BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

12-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
mtrack
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Who tracks a no tech package/ no edc Coupe or sedan?

Hi guys, new to the forum. Lurked for a long time. I will be looking to move to an e90 m3 in summer 2010 when my current e90 328i lease is up. A couple of questions I'm haveing trouble getting an answer to are: 1) How is the steering feel on the non tech package cars vs. the tech package ones. I know the M engineers picked a setting and that it's not adjustable without the tech package. 2) Are you giving up anything on the track not having the edc. How's the non edc suspension compare to the edc one performance wise, not comfort wise? (three questions really). Thanks in advance from an M3post newb!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
JPH
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

I have a non-tech package 6MT E92. I have tracked once and autocrossed 3x in this car. I am sure others will have a more informed opinion but, my understanding is:
-Non-tech package went with a neutral/midrange damping, closest to "comfort" ride. I have read (and seen) reports that experienced drivers often prefer this setting when they have all the options(not too stiff - too much rebound, not too loose-too little rebound). I think Tommy Kendall said this on the SPEED Channel "Test Drive" show. Again, others will know more than me.
-Steering: it does feel light (heavily assisted) relative to many other cars I have driven. But, it is predictable as hell and I don't think you would be disappointed. If you associate heavier steering inputs with being more responsive, it will take some getting used to. But, once you do you will see what I mean about the predictable nature.

Lastly, read some of the strings here on the ecent Road & Track "Sultans of Slide" article. The E92 was chosen as the best drift car, largely based on suspension and steering, certainly not on low-end torque. Drifting ain't my thing but, the handling principles hold true. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrack View Post
Hi guys, new to the forum. Lurked for a long time. I will be looking to move to an e90 m3 in summer 2010 when my current e90 328i lease is up. A couple of questions I'm haveing trouble getting an answer to are: 1) How is the steering feel on the non tech package cars vs. the tech package ones. I know the M engineers picked a setting and that it's not adjustable without the tech package. 2) Are you giving up anything on the track not having the edc. How's the non edc suspension compare to the edc one performance wise, not comfort wise? (three questions really). Thanks in advance from an M3post newb!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 11:20 PM   #3
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
The main downfall I see with getting no tech package is --- sport steering setting, and MDM (if you are an inexperienced driver)

Both should be standard. Or the standard steering weight should not be that light.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 11:37 PM   #4
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

I can't even feel a difference with the sport steering on, and if you're smooth on the track then you should be able to do quite well with DSC Fully enabled without ever setting it off.

TBH the only reason I would even get the tech package again is for the navigation stuff and comfort access.
      12-07-2009, 01:14 AM   #5
max08e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
The main downfall I see with getting no tech package is --- sport steering setting, and MDM (if you are an inexperienced driver)

Both should be standard. Or the standard steering weight should not be that light.
You really like the MDM mode? I have found it bothering to me on the track when it restricts spin and won't allow me to accelerate for a second. Just curious, I personally like having traction turned off.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 01:58 AM   #6
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by max08e90 View Post
You really like the MDM mode? I have found it bothering to me on the track when it restricts spin and won't allow me to accelerate for a second. Just curious, I personally like having traction turned off.
On the track I turn everything off. I'm just saying it's a very nice feature for the street.

The sport steering is a must for me. At speeds under 30, with the normal steering, it feels so light I feel I will over correct.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
MachineDriver
Family Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3

The main problem I see is not having the best HDD-based infotainment system on the market. But if you spend the majority of your time in the car on the track, you might not want EDC, MDM, etc.
      12-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
max08e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
On the track I turn everything off. I'm just saying it's a very nice feature for the street.

The sport steering is a must for me. At speeds under 30, with the normal steering, it feels so light I feel I will over correct.
understood
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #9
Paddy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18' M2, AW

I dunno, it's all relative. I have e90 sedan, no tech package. I've done 2 track days and about 6 autox in the last year. I must say I'm loving the car, the response and the steering feel. But than I've never had enough seat time in a car with tech package to comment if there is a noticable difference. I'm happy with my setup. My biggest issue is "Driver skills" right now, I think I've got a lot more track miles to put down before tech package would make a lot of difference to me.

I will say the M3 steering is much lighter than my e90 330i was but is more precise.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 10:46 PM   #10
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
I can't even feel a difference with the sport steering on, and if you're smooth on the track then you should be able to do quite well with DSC Fully enabled without ever setting it off.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
I dunno, it's all relative. I have e90 sedan, no tech package. I've done 2 track days and about 6 autox in the last year. I must say I'm loving the car, the response and the steering feel. But than I've never had enough seat time in a car with tech package to comment if there is a noticable difference. I'm happy with my setup. My biggest issue is "Driver skills" right now, I think I've got a lot more track miles to put down before tech package would make a lot of difference to me.

I will say the M3 steering is much lighter than my e90 330i was but is more precise.
You've spent more time on the track than 90% of the people here. Anyone who's turning off DSC on a track better be a pretty damn good driver, especially at a place like Willow Springs where an off means running over all kinds or rocks.
The steering feel is MUCH better than in the wife's 335.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 10:34 AM   #11
Paddy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18' M2, AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
+1

You've spent more time on the track than 90% of the people here. Anyone who's turning off DSC on a track better be a pretty damn good driver, especially at a place like Willow Springs where an off means running over all kinds or rocks.
The steering feel is MUCH better than in the wife's 335.
+1

For me..

Autox DSC Off
Track DSC On
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 11:50 AM   #12
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

MDM is definitely a good mode to have. i came from a 328 as well and this is my first high powered car. on the track, with MDM on, the car is very lively yet safe... i love that setting. its great on spirited drives as well. usually lets me slide quite bit before allowing me to get back on the right path. i've only driven the car with traction control completely off a handfull of times and i still dont feel 100% comfortable with not having a safety net.

oh and the first time i turned off traction control, i spun off on the track on the first lap. that was pretty scary.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 03:14 PM   #13
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

I got your PM and replied. As I said I believe the tech package adds no real performance advantage. It's just dead weight.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #14
mtrack
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Thank you all for your comments. Your input has been generous and helpful. King Tut, thanks for getting back to me. I like to keep it simple and light myself. Test drove a sedan a few months back with the leather seats, then a coupe with the cloth/leather ones. I really felt the cloth seats helped to keep you from slipping around.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 06:20 PM   #15
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:

From my understanding, a non tech car setting is right around middle for all settings. So the steering is not at the lightest setting. Same for suspension damping and throttle.
      12-08-2009, 07:27 PM   #16
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I will be ordering a e92 M3 soon. No tech package, DCT, or EDC for me.. I want a raw car without the gizzmos that get in the way of me truly enjoying the car. IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #17
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Prefer Non-Tech E90 M3 Steering to E46 M3

The steering on my E36 328is was really nice (decent effort/not nervous). When I got my E46 M3 in 2002, the steering felt much lighter and less stable on center (at moderate speeds). I noticed the service loaner E46 325's had higher effort less nervous steering than my M3.

For me, my new E90 M3 steering (non tech package) is an improvement in feel vs my E46 M3, as the effort is higher and it's less nervous (better on center feel) in normal driving.
      12-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #18
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
I will be ordering a e92 M3 soon. No tech package, DCT, or EDC for me.. I want a raw car without the gizzmos that get in the way of me truly enjoying the car. IMO.
MDM on the street is pretty key. The normal DSC steps in way to too early to play with the power on the street (merging into traffic for example). You'll find yourself turning it off a lot, which brings with it some safety compromises.

EDC in soft on the street if you are chillin with the family is nice.

At the track you'll likley turn DSC off once you gain the confidence and the other adjustments (save EDC's active assistance) are pointless IMO.

If you are leaning towards more track usage and you don't mind mods, coilovers are in your future anyways....don't waste it on EDC. I am really feeling the pull towards the Moton kit....doh
Appreciate 0