BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

11-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #463
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tw00t View Post
And, you need to relax a bit. Of course it was partly in fun but I wasn't trying to "stir the pot" as you say or be untruthful in any way. Haha! You mean me starting a thread on "please keep me away from a GTR" causes folks on this thread to go dizzy and freak out?

In my head I know I'll get a GTR eventually. Yes I can make my own decisions and have done so all my life - and am fairly successful at making them. Asking for others opinion is helpful when thinking through things. And the thread was doing great for the first few pages of replies. Its only towards the end that this thread went to pieces.
Only trying to discern what your real motivation is; that's all. I think it's prettty safe to say that this forum has more than enough GTR threads and starting yet another one "in jest" just seems odd to me.

Not going "dizzy and freaking out" by any stretch; am quite relaxed as well.. having just gotten back from vacation.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #464
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211 View Post
Only trying to discern what your real motivation is; that's all. I think it's prettty safe to say that this forum has more than enough GTR threads and starting yet another one "in jest" just seems odd to me.

Not going "dizzy and freaking out" by any stretch; am quite relaxed as well.. having just gotten back from vacation.
okay!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #465
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Vivek don't sweat it. This thread has been very entertaining and probably one of the longest running gtr threads other than mikewads who's putting together the alpha 10. I understood your intention as I have the same feelings about certain cars and need to restrain myself once in a while.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #466
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
Vivek don't sweat it. This thread has been very entertaining and probably one of the longest running gtr threads other than mikewads who's putting together the alpha 10. I understood your intention as I have the same feelings about certain cars and need to restrain myself once in a while.
Agreed! ...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #467
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

ive been craving a gt3 for a long time but the money for one is just ridiculous.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #468
mattixxg
MKIV
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10-500 View Post
hey look what I found a gtr with a broken rear diff, super car my ass

Anyone can go and post broken shit on any car.
Its the internet Einstein--youll have to do better than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
is the GTR a supercar? fwck yea.

i think you guys mixup exotic and supercar.

bear with me. price cannot be used to define supercar. would you call a 200k bentley or 1 mil roll a supercar? i don't think so. they are expensive, but don't handle like a supercar.

so this leave the supercar criteria to performance, exclusivity, rarity, terror and respect. GTR performance is mind bogging (faster than pretty much most supercar out there, exclusive, and rare. in fact i think the GTR is more supercar than a 911 turbo or z06 because while the turbo/z06 is a soup up version of the regular 911 and vette that are everywhere, the GTR is an exclusive model on it own and when you see it on the street, you know it is a GTR. there is no mistaking it for another model from Nissan. terror/respect = GTR is godzilla for a reason.

do i think the m3 a supercar? NO. 3 series are everywhere and m3 not even close to GTR performance.
I think i agree with you. Super vs Exotic, stock and it is its own car, no upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #469
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

^^^+1

He must think the 458 blows too.

Quote:
The £212m recall: Ferrari recalls 'cursed' supercar after FIVE 458 Italias burst into flames

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1dQxQYzSB
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...st-flames.html

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #470
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

i would say breaking expensive parts makes it more of a super car. they kind of do that.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 08:52 PM   #471
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:

Doesn't mean anything. Parts break on any car when grossly abused. Likely, far too many hard launches and/or heavily modified.

Last edited by devo; 11-11-2011 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #472
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

bear with me. price cannot be used to define supercar. would you call a 200k bentley or 1 mil roll a supercar? i don't think so. they are expensive, but don't handle like a supercar.

so this leave the supercar criteria to performance, exclusivity, rarity, terror and respect. GTR performance is mind bogging (faster than pretty much most supercar out there, exclusive, and rare. in fact i think the GTR is more supercar than a 911 turbo or z06 because while the turbo/z06 is a soup up version of the regular 911 and vette that are everywhere, the GTR is an exclusive model on it own and when you see it on the street, you know it is a GTR. there is no mistaking it for another model from Nissan. terror/respect = GTR is godzilla for a reason.

do i think the m3 a supercar? NO. 3 series are everywhere and m3 not even close to GTR performance.
Good point on the exotic/supercar comparison. I may have to jump ship and consider the GTR a supercar after all. I know everyone will sleep well now that I have said that.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 11:41 PM   #473
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Hey look what I found....a new troll that has contributed nothing to the forum other than to post hate about a car he clearly knows nothing about.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 01:47 AM   #474
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Good point on the exotic/supercar comparison. I may have to jump ship and consider the GTR a supercar after all. I know everyone will sleep well now that I have said that.
First step in recovery is accepting it. :P
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #475
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
First step in recovery is accepting it. :P
one day at a time, one day at a time..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #476
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Wait? Are you taking it back then? Don't you ruin my weekend!

Also, did you put away the GT3 yet? Or are you up for one more outing?
All tucked in for winter
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #477
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
i would say breaking expensive parts makes it more of a super car. they kind of do that.
Yep - 'cept maybe P-cars, they are so robust.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 12:22 AM   #478
KnowControlE46
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Blue E46 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
u can't park your GTR anywhere
u can't stop people taking pic of you (moving or parked)
u can't stop someone come up to you asking you what car it is at gas pump
u can't go anywhere without think someone will key your car
u can't stop lanuching it.
u can't have MT
steering wheel is much more narrow compare to M3
Even in Comfort mode is more harsh than M3 sport mode
Loud tranny
20" runflat oem tires cost u 2 grands to replace
Nissan dealership treat u like u buying a sentra
Nissan service department don't offer you free pastry/coffee
Nissan service advisor won't treat you like u drive a BMW.
Stock rotor and brake pad cost over 7grand to replace at dealership
20k miles service cost u arm and legs
GTR online community is small.

0-60 2.9sec, priceless
downpipe / midpipe / exhaust / Cobb = $5k = 560whp
These were pretty much my exact thoughts lol
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 05:43 PM   #479
mikewads
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe DCT

Quote:

Good post... I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Doesn't mean anything. Parts break on any car when grossly abused. Likely, far too many hard launches and/or heavily modified.
The guy in the pictures that broke his rear diff. housing has about 400 hard launches on his GT-R and runs in the high 9s. No shame in his rear diff. finally giving out.

2009 BMW M3 ESS Supercharged / Nitrous - 10.87 @ 131 MPH / 60 - 130 MPH in 6.23 secs
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 09:25 AM   #480
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
so this leave the supercar criteria to performance, exclusivity, rarity, terror and respect. .
The only supercar criteria that the GT-R has is performance, there is nothing exclusive about the GT-R, it is NOT rare at all, it can be easily attained by most enthusiasts and even college students, 'terror and respect' - I think the GT-R has a wow factor, terror and respect is not really what happens at the autobahn in top end runs.

If you like to play around with the local ricers, sure 0-60 is cute, maybe a 1/4 mile at a few of seconds is something you can cling on to, but at the autobahn, after 120mph is where the men are seperated from the boys, and I'm not sure the GT-R rains terror in places like the autobahn on other supercars...or super performaning cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #481
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
The only supercar criteria that the GT-R has is performance, there is nothing exclusive about the GT-R, it is NOT rare at all, it can be easily attained by most enthusiasts and even college students, 'terror and respect' - I think the GT-R has a wow factor, terror and respect is not really what happens at the autobahn in top end runs.
At nearly $100K for a new car and $70K for used examples, I don't know how this is affordable to most people and students? If you finance that, you'll end up with a payment that is greater than some people's home mortgages.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #482
Nine
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
At nearly $100K for a new car and $70K for used examples, I don't know how this is affordable to most people and students? If you finance that, you'll end up with a payment that is greater than some people's home mortgages.
70k for used? Try closer to mid 60s if not lower. The exclusivity is not there just by virtue of price range. I would say most of the members on M3post can swing a GT-R, the same is not true of a Turbo S or other cars in the 'exclusive' frame (458 italia etc). The GT-R is within the grasp of the masses, not exclusive that is my point, not rare either. Plenty of GT-Rs available to be purchased, plenty of 'anybodys' owning them.

Very different from the exclusivity of owning a GT2, for example.

Last edited by Nine; 11-17-2011 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #483
mattixxg
MKIV
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
70k for used? Try closer to mid 60s if not lower. The exclusivity is not there just by virtue of price range. I would say most of the members on M3post can swing a GT-R, the same is not true of a Turbo S or other cars in the 'exclusive' frame (458 italia etc). The GT-R is within the grasp of the masses, not exclusive that is my point, not rare either. Plenty of GT-Rs available to be purchased, plenty of 'anybodys' owning them.

Very different from the exclusivity of owning a GT2, for example.
Your posts never cease to crack me up with the subtle jabs at the GTR at every turn.

First off, lets look at the numbers.
The GTR is NOT as common as a 3 series bmw, civic, or even an m3. not by a long shot. theres what 6k sold in the USA since its coming to the US shores?

As far as porsche goes, with the gt2 sure, youre right but the problem with Porsche is that they are almost as common as a civic. With thousands of boxters and the years the general bodystyle has been out, it tends to bore many who look for "exclusivity".
This is why the GTR stands out. Your under no confusion as to what it is in the nissan line. Its distinct and polarizing..

Also lets look at what the average American is making in comparison to even owning said car(s) especially in this economy. I believe the "masses" is a gross overstatement. And 60k for most HIGH mileage 09s. No where near the performance of the 2012s..mind you.

Stop acting like the GTR is as common as a prius dude...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 12:19 PM   #484
Nine
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattixxg View Post
Your posts never cease to crack me up with the subtle jabs at the GTR at every turn.

First off, lets look at the numbers.
The GTR is NOT as common as a 3 series bmw, civic, or even an m3. not by a long shot. theres what 6k sold in the USA since its coming to the US shores?
Stop acting like the GTR is as common as a prius dude...
Odd, it looks like you just took some jabs at Porsche...oh but it's ok I'll be the bad guy on this one...first point, we are not talking about porsche, their marketing and their branding, we talking about components of a supercar, I agreed on performance, but to say that the GT-R is exclusive or that the GT-R is rare is a gross over estimation of the actual situation. I'm going by the information that is readily available on NAGTROC and websites like Cars.com or autotrader.

I'm not trying to engage anyone in an argument, just trying to bring a little reality into the thread. Rare, Exclusive are not the GT-R especially given the buyers market owith GT-Rs right now.

A true rare and exclusive car would not lose any value and be very difficult to come by and very highly sought after, example again the GT2 selling out almost instantly upon release.

Nothing against the GT-R, or your GT-R, amazing vehicle...it really is.
Appreciate 0