BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

03-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #89
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeskali View Post
Most Imptly, Would You Want To Go 200 In One Of Those?
How is that the most important thing? You think most people are going to rent a private track or take that to a closed mile race?

Porsche Carrera GT, this thing...they are for pussies.

Real men go 200 in this:

...and in 1936.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #90
acevo8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mitsubishi Evo 8

^^

No doubt that it does require lots of courage to go at high speeds on something with those profile tires. Truly amazing though on the breakthrough at the time, however with 2 motors, a real pain to maintain
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #91
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by acevo8 View Post
^^

No doubt that it does require lots of courage to go at high speeds on something with those profile tires. Truly amazing though on the breakthrough at the time, however with 2 motors, a real pain to maintain
Double true! : )
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #92
Motif
Gruppa krovi-na rukave
Rep
Drives: Something loud and heavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrumcap View Post
The Ford is clearly impressive and a huge bang for the buck. As for refinement though, could it really be used comfortably as a daily driver like the M3?
I just did a 1100 miles drive from S FL to PA...I was more comfortable than i ever was in my '10 Honda Accord.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
I wish these threads wouldn't always go to sh!t with people saying "oh my m3 is so much better and nicer, the mustang doesn't have the soul of my m3 blah blah blah." Yes, everyone here spent more money on their M3 and its a very nice and capable car. Cars don't have souls, they are just cars.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but why can't a forum ever just take things at face value. The OP didn't post this thread to convince us to sell our BMWs and go buy a mustang because it performs better with a lower price. It could be argued that the M3 and Mustang aren't really shopped by the same person. Someone buying a 35k Mustang GT isn't in the market for a 70k car. Maybe people cross-shop the shelby with the M3, but that might be a stretch as well. The M3 is one of the most well balanced cars ever made, you get bench-mark performance when you want it and a sense of luxury and refinement when you want it. You also pay out-the-ass to get all that. The fact of the matter is that many view the M3 as a benchmark. I know I do, its been ingrained in me ever since I fell in love with the e36 and e46 right when it came out when I was like 12.

Most mustang owners could not care any less about nappa leather or carbon fiber roofs or all the other awesome stuff M owners love. They just want to own the fastest car on the block. Saying that they aren't good handling cars is not a valid argument either. The fact that they can make this car handle so well with a soild rear axle is unheard of.
+1...All of our traction issues are solved by swapping out both of the control arms and panhard bar. Changing anything else is just a bonus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck24bmw View Post
I haven't posted in a while but this thread cracks me up

I currently have a modded 2011 GT500 with all the options and my dad has a E90 M3, I can say this; for everyday use, if I could have one car the M3 would be it, no question about it, it is the best all around car out there for the money. You can tell where the money goes when you sit in it, no question about it, lovely car.

Like others have said most are not daily driving a ZL1 or a GT500 and if your looking for a fun weekend/garage queen, I have ~600rwhp that with my suspension mods, hooks and needless to say is quite fun to drive. I have a daily driver so best solution for my HP addition was this car and it has been great fun.

For some to come in here and just bash all American cars is just sad and is why certain stereotypes exist amongst all different car companies and their drivers, I don't have a bad thing to say about any car, we hear all the time that a GTR is "just" a Nissan or a ZR1 is still just a Chevy. It's quite sad
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post
Mustang, Challenger, Camaro, Corvette, all beautiful machines. I bet the GT500 is to drive... One day, my (now 6 yr old) son and I will be working on his project American muscle car in the garage...
Yes sir...Its a hoot to drive and i registered 23.2mpgs (hand calculated) on the highway with ease.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
I would'nt say that the 100k$ 550hp extra luxuryous 1945kg M5 is in the same class as the 55k$ 650hp extra poor quality 1746kg Shelby as far as HP war , if you would've told me that even a M5 come with 800hp , ok , but don't compare M5 and Shelby ! You need that power in the M5 , in the Shelby , there's at least a 150hp that is there to compensate for the lack of design and quality ! Again , just my opinion !
Poor quality? Do you live under a rock? I welcome you to sit in my '10 Shelby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
Stop talking.
+ Infinity
Quote:
BTW I'm french Canadien
:facepalm:...You are giving people like GSP a bad name.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #93
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Disclaimer: reply coming from a current mustang owner

I'd love to own both, but i wanted a weekend/track car and the boss 302 fits the bill better. If I wanted a daily/track car then I'd without a doubt get the m3. "the best all around sports car period"

But seriously, why defend something so dearly and have so much hate towards a maker. Like someone else posted earlier, those are the people who tend to find their identity and self worth in a brand...if I were to get sick of the boss, I'll just sell it and buy something else. No biggie

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #94
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Wow!

If this is what the 2014 will really look like I think it will definitely steal away some E92 customers...

Plus rumors say it will have independent rear suspension and be lighter.

Also for a first... Will be sold in Europe with right hand drive models.

Kudos to Ford and can't wait tos er tr 2014 GT500 of this model.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/clubhouse/206486-2014-mustang-concept.html

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #95
dizzyj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

Geese people really get butthurt over the fact that ford has mad a faster, more powerfull, cheaper car than the m3. I'm sure those same peons would not be happy knowing that I could not buy one, since my needs require a baby seat and the 4 doors needed to make it practical. As such I'll keep my m3 family car cya on the race track
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 11:52 PM   #96
mrkbbd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2008 Mercedes E63AMG  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
I personally can't wait to drive this thing -- the guys who are commenting it's just a Ford, well yeah, there's a reason it is 60k and not 160k, this is potentially a "budget" supercar that virtually anyone on this forum can afford, I think that is an amazing feat.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 07:09 AM   #97
pro-tect mobile
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8

Quote:
Sorry , I just don't like american sports cars , they could come with 1000hp for 50k ,for me they look cheap and cheesy, the Vyper and Corvette are nice performers but the finish of those cars are horrible ! I respect people that like these cars but me , I just can't pass the fact that the car that I would sit in for 15k miles per year would look like a brick of butter with an interior that is a futuristic interpratation of car that was selling 20 years before I was born !
You take a STI , an EVO , a GT-R ,they look cheap compared to luxury cars because they are but they are not cheesy , hope you understand what i meen , excuse my limited vocabulary , I'm french !
LOL, this is great. A Frenchman slamming American cars. You have probably seen maybe one or two American cars in person (if that) and you are going to slam all of them? Sorry but how is that Peugot doing for you over there? By the way I lived over in Europe for two years so I am very familair with French cars... not impressed. But we arent paying 8-10 dollars a gallon (equivalant) for gas either. Yet...

Last edited by pro-tect mobile; 03-20-2012 at 07:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #98
bimmergoat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 E90 Jerez Black

some good points on both sides of the fence. I'm actually thinking of putting a deposit on a GT500. A 911 turbo or ZR1 is not in the budget right now so this may be a nice alternative.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #99
gallian93
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 cs/72 tii

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkbbd View Post
I personally can't wait to drive this thing -- the guys who are commenting it's just a Ford, well yeah, there's a reason it is 60k and not 160k, this is potentially a "budget" supercar that virtually anyone on this forum can afford, I think that is an amazing feat.
+1
I look forward to it also...
as they say, don't knock it till you try it
[/B]2018 BMW M3 CS (SMB) (Daily Driver)1991 E30 w S52 swap(New addition)[/B]1972 BMW 2002tii (ITS ALIVE)2013 X5M (Wife's DD) ,2009 AUDI A4 3.2 (Winter/Aupair) 2010 e90 M3 (Sold 2020),2011 X5 5.0i (Traded 2019),2007 335 IX(sold 2018),2008 Z4 MC (sold 2017 Still sad about it), 2011 X6M (sold 2015)2008 E93 M3 (Traded 2013), 2005 e46 M3(solidified affair)(wrecked 2010), 2002 330Ci (started love affair)(Sold 2009)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #100
Stronghammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
How is that the most important thing? You think most people are going to rent a private track or take that to a closed mile race?

Porsche Carrera GT, this thing...they are for pussies.

Real men go 200 in this:

...and in 1936.
I saw a BBC documentary entitled Grand Prix: The killer years. The guys drive cars that looked a lot like this. The drivers back in the 1960's and early 70's were killed at an alarming rate. Horrible deaths.
Mods: ESS VT1, MS test pipes, 19 BBS CH-R, Eibach pro springs, Painted reflectors, carbon fiber grills, Painted side markers with dark tinted lenses, 30% tint, Arkym rear diffuser, Innotech axle back exhaust, Performance spoiler
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #101
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
Disclaimer: reply coming from a current mustang owner

I'd love to own both, but i wanted a weekend/track car and the boss 302 fits the bill better. If I wanted a daily/track car then I'd without a doubt get the m3. "the best all around sports car period"

But seriously, why defend something so dearly and have so much hate towards a maker. Like someone else posted earlier, those are the people who tend to find their identity and self worth in a brand...if I were to get sick of the boss, I'll just sell it and buy something else. No biggie
Good way to put it... to add, I'd like to say that the Boss 302 is probably the best Mustang currently around, 444 HP/lowest weight/great price. This new Gt500 sounds great but until I hear reviews from owners, i won't be impressed. 600 HP / 650 TQ for a Rwd manual sports car sounds like a traction disaster, this car doesn't sound like it would go anywhere on street tires under 60. The 2011-2012 Gt500 was identical in that regard and compared to vehicles of similar power wasn't particularly quick due to all of that weight. If I were to get a Mustang, the Boss would be the one unless dragging was my only concern.
      03-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #102
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep

It's a simple fix to get the power down (by the way it's 650hp and 600 tq) just check the Mustang forums.

Also by your standards no rear drive car with a lot of power will be able to put the power down so I guess the GT2 sucks at that also....

Basically what I'm saying is stock it does have some problems and yet it still does about a 3.7 60 sprint and 1/4 in the mid 10's.

The GT2 has really wide tires and the weight right above the wheels. I'm sure with wider and better tires and some small mods to rear suspension it will do quite fine but it will be a beast that needs experience.

Wasn't the original 911tt called the widow maker? That's why it's only offered in 4 wheel drive.

I would live to test drive one but I get a feeling they will all be presold. I wonder I you can get one without the cheesy stripe. A matte black or grey with no stripe would be menacing.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #103
CPB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 turbo/E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q4P View Post
I'd like to say that the Boss 302 is probably the best Mustang currently around, 444 HP/lowest weight/great price. dragging

Just noticed a white/black Boss 302 at a nearby dealer. It looks absolutely great! Stickered at $43K....a great value. But go to the dealer's website an you'll see they are asking $53K for it....not a great value.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #104
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-tect mobile View Post
LOL, this is great. A Frenchman slamming American cars. You have probably seen maybe one or two American cars in person (if that) and you are going to slam all of them? Sorry but how is that Peugot doing for you over there? By the way I lived over in Europe for two years so I am very familair with French cars... not impressed. But we arent paying 8-10 dollars a gallon (equivalant) for gas either. Yet...
Look man , I'm not euro I'm french canadian so I really can't comment on Peugot or all the other cars that did'nt impressed you ! But I'v seen american cars all my life , my parents always had american cars and it's only recently that their cars started to look good ! But the sports cars , not , maybe better quality but still cheesy styling exterior wise , it's true the interiors are getting better , I hope so , they change it every year ! Also I've rented a 2011 Mustang convertible when I went to California last year , hated it , it was a v6 auto , what a peice of crap , I did'nt expected much but expected more then that !! Even my girlfriend who usually don't care about cars hated to drive it ! Maybe I'm wrong about the quality , maybe they really use same top notch materiels as the germains or even the italiens but it does'nt change the fact that Mustangs , to my eyes , have always been f***en ugly and cheesy looking , they're right on top of my ugliest sportscars list , second after the Camaro !!

Last edited by Alex07M3; 03-20-2012 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #105
derekp
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 Infiniti G37s  [6.00]
This car is a great bang for the buck as others have already said. Does it make me want to sell my M3 and get one, no. Will it blow the doors off most cars on the road including the M3, you bet!

I am looking forward to drive one at some point its just not my cup of tea. Ford has really stepped their game up and I am glad to see it. Variety and competition is a good thing among car manufactures. People also seem to forget there is always something faster out there then your car..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #106
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post
It's a simple fix to get the power down (by the way it's 650hp and 600 tq) just check the Mustang forums.

Also by your standards no rear drive car with a lot of power will be able to put the power down so I guess the GT2 sucks at that also....

Basically what I'm saying is stock it does have some problems and yet it still does about a 3.7 60 sprint and 1/4 in the mid 10's.

The GT2 has really wide tires and the weight right above the wheels. I'm sure with wider and better tires and some small mods to rear suspension it will do quite fine but it will be a beast that needs experience.

Wasn't the original 911tt called the widow maker? That's why it's only offered in 4 wheel drive.

I would live to test drive one but I get a feeling they will all be presold. I wonder I you can get one without the cheesy stripe. A matte black or grey with no stripe would be menacing.
A GT2 RS is a $250,000 supercar with almost all of its weight (engine) in the rear and a completely different independent suspension. Half of the cost of that car is in weight distribution, balance and suspension setup. That is kind of a dumb comparison if you ask me... and yes the Gt2 RS can do mid 10's but the Gt500 according to tests did an 11.9 on stock tires. Big difference for two cars with a similar HP rating and that already tells me a lot...
      03-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #107
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
A decently equipped M3 in Canada is about 82k. Go all out with all options and you can almost hit 95k.

I'd say 62k for a car with that power is not bad.

The real question is ... Can it do laptimes similar to it's direct competitor the ZL1....
Given that the Boss spanks the LZ1, and the regular GT can keep up with it, I think we can expect to see the GT500 destroy GM. Of course, all of this is contingent on the vehicle's ability to get all that power to the ground... which traditionally has been a weak spot on the Shelby.
      03-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #108
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-tect mobile View Post
The guy is from Canada. Typical American fail. The stereotype that American cars have bad fit and finish isn't going anywhere because it's true. I actually really enjoyed my test drive in the 2011 GT but the interior was hilariously bad with uninspired exterior and sloppy finish. But hey if you can live with driving a Jeep every day, quality is clearly not your main concern.
      03-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #109
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
Quote:
A decently equipped M3 in Canada is about 82k. Go all out with all options and you can almost hit 95k.

I'd say 62k for a car with that power is not bad.

The real question is ... Can it do laptimes similar to it's direct competitor the ZL1....
Given that the Boss spanks the LZ1, and the regular GT can keep up with it, I think we can expect to see the GT500 destroy GM. Of course, all of this is contingent on the vehicle's ability to get all that power to the ground... which traditionally has been a weak spot on the Shelby.
Where have you seen the Boss spank the ZL1??

There are only 2 tracks recorded for the ZL1. The ring at 7:41 and VIR at 2:52 38 which is quicker than the 2012 GtR.

The boss 302 LS is a great car but more of an M3 competitor on the track.

I want to see the Laptimes of the GT500 which I still say will be hard to beat the ZL1 because of the rear suspension. It just can't take bumps well. A very smooth track it will probably do good but the Ring is not that smooth....

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #110
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Where have you seen the Boss spank the ZL1??

There are only 2 tracks recorded for the ZL1. The ring at 7:41 and VIR at 2:52 38 which is quicker than the 2012 GtR.

The boss 302 LS is a great car but more of an M3 competitor on the track.

I want to see the Laptimes of the GT500 which I still say will be hard to beat the ZL1 because of the rear suspension. It just can't take bumps well. A very smooth track it will probably do good but the Ring is not that smooth....
It's pretty impressive that the ZL1 is faster on the ring then the 2012 GT-R , these guys were 2.8 slower then the GT-R on less then 2min laps !

edit: oh , I see I see, it's not faster on the ring , only at VIR .
Appreciate 0