BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

01-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #23
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

Can anyone say MFEST?!!!! I look forward to the MFEST drive from Denver to Vegas every year! This will be my third year going!
      01-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #24
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Once the weather picks up post March will take a 5 or so days off.

- Calais via Eurotunnel from London
- Couple days at the Ring
- Pop down to Munich to visit BMW
- Grossglockner
- Stelvio (taken my previous car there on a much longer road trip but its not that far away so why not)
- Back to Calais and Eurotunnel to London

Name:  Roadtrip 0512.bmp
Views: 302
Size:  957.4 KB
      01-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #25
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by luis_m3 View Post
I'm thinking Brussels, the Italian Alps, and within Germany I would like to visit Berlin, Bremen, and Hamburg. But nothing has been planned yet.
Luis, here are some of the links I've promised:

Miniature Wonderland *** old corporate video *** largest model railway / railroad in Hamburg, Germany (if not the world) > there is a small commercial at the beginning of the video <

Great site & source for Tourist Information for Germany

http://www.germany.travel/en/index.html

German Car Museum Route

http://www.germany.travel/en/leisure...eum-route.html

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #26
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

planning on driving out for M driving school in march or April.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #27
jahn_baakus
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
in the spring my wife and i are planning to drive from SF Bay Area up the coast on 101 to Aberdeen, then up to Whistler BC to visit my family.

not sure if we'll drive the direct route back on 5 or take some other roads, should be fun though!!

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #28
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Rolf, be careful with speed limits in Indiana and of course Virginia..these two states are notorious for hawkish cops looking to hand out tickets. Radar detectors are illegal in Virginia.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #29
Gkap
BMF Movement
Canada
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

I have a few spots in mind
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #30
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
planning on driving out for M driving school in march or April.
That will be fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahn_baakus View Post
in the spring my wife and i are planning to drive from SF Bay Area up the coast on 101 to Aberdeen, then up to Whistler BC to visit my family.

not sure if we'll drive the direct route back on 5 or take some other roads, should be fun though!!
I know it will be fun ... it was for us last year love that coastal highway 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
Rolf, be careful with speed limits in Indiana and of course Virginia..these two states are notorious for hawkish cops looking to hand out tickets. Radar detectors are illegal in Virginia.
No worries I will be very careful and I do not have a radar detector at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkap View Post
I have a few spots in mind
There you go it will be fun planning them trips, we live in a real nice part of the world ... so much to see so much to do ... so little time to do it in

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #31
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SO

a couple boston-nyc here and there
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #32
M_GmbH
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 2012 e92 ZCP - Space Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Might this be the Blue Mountains? I've heard abut it when I was down under in the 80's Loved traveling in your country, found the people very family orientated. I spend 3 months down under and had the opportunity to travel coast to coast it was nice.
Blue Mountains are about 2 hours drive west of Sydney, the Snowy is about 6 hours South West - through Canberra (all part of the same "Great Dividing Range" though). Blue Mountains are not so good for going for a blast - too much traffic. Snowy Mountains this time of year are deserted.

Australia is a great place for a driving holiday - spectacular scenery and great people as you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #33
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

I am planning to drive my newly purchased E46 M3 track car from Chicago to Houston hopefully this coming Friday.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #34
Quag's M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Rolf, nice trip...that's the way it should be done. Looks like you'll pass the Smokies and the Blue Ridge. I recommend getting a cabin if you pass by those areas. Beautiful scenary and good roads. At that time, most of the people head south leaving you the wide-open road. In TN, have radar detector will travel...enjoy the roads. Nobody really cares as long as the roads are empty. Now, the southern side of Va, they did change the speed limits a little higher, but there is no tolerance if you get my drift. Beautiful trip....enjoy.

Last edited by Quag's M; 01-03-2012 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: sp
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #35
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

sweet Lima, Oh, should visit tank plant there. Then there's Patton tank museum at Ft. Knox, Ky.

Seriously though, you should make 2 modifications. 1. Blue Ridge Parkway in VA. 2. tail of dragon since you'll be in TN/NC boarder area.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #36
K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
sweet Lima, Oh, should visit tank plant there. Then there's Patton tank museum at Ft. Knox, Ky.

Seriously though, you should make 2 modifications. 1. Blue Ridge Parkway in VA. 2. tail of dragon since you'll be in TN/NC boarder area.
will be doing both after my PCD just hoping that the weather permits the drive up to asheville on the blue ridge pkwy..... then on the way back, am planning to reach nashville by taking a detour via the tail of the dragon..........
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #37
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

You have given me an idea. I will pick up my car when I get back down south at the end of March. I had been planning on flying down to Napa to do a little sampling but that might be a nice drive and would get me to the 1200 mile service which I could have done there.... Hmmmmm
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #38
blackbeast535
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6MT Jerez Black

Snow tires are on. It's only right for me take the M3 to Snowshoe Mountain for a family ski trip. Possibly South Carolina for a 1000 mile weekend trip in the summer and of course a beach vacation.

E90 M3 Jerez Black/Bamboo Beige 6MT - BMW CCA
Dinan Rear Exhaust, Secondary Cat Delete, Dinan High Flow Carbon Fiber Intake, IND Painted Reflectors, BMW Edition Grills
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 02:58 AM   #39
JIO
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahn_baakus View Post

I'm in Eugene, OR (60 miles East of Florence, OR which on 101). I have a big house if you need/want a stay in Eugene. I'll show you the back-roads of Oregon. Fellow BMW'ers are always welcome. I just did a 600 mile trip down 101 to the Redwoods in CA. Great fun, but don't plan to speed...cops everywhere on 101. My Valentine 1 picked up every one of them. I came across at least 20 cops shooting cars. None were shooting laser...Oregon is too poor for all that fancy equipment.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 05:42 AM   #40
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

We have six months left in Europe, with the car stored for another 3 or 4 months of that.....

With a little bit of weather luck, I hope to hit the Stelvio Pass and the Gross Glockner High Alpine Road before the car gets shipped.
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #41
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
I'm pretty sure I'll be driving to Chicago again this summer...
You better not blow me off this time!

I'll be going to the badlands and YEllowstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #42
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

if you have kids, since you'll be going through Dayton, OH, you can stop by United States Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB, it's a must!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #43
Schwaben
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

This, as many times as possible...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #44
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSSIIM3 View Post
a couple boston-nyc here and there
Love the fall down in Boston area it is my stamping ground during my business years. Have many friends down Boston are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie335iM View Post
Blue Mountains are about 2 hours drive west of Sydney, the Snowy is about 6 hours South West - through Canberra (all part of the same "Great Dividing Range" though). Blue Mountains are not so good for going for a blast - too much traffic. Snowy Mountains this time of year are deserted.

Australia is a great place for a driving holiday - spectacular scenery and great people as you mentioned.
Indeed a great part of the world to visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I am planning to drive my newly purchased E46 M3 track car from Chicago to Houston hopefully this coming Friday.
I traveled coast to coast in my first M3 it was a 2002 e46 (I still kick myself for selling her, wife made me do it ... ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quag's M View Post
Rolf, nice trip...that's the way it should be done. Looks like you'll pass the Smokies and the Blue Ridge. I recommend getting a cabin if you pass by those areas. Beautiful scenary and good roads. At that time, most of the people head south leaving you the wide-open road. In TN, have radar detector will travel...enjoy the roads. Nobody really cares as long as the roads are empty. Now, the southern side of Va, they did change the speed limits a little higher, but there is no tolerance if you get my drift. Beautiful trip....enjoy.
I was there in the 90s during a seminar (Knoxville TN). As you say the roads are great as are the smokey mountains. I stayed in the smokeys at a place were you did your own fishing for dinner great place I find it again in the smokey mountains near Dolly World. Just loved the cars displaying the collage flags on there way to the Sunday football game. I'm looking forward to the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
You have given me an idea. I will pick up my car when I get back down south at the end of March. I had been planning on flying down to Napa to do a little sampling but that might be a nice drive and would get me to the 1200 mile service which I could have done there.... Hmmmmm
You love the Napa Valley ... we did last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast535 View Post
Snow tires are on. It's only right for me take the M3 to Snowshoe Mountain for a family ski trip. Possibly South Carolina for a 1000 mile weekend trip in the summer and of course a beach vacation.
Nice to have the beach and the mountains in such close proximity makes for great weekend trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIO View Post
I'm in Eugene, OR (60 miles East of Florence, OR which on 101). I have a big house if you need/want a stay in Eugene. I'll show you the back-roads of Oregon. Fellow BMW'ers are always welcome. I just did a 600 mile trip down 101 to the Redwoods in CA. Great fun, but don't plan to speed...cops everywhere on 101. My Valentine 1 picked up every one of them. I came across at least 20 cops shooting cars. None were shooting laser...Oregon is too poor for all that fancy equipment.
Might give you a call next time down your way ... always good to have a coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteome View Post
We have six months left in Europe, with the car stored for another 3 or 4 months of that.....

With a little bit of weather luck, I hope to hit the Stelvio Pass and the Gross Glockner High Alpine Road before the car gets shipped.
All I can say I am jealous ... never done that stretch before it does sound so inviting. It does remind me of several Top Gear shows when Jeramy, Richard and Captain slow took some of those fine roads. Perhaps in 2013 or 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low J. View Post
Road trip in this car? Helllllll nawwwww....with that gas mileage? Anything over 2 hours will be in my Audi getting 32+ mpg
Well you know if one drives within speed limits one can get great millage in the M3. Last year I took a major trip in my 2011 e92 averaged just over 11 litres per 100 km (close to 26 miles per US gallon ~ normal driving in the 3000 to 4000 RPM range about 10% above speed limit here and then a bit faster)

Appreciate 0