BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

01-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Smile My Performance Center visit and driving experience

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Just got back from South Carolina where I got a chance to visit the BMW Performance Center and all I can say is WOW. This was my first time visiting the facility. I went with Ryan who has been there a couple times before which was nice because he was able to give me some insight on everything we did.

The staff and facility are top notch, def something that everyone should try to visit at least once. Below are some pics of some of the activities that I participated in.

*My pics and vids are terrible, there from a point and shoot. Also I didn't take to many pics/vids bc I was having such a great time I kept forgetting to pull my camera out and document everything :

Here is my trip in a nutshell and the events I participated in.

Day 1.

Ryan and I flew into South Carolina late Tuesday night. As we pulled up to the Marriot parked right out front was a brand new Red 335i. IT was really dark and the flash on my camera sucked pretty bad but I was able to snap a pic of the car. (Marriott's websitehttp://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ille-marriott/)

My plan was to wake up early when it was light and walk down and grab a couple better pics but the car was gone within the hour. bummer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

We ate at the Marriott's restaurant which was called Giatu Restaurant & Bar . Great place had some really good food.

Day 2: Heading to Performance Center

We loaded up on the shuttle and headed over to the performance center. Being from SoCal the weather in South Carolina was pretty cold to me. I believe it was 38 or 32 in the morning. The Ride over to the center is a short distance, before you know it your there. On the trip to the center you get to see the factory where the X's are made. You can't miss it from the HWY its huge words can't really describe just how large it is. It seems to go for days!

When we pulled up to the performance center the first thing I noticed was the mailbox

When I saw this I knew we were in for something special lol. We proceeded through the parking lot and headed to the back of the facility to the "HIGH SPEED TEST TRACK" As we pulled up we noticed 2 x5M's, 2 x6M's, e90M3 and a e92M3.

I really didn't know what to expect but then I was told we were going to go along with the instructors in the x5M and the x6M and do high speed runs!!! I have never done anything even remotely like this so yes I was a little scared. This was also the first time I was able to get a sense of just how powerful the xM's are and the handling ability they have and wow is all I can say. I was speechless at the power and control those cars had. We got it up to 145 on the straights just insane. Here is a little clip.

We also got to hear the M3 stock exhaust vs perf exhaust on the high speed runs.

The next event was what they call the "RAT RACE" this was where we jump in M3 and race against another car on a small oval track. The catch is that the track was polished concrete with water on it . I was a little nervous on this one due to the fact that I had never really drove on a slippery surface like this. Wasn't worried about the drive but more about how well I would be able to perform. Overall I did very well and never spun out. Ryan did really well and actually almost made it to the finals in our group.

Vid of Ryans Run Mind the curse word at the end from my co pilot (Ryan is a co pilot in the white e90M)

Ryans run White e90M

The vids don't do the cars justice they were moving pretty good clip, if you floored it though the car would spin out.

After the skidpad "Rat Race" was over we headed back up to the center's staging area where they had our next activity lined up. 6 1M's waiting and ready for us to take them out and rip up the time trial course.

Here we got to take the 1M's onto a small track which had a timer. I was pretty proud with my times for never doing anything like this before. My best was a 23.009 which was pretty solid. The top 3 guys times were 22.806, 22.601, and the winner was 22.436 I believe so some pretty fast times. Here is the start of the track.

Next up was something I was really looking forward to. We got to drive the full track at high speeds with lots of turns and cut backs but we were not only driving the M3, x5M and x6M but we also got to drive the CTS-V and the C63 AMG coupe to compare.

I didn't take any pics of this just due to the fact there wasn't an opportunity so your just going to have to take my word for it.

impressions on each of the cars: (Keep in mind I have never Tracked a car before and have only ever driven the M products up to this point so this was a true first impression of the vehicles) I am not going to go to much in to detail bc we have all seen and heard the comparisons

CTSV: The car itself was all blacked out and was brand new, only had maybe 2k miles on it. It was loaded. The car is def a rocket ship when you hit that pedal it screams. The car just didn't feel safe or solid through the turns. The brakes were very soft and the car was sketchy through the turns lots of body roll. I was not impressed at all with the vehicle and was actually glad to get out. Each time someone completed both laps with the car the brakes were smoking.

Pros: The car is really fast on the straights.
Cons: Not very solid, terrible on the turns, brakes were very soft
overall: I would give this car a 6 out of 10

c63 AMG coupe:
This car as well was brand new under 5k miles I believe can't remember. Unfortunatly I did not get to drive this car The first 6 drivers were the only guys who got to drive the car. The Merc started to smoke like crazy from the rear. Later we found out the there was something wrong with the rear diff and the car is out of commission. So nothing to report besides that particular car only made it for 6 laps before it was in the shop.

Keep in mind that the CTSV and the C63AMG were basically brand new. The CTSV we drove was having slight issues with the brakes and the c63AMG had issue with the rear diff. All the M's had well over 30k of "SUPER HARD" track miles on them and they were running perfectly. Also after driving the other cars and driving the M's you really see why the M is such a great car. The brakes the handling the feel of the car, it just is better. Hard to explain but for "ME" it wasn't even close.

At the end of the day the instructors had one more event for us before we headed out and that was doing a couple hot laps in some e60M5's with the traction control off That was insane! These guys can drive! Drifting really is a art and being able to be in the car and experiencing it first hand was awesome. here is a short vid of some of the driving.

hot lap vid -------

THis was just a small part of the track that we could see from where we were standing.

I wish I would have got some video while I was in the car but I was to busy holding on for dear life!

Overall I really can't explain how awesome this place is and how great the M brand and cars are. I am def hooked now and am excited to go back. The performance centers offers a bunch of various driving schools and I def will be back to attend others.

cheers
jimmy

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!

Last edited by GOLFFRR; 01-20-2012 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
piloto
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR

Soooooo jealous.

Did you appreciation for the M cars just quadruple now (not that it wasn't already high)?

And I am happy to see that Ryan got to enjoy himself at the track too. A great reward for all the good work that he's done for so many on this forum that have purchased and leased through him.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Looks like it was a great time!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
GOLFFRR
Rep

Here are a couple of youtube vids I found regarding the performance center that kinda of sum it up as well

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
Soooooo jealous.

Did you appreciation for the M cars just quadruple now (not that it wasn't already high)?

And I am happy to see that Ryan got to enjoy himself at the track too. A great reward for all the good work that he's done for so many on this forum that have purchased and leased through him.
you know you really don't get just how great these cars are in till you get them on the track and also put them up against the other cars. The M is def the benchmark!!

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
bsiciliano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

Awesome. Nice review. Thanks for posting! I'm jealous.
OE Tuning/Gruppe M Intake/ACS Springs/Vorsteiner CF Type I Rear Diffuser/Textured Matte Black Custom Powdercoated OEM 359s/Painted Reflectors/Matte Grille, Hood Vents and Side Markers/Arqray Race Exhaust/MS Pulley
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

Sounds like you got a slightly cooler version of performance center delivery! I've never run on their high speed course. Was that M school or a dealer training class?

Nice catch on their mailbox! I never noticed that before...
      01-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
GOLFFRR
Rep

^^yea it was a dealer training class. Not a delivery however I would love to take delivery of my car there think it would be awesome expierence!

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Sounds like you enjoyed it!! I haven't been to the back high speed track, but the main track is great. The mini carousel to the back side of the track is really fun when you accept that the M3/M5 really can hold the line even while under power. Your review brings back many memories of ///M School.

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
GOLFFRR
Rep

^^I really want to do the M School I think that would be epic! Its on my list of things to do next

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #11
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

God damn I miss that ride in the M5!!!!!! That was one of the best parts of the two day course we took.
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #12
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Very Cool!!!
      01-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #13
dicker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Thanks for making this thread! I went the day after you. The C63 was fixed for us and I had a go in it (much better than the cadillac, my only complaint was the brakes didn't have very much bite)

I ended up running a 22.948 in the 1M, couldn't quite get the power down without the DSC cutting out on me.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #14
dicker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Here's an in car lap for the rat race, I didn't do too much sliding as I wanted to win

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #15
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicker View Post
Thanks for making this thread! I went the day after you. The C63 was fixed for us and I had a go in it (much better than the cadillac, my only complaint was the brakes didn't have very much bite)

I ended up running a 22.948 in the 1M, couldn't quite get the power down without the DSC cutting out on me.
Dang thats fast!! good job Did you get top 3 of your class?

Good to see they got the c63AMG fixed!

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #16
corrado79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

WOW! Very cool. In the processing of ordering my E93 from Ryan and now giving serious consideration to the PCD delivery.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #17
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Thanks for posting! I'd love to do an M school sometime. I love all the involuntary cussing!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #18
GOLFFRR
Rep

^^^haha you should have heard the guys in my car when we did the high speed runs lol I think they were making up curse words!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado79 View Post
WOW! Very cool. In the processing of ordering my E93 from Ryan and now giving serious consideration to the PCD delivery.
Its awesome. When you take delivery of your vehicle you get to participate in a lot of great activities. I want to also take the tour of the factory didn't get to do that this time.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #19
K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
^^^haha you should have heard the guys in my car when we did the high speed runs lol I think they were making up curse words!!
its awesome. When you take delivery of your vehicle you get to participate in a lot of great activities. I want to also take the tour of the factory didn't get to do that this time.
congratss!!!!!!! nice to know that you and ryan got to have some fun!!!!

i was okay till now....but after reading your post, now i cant wait to get the PCD on my car...........and BTW, saw your sig........so u got your car!!!!!!!!!! congratulationssss!!!!!! ummmmm...... pics please!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #20
NFAM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I did the European Delivery. I was then supposed to pick up my car there in PCD but opted for a courtesy delivery to my nearest dealership. I regret it everyday!!!!
      01-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #21
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-M3 View Post
congratss!!!!!!! nice to know that you and ryan got to have some fun!!!!

i was okay till now....but after reading your post, now i cant wait to get the PCD on my car...........and BTW, saw your sig........so u got your car!!!!!!!!!! congratulationssss!!!!!! ummmmm...... pics please!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your going to have a blast!

no haven't got my car yet it just left Panama so still have a week or so but def getting close! don't worry ill def post up a build journal with lots of pics

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #22
K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
Your going to have a blast!

no haven't got my car yet it just left Panama so still have a week or so but def getting close! don't worry ill def post up a build journal with lots of pics
thanks!!!!......i am sure u will enjoy every aspect of the car..... i feel so happy for you.........
Appreciate 0