating more seamlessly with the E9X’s all-business interior. As a result, that 12 o’clock colored stripe (this one has been custom dyed red by IND) really pops and pairs well with that darker hue. It’s impossible to ignore the flat bottom treatment here as well; it’s a nice sporting touch reminiscent of more dedicated track car duties. By contrast, the GTS Alcantara is almost GT3-esque, leaning more towards the grey spectrum than black. In GT3 fashion, there is no 12 o’clock stripe—that design cue is saved strictly for their RS models—making this wheel the definitive choice for those looking for a more subtle upgrade.

Center Trim Insert: Truth be told, I’m a little salty on this one. I have a BMW M Performance wheel in my E90, but have lusted after the GTS trim for years. Unfortunately, it’s a piece that’s exclusively available with the wheel and cannot be purchased as a standalone item. For the real E9X heads out there, it’s a cool piece because the checkered flag pattern coordinates with the equally cool Competition / GTS door sills. The M Performance variant comes devoid of any trim—it assumes that you will be satisfied enough repurposing your OEM unit. Fine.

Once the center trim is installed on either wheel, they will happily accept the IND M button (as seen above).

Tri-Color Stitching: This is actually one that caught me off guard. The M Performance wheel stitching will be familiar to all of us—it echoes the familiar wide pattern that we’ve come to expect with the M lineage. But take a look at the GTS wheel—the stitching is not only much tighter, but it’s a different pattern altogether. The visual effect is striking and it reiterates the GTS’s more focused intention. As a small touch, note that the Alcantara seams res more or less parallel to the ground on the M Performance wheel (to match the flat bottom), whereas the GTS is a 45 degree angle.

Closer inspection reveals even more—the GTS tri-stitch wraps all the way around in a really unique way. Although you’ll never see it once installed, it’s an attention to detail that you have to appreciate. In a really nerdy tactile way, it was cool to slide my finger down from the paddle to feel the stitch on the GTS wheel.

But that brings up one more thing: the GTS wheel is designed for DCT use, meaning there are paddle provisions on the backside. Granted, you’re more than welcome to leave the wheel devoid of paddles if you are a 6MT guy, but it’s worth noting.

What do you guys think? Which wheel would make it into your car?
      09-05-2019, 03:10 PM   #2
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Both look awesome but your third option wins for me

Appreciate 2
      09-05-2019, 04:54 PM   #3
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

I recently purchased a car that came with a blue stripe M Performance wheel and really like the low pile alcantara vs my previous p-car's alcantara wheel, great feel even w/o gloves. That said I'm really digging that GTS wheel but afraid to ask the price!

Thanks for the photos and write-up
      09-05-2019, 09:58 PM   #4
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

The GTS wheel is super unique with that trim and stitching. Those two reasons are why I'd want it over the standard MP one, though I could never justify the cost...

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 01:22 AM   #5
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

I have a digital wheel, I am past the flat bottom design though. I would consider the gts wheel if the price wasnt astronomical.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 07:13 AM   #6
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Coby Wheel FTW. Quality is insanely good for the price IMO.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 10:37 AM   #7
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by IND-Distribution View Post
Center Trim Insert: Truth be told, I’m a little salty on this one. I have a BMW M Performance wheel in my E90, but have lusted after the GTS trim for years. Unfortunately, it’s a piece that’s exclusively available with the wheel and cannot be purchased as a standalone item. For the real E9X heads out there, it’s a cool piece because the checkered flag pattern coordinates with the equally cool Competition / GTS door sills. The M Performance variant comes devoid of any trim—it assumes that you will be satisfied enough repurposing your OEM unit. Fine.
I bought the full wheel just for the trim and sold the wheel. This is my current setup and so happy that I did what I did.

09-07-2019, 08:45 PM   #8
For3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Nice.

Noticed the gts trim on your Instagram. I was wondering how you got that trim but had the regular performance wheel.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 11:37 PM   #9
Aktavate
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Red

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
2002 911 Turbo  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
Coby Wheel FTW. Quality is insanely good for the price IMO.
Agreed, not a fan of the top stripe or flat bottom and the flag badge is kind of corny. I really like the GTS stitching though.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 12:15 AM   #10
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Coby wheels are too fat for me, you see I've got these tiny hands. I also don't care for an alcantara steering wheel.. give me a good ol fashion leather wheel with a little shape and I'm happy...
Attached Images

09-08-2019, 04:37 PM   #11
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Thanks for the comparison IND. I think my preference would be the M performance in OE leather instead of alcantara.

But instead of paying even more for a custom M performance wheel wrapped in leather, I have to say the OEM wheel seems more than adequate and I'm content to keep it stock. I definitely like the E9x M3 wheel better than the F8x.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2019, 01:28 PM   #12
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
Thanks for the comparison IND. I think my preference would be the M performance in OE leather instead of alcantara.

But instead of paying even more for a custom M performance wheel wrapped in leather, I have to say the OEM wheel seems more than adequate and I'm content to keep it stock. I definitely like the E9x M3 wheel better than the F8x.
I don't like alcantara either. Check out azaautowheel on Instagram if you want the M performance shape and/or center stripe but wrapped in leather. They make them custom-order for around $350.
      09-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #13
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Cool comparison. Happy to have a GTS wheel. Although it's currently on ice - replaced it with a KMP race setup
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
ebisu81078.00
      09-12-2019, 01:09 PM   #14
MikeM5
Future Classic
Philippines
Rep
Drives: BMW / Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebisu8 View Post
I bought the full wheel just for the trim and sold the wheel. This is my current setup and so happy that I did what I did.

Damn, baller move!

Melbourne E90 M3 | Jet Black E46 M3 | Techno E36 M3 | 997.2 C2S | 958 Cayenne GTS
Appreciate 1
ebisu81078.00