BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions
 
BPM
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-13-2018, 11:08 AM   #67
drrust
Lieutenant
drrust's Avatar
131
Rep
411
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Post View Post
I've been having this bouncing idle and stalls out only on morning cold starts and no other time thru out the day.. No codes.

Should I give this a go?
The part isn't that expensive, it's a matter of if intermittent stalling bothers you enough to try and replace this part.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 01:57 PM   #68
RC Post
Private
33
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Lng Bch Cali

iTrader: (0)

Just replaced breather valve. All information needed is in this thread. Everything went well only part that took the longest was removing the hose off the valve itself which took some effort to pull off but eventually came off.

BUT morning cold start rough idle/bog/stall still persist . AGAIN I'm only experiencing it only in the morning. What else to look for?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 02:14 PM   #69
MPower7
Second Lieutenant
MPower7's Avatar
73
Rep
298
Posts

Drives: 11' e92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SF

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Post View Post
Just replaced breather valve. All information needed is in this thread. Everything went well only part that took the longest was removing the hose off the valve itself which took some effort to pull off but eventually came off.

BUT morning cold start rough idle/bog/stall still persist . AGAIN I'm only experiencing it only in the morning. What else to look for?
Idle control device?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #70
mtx450
Lieutenant
mtx450's Avatar
United_States
160
Rep
547
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekc5475 View Post
Does anyone know if there are any negative side effects to the car if you have this problem and don't replace the valve? As far as I know, it's only the bouncing RPMs for a minute or so after you fill up gas. Can it do some potential damage?
From what I gather, the valve gets stuck open which is what causes all of these issues. I don't think you'd have any issues with flooding the charcoal canister.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 08:43 AM   #71
alefcole
Second Lieutenant
18
Rep
230
Posts

Drives: 2011 ZCP 6MT Jet black E92
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ

iTrader: (2)

Ty
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 08:01 PM   #72
JDNY516
Second Lieutenant
JDNY516's Avatar
United_States
44
Rep
279
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Fairfax, VA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
In the process of doing this, I broke the nipple off the old fuel tank breather unit...Thought I could get the piece out with pliers but to no avail. Have to order an entire new pipe.
__________________
2009 M3 Sedan | Interlagos Blue | Silver Novillo | Style 359M | DINAN |
2002 M3 Convertible | Steel Grey | Imola Red | 6MT | SOLD
2006 M3 ZCP | Silver Gray | Black | 6MT | SOLD
2000 M5 | Oxford Green | Caramel Nappa| BMW Individual Black Birch Anthracite Trim | SOLD
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2019, 08:03 AM   #73
EJT86
Brigadier General
EJT86's Avatar
2046
Rep
3,488
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 DCT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDNY516 View Post
In the process of doing this, I broke the nipple off the old fuel tank breather unit...Thought I could get the piece out with pliers but to no avail. Have to order an entire new pipe.
You could try an easy out
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 08:21 AM   #74
JDNY516
Second Lieutenant
JDNY516's Avatar
United_States
44
Rep
279
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Fairfax, VA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
You could try an easy out
Not sure how, I tried using needlenose pliers to get it out. It's really in there. 100k mile and never been replaced
__________________
2009 M3 Sedan | Interlagos Blue | Silver Novillo | Style 359M | DINAN |
2002 M3 Convertible | Steel Grey | Imola Red | 6MT | SOLD
2006 M3 ZCP | Silver Gray | Black | 6MT | SOLD
2000 M5 | Oxford Green | Caramel Nappa| BMW Individual Black Birch Anthracite Trim | SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 09:05 AM   #75
EJT86
Brigadier General
EJT86's Avatar
2046
Rep
3,488
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 DCT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDNY516 View Post
Not sure how, I tried using needlenose pliers to get it out. It's really in there. 100k mile and never been replaced
An “easy out” is a reverse threaded bit used for when a screw is stripped. Screw the easy out into the broken plastic and twist it free and pull it out little by little
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 12:05 PM   #76
drrust
Lieutenant
drrust's Avatar
131
Rep
411
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (0)

DIY: Replace Fuel Tank Breather Valve (Fix for bouncing idle at fuel station)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDNY516 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
You could try an easy out
Not sure how, I tried using needlenose pliers to get it out. It's really in there. 100k mile and never been replaced
A couple suggestions on how to get the nipple out. I suspect that if you look up how much the pipe costs you will put significant effort into getting the old one out.


First hopefully the pipe is fully disconnected/ out of the car. If not follow it to the connection on the shock tower. Once out, it will be much easier to work on.

The locking mechanism can be seen. You maybe able to pick them loose as shown here:



At about 9:50 he (not me) pulls out the hose and disconnects the valve. In your case you may want to try and screw a wood screw into the broken plastic to have something to hold/pull on. Also you may have a better view of the the teeth holding the piece in.

If that doesn't work I would try to cut the inside of the tube and try breaking it out with your needle nose pliers. You may need some specialized xacto blades or a very narrow saw blade (scroll or coping saw).

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 12:15 PM   #77
EJT86
Brigadier General
EJT86's Avatar
2046
Rep
3,488
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 DCT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrust View Post
A couple suggestions on how to get the nipple out. I suspect that if you look up how much the pipe costs you will put significant effort into getting the old one out.


First hopefully the pipe is fully disconnected/ out of the car. If not follow it to the connection on the shock tower. Once out, it will be much easier to work on.

The locking mechanism can be seen. You maybe able to pick them loose as shown here:



At about 9:50 he (not me) pulls out the hose and disconnects the valve. In your case you may want to try and screw a wood screw into the broken plastic to have something to hold/pull on. Also you may have a better view of the the teeth holding the piece in.

If that doesn't work I would try to cut the inside of the tube and try breaking it out with your needle nose pliers. You may need some specialized xacto blades or a very narrow saw blade (scroll or coping saw).

Good Luck!
I believe he is talking about the small hose in the front that’s hose clamped onto the breather. The nipple of the breather broke off inside the little hose
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 12:40 PM   #78
drrust
Lieutenant
drrust's Avatar
131
Rep
411
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (0)

My experience was the back connection was the difficult one. Need OP's response.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 02:14 PM   #79
EJT86
Brigadier General
EJT86's Avatar
2046
Rep
3,488
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 DCT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrust View Post
My experience was the back connection was the difficult one. Need OP's response.
Mine too, it was late and dark so I just broke it, but when he said “broke the nipple off...” it sounded like he meant the front since I wouldn’t consider the back a “nipple”
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 06:09 PM   #80
JDNY516
Second Lieutenant
JDNY516's Avatar
United_States
44
Rep
279
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Fairfax, VA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
back connection, nipple broke and is stuck inside the hose. I already bought a new hose.
__________________
2009 M3 Sedan | Interlagos Blue | Silver Novillo | Style 359M | DINAN |
2002 M3 Convertible | Steel Grey | Imola Red | 6MT | SOLD
2006 M3 ZCP | Silver Gray | Black | 6MT | SOLD
2000 M5 | Oxford Green | Caramel Nappa| BMW Individual Black Birch Anthracite Trim | SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 02:57 PM   #81
MyUnicorn
Private First Class
47
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 SSII
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

This diy was awesome. Thank you. I found that using a 6 mm socket on an extension was much easier than using a screwdriver to tighten the clamps for the plenum. Getting the valve off was a pain in the ass.
__________________
2011 E90 Silverstone II / Fox Red/Black ZCP Manufacture Date 10/28/2011
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 08:59 AM   #82
roninCoder
New Member
United_States
5
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: '89 BMW 325is '11 BMW M3
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: nova

iTrader: (0)

FWIW, I struggled with removing the hose from valve. I finally solved the problem by using a angled pick tool, inserting it into the end of the hose then working it around the nipple to loosen the hose.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2019, 03:42 PM   #83
CHE///MIST3
Lieutenant
CHE///MIST3's Avatar
United_States
273
Rep
528
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 6MT Space/Black
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninCoder View Post
FWIW, I struggled with removing the hose from valve. I finally solved the problem by using a angled pick tool, inserting it into the end of the hose then working it around the nipple to loosen the hose.
Lol, every single connector, hose/tube, on this car needs to be taken apart..... and put back together so that when it's time to perform a DIY it takes half the time.

Seriously the MOST sore finger tips in the world the morning after working in the engine bay from a newly acquired BMW.

GM
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST