BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

01-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Has anyone planned a M3 Road Trip for 2012 ?

Mine will be in the early to mid spring as follows:

Home Base Eastern Canada to ===> Detroit, MI, USA
(visiting the Henry Ford Motor Museum).

Detroit, MI, USA ===> Bowling Green, KY, USA
(visiting the Corvette Factory and Museum).

Bowling Green, KY, USA ===> Spartanburg, SC, USA
(visiting the BMW Delivery & Performance Centre)

Spartanburg, SC, USA ===> Home Base Eastern Canada
(via Buffalo NY and Niagara Falls)

all in all some 1,800 + Miles (2,900 KM)

Should be a fun trip.

What are your plans if any my M3 fellow Members?

Last year we took a trip along route 66 all the way to the coast ... it was great fun. Naturally I plan to take tons of photographs. The photos will be posted in the M3 photo area of course

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 06-12-2012 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Giccy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: like he has much to learn

Sounds fantastic. If the speed limits through those states weren't so painfully low it would even better!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

I'm heading to Cold Lake Alberta from Prince George BC to participate in the Race the Base 2012. http://www.zrauto.ca/events.php

If I weren't on my iPhone, I'd map it out.
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

nice!!!!! have a safe trip....I have a mini road trip planned from spartanburg to oklahoma after my PCD this Feb, not as long as OP's, but about 1200 miles.....should be fun.... am in the process of deciding my itinerary. its not the best season for that part of the country, but what the heck.......it was the only time that I could manage days off from work.......

u have fun and post pics when done.... i'll be doing the same too......
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

I wanted to do DC to Miami in 2011, but no time...maybe in 2012, probably not though, time is a bit short this year.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
Wanna Race?
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT Interlagos Blu

I will come ride for a lil when you pass through Detroit
      01-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccy Gic View Post
Sounds fantastic. If the speed limits through those states weren't so painfully low it would even better!
I'm no longer that keen about speed, 10% above speed limit is just fine for me. Besides, I can always open up on the Autobahn (last visit was in 2009) even in a VW one can go top speed (190 KM ~ some 118 MPH) I shall enjoy some of the US back roads ... always fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell325 View Post
I'm heading to Cold Lake Alberta from Prince George BC to participate in the Race the Base 2012. http://www.zrauto.ca/events.php

If I weren't on my iPhone, I'd map it out.
That sounds like real fun ... last year I drove my 2011 all the way to Slave Lake helping out some friends during the May fire. It was a long trip.

Do take lots of photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-M3 View Post
nice!!!!! have a safe trip....I have a mini road trip planned from spartanburg to oklahoma after my PCD this Feb, not as long as OP's, but about 1200 miles.....should be fun.... am in the process of deciding my itinerary. its not the best season for that part of the country, but what the heck.......it was the only time that I could manage days off from work.......

u have fun and post pics when done.... i'll be doing the same too......
That sounds like great fun as well. I like to stay in B&B's so my M3 has a safe way to sleep as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
I wanted to do DC to Miami in 2011, but no time...maybe in 2012, probably not though, time is a bit short this year.
No worries, you will find the time. I am fortunate now that I am retired and no longer need to respond to business cell phone calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna Race? View Post
I will come ride for a lil when you pass through Detroit
Might have coffee and a photo shoot Racing days are for the track, I get too excited when I see your Highway Patrol, mind you they are nice Folks, then when they ask you "hands on the hood and spread them" that's not for me

In Canada the RCMP asks you to roll the window down then talk to you, that hands on the hood etc is not for me

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 01-02-2012 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: added "Wanna Race?"
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #8
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

I'm thinking Brussels, the Italian Alps, and within Germany I would like to visit Berlin, Bremen, and Hamburg. But nothing has been planned yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #9
JZBDCT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92

I'm driving down to Joshua Tree from SF Bay Area with my gf to see the Milky Way Galaxy. =)
2012 BMW M3 Coupe JZB/Fox Red DCT ZCP. Vorsteiner Double Sided Carbon Fiber CSL Boot Lid. Paint Match Grills, Side markers, Reflectors. Carbon Fiber Splitters. Lux Angel Eyes. Custom Rear Section Exhaust with valves. Next mod: Valentine 1
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
Wanna Race?
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT Interlagos Blu

LMAO. I am in the suburbs... Lots of twisties etc. Hit me
      01-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by luis_m3 View Post
I'm thinking Brussels, the Italian Alps, and within Germany I would like to visit Berlin, Bremen, and Hamburg. But nothing has been planned yet.
In 2009 I did the Factory & Museum tour (quite a stretch it was great fun) München - Hannover - Hamburg - Dresden - Leipzig - Stuttgart then back to München.

Last time I drove that much in Germany was in 2005. I think in 2005 my round trip ended up to be 7,000 + KM. When I go next to Germany I will use the EuroRail Pass and rent at the train stations a car if I need one. Gas prices are just over the top in Europe around $3.00 or near that for a litre of gas, that is over $11.00 per US Gallon. No thanks

Be sure to visit the Miniature Train Museum in Hamburg (largest in the world not to be missed - the control room for all the trains and moving cars etc is like a aircraft control centre), it is in the old harbour storage buildings when I was there in 2009 they added a airport. Also in Hamburg and Berlin there is a large garage (I cannot think of the name right this minute), any way people take there antique cars there and store them it's a great place to see fine cars.

Have fun planning your trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a240reef View Post
I'm driving down to Joshua Tree from SF Bay Area with my gf to see the Milky Way Galaxy. =)
That's just north east of LA very nice area. Try to take the Coastal Highway it's not very fast then you enjoy the twists bends and the scenery of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna Race? View Post
LMAO. I am in the suburbs... Lots of twisties etc. Hit me
Yes love them twists and turns ,,,

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #12
M_GmbH
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 2012 e92 ZCP - Space Grey

Garage List
Heading down to the Snowy Mountains (NSW/VIC boarder in Australia) in a couple of days - No snow this time of year just smooth tarmac...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #13
AM150
3rd wait as she's in storage for the winter
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
Wife and I are planning on doing Rt. 66 as close to its entirety as we can. Not sure if we'll be taking the M3 or renting a convertible of some kind (probably a mustang).
      01-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #14
viperssd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AW X7

Let me know if plan on or end up stopping in Cincinnati
      01-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #15
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

I'm thinking of a few:

1) drive down central coast on 1. Pass by Monterrey, big sur, and on down to Hearst Castle. 2) Maybe a drive to vegas 3) a cruise up from santa cruz and up highway 1, soaking the gorgeous views, maybe stop in half moon bay....and eventual evening life in the city. 4) there is also the wine country 5)drive up to tahoe (no snow )

Last edited by Peahi; 01-02-2012 at 11:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #16
wdd1040
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 M3

I'm taking the auto train up to DC. Picking up my co-driver. Taking a few days heading west hitting up micro-breweries until Indiana for the start of Rally North America. Then, after the rally, back home to CFL.

Should be around 1700+ miles plus the train ride.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 01:11 AM   #17
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
In 2009 I did the Factory & Museum tour (quite a stretch it was great fun) München - Hannover - Hamburg - Dresden - Leipzig - Stuttgart then back to München.

Last time I drove that much in Germany was in 2005. I think in 2005 my round trip ended up to be 7,000 + KM. When I go next to Germany I will use the EuroRail Pass and rent at the train stations a car if I need one. Gas prices are just over the top in Europe around $3.00 or near that for a litre of gas, that is over $11.00 per US Gallon. No thanks

Be sure to visit the Miniature Train Museum in Hamburg (largest in the world not to be missed - the control room for all the trains and moving cars etc is like a aircraft control centre), it is in the old harbour storage buildings when I was there in 2009 they added a airport. Also in Hamburg and Berlin there is a large garage (I cannot think of the name right this minute), any way people take there antique cars there and store them it's a great place to see fine cars.
Yeah, gas prices are insane out here... so it's always a good thing I qualify for reg. price as I am in the military.

Thanks for the info on the Miniature Train Museum, I'll hit it up for sure, sounds like a good place for the family.

I can't believe I forgot about the most important trip this summer; 1-week long at the Nurburgring...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 04:24 AM   #18
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

I'll be heading down to Daytona from NJ at the end of the month to watch the Rolex 24.

I've flown for the past six years and last year the snow was so bad I was delayed by 2 days and missed the Continental race. I figure I can adjust my schedule around the weather if I drive.

Interstate 95 isn't the most interesting road in the world, but it makes for fairly fast progress after you get south of Richmond.
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 07:04 AM   #19
iDRIFT
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Fast!

Great Thread !!! Will post my route as soon as a few destinations get settled
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #20
richardg
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MacanGTS, 991.2GT3, E63wagon

To the OP let me know when you plan your trip to Dearborn (detroit) for the Henry Ford Museum. I run the local TSE ///Michigan club and we would love to meet you out there. We are still organizing for our 2012 meets and drives.

And to answer your question yes I plan on going to Mfest East again this year along with the rest of TSE ///Michigan.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #21
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
I'm pretty sure I'll be driving to Chicago again this summer...
I wonder why ..............Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #22
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie335iM View Post
Heading down to the Snowy Mountains (NSW/VIC boarder in Australia) in a couple of days - No snow this time of year just smooth tarmac...
Might this be the Blue Mountains? I've heard abut it when I was down under in the 80's Loved traveling in your country, found the people very family orientated. I spend 3 months down under and had the opportunity to travel coast to coast it was nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-moss View Post
Wife and I are planning on doing Rt. 66 as close to its entirety as we can. Not sure if we'll be taking the M3 or renting a convertible of some kind (probably a mustang).
We did this last year in a sDrive Z4 35i it was great fun. We mostly travelled along the express way (near route 66), then took exits to see some of the route old sections. It was great fun, a lot of history there. Enjoy your trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperssd View Post
Let me know if plan on or end up stopping in Cincinnati
I will pass there on my way toward Knoxville, TN. been to the smokey mountains before it is nice down that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peahi View Post
I'm thinking of a few:

1) drive down central coast on 1. Pass by Monterrey, big sur, and on down to Hearst Castle. 2) Maybe a drive to vegas 3) a cruise up from santa cruz and up highway 1, soaking the gorgeous views, maybe stop in half moon bay....and eventual evening life in the city. 4) there is also the wine country 5)drive up to tahoe (no snow )
Sounds like a fantastic trip. Last year I did the coastal highway from LA all the way up to Origen then inland near Portland heading back east. It was a fantastic trip. Took the US Highway 1 as much as I could. The Hearst Castle was very busy when we passed there so I plan to see it another time. This was my second trip along the coastal highway, I plan another one perhaps next year in my M3 ... as they say all good things are three ... that part of the world is just so nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdd1040 View Post
I'm taking the auto train up to DC. Picking up my co-driver. Taking a few days heading west hitting up micro-breweries until Indiana for the start of Rally North America. Then, after the rally, back home to CFL.

Should be around 1700+ miles plus the train ride.
Tell me about the auto train if you can how does it work? I take it you can ship the car then pick her up and drive back? Sounds like fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luis_m3 View Post
Yeah, gas prices are insane out here... so it's always a good thing I qualify for reg. price as I am in the military.

Thanks for the info on the Miniature Train Museum, I'll hit it up for sure, sounds like a good place for the family.

I can't believe I forgot about the most important trip this summer; 1-week long at the Nurburgring...
I will find the links and post them for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
I'll be heading down to Daytona from NJ at the end of the month to watch the Rolex 24.

I've flown for the past six years and last year the snow was so bad I was delayed by 2 days and missed the Continental race. I figure I can adjust my schedule around the weather if I drive.

Interstate 95 isn't the most interesting road in the world, but it makes for fairly fast progress after you get south of Richmond.
I saw the program about "Undercover Boss" the Daytona Marketing Director went undercover, it was a very interesting show. Sounds like a fun place for a vacation destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfish View Post
Yeah, it is such a nice!!!
Sorry the link does not open ... perhaps it's my Mac Computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyShades View Post
Great Thread !!! Will post my route as soon as a few destinations get settled
Thanks, I thought we get everyones vacation ideas going, as they say the journey is more fun then the destination or something along those lines ... then planning a trip is so much fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
I'm pretty sure I'll be driving to Chicago again this summer...
I love Chicago ... as Sinatra song goes "Chicago ... Chicago a hell of a town ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardg View Post
To the OP let me know when you plan your trip to Dearborn (detroit) for the Henry Ford Museum. I run the local TSE ///Michigan club and we would love to meet you out there. We are still organizing for our 2012 meets and drives.

And to answer your question yes I plan on going to Mfest East again this year along with the rest of TSE ///Michigan.
I will let you know, I'll be traveling with my best friend (he is an even greater car nut then me, he has 6 cars including 2 corvette's he tracks his cars I do not). I've been to the Henry Ford Museum, loved his residence ... he has a small power plant attached to the villa (small hydro turbine) My friend likes to see it and it is on our way to Bowling Green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
I wonder why ..............Phil
know something we don't know Ryder?

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 01-03-2012 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: added "rich & Ryder" to the post
Appreciate 0