BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

08-24-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
jakeburton
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Educating Yourself About (Fast) Cars

Hey everybody, I'm new here. One of the upshots to Iraq being so calm these days is the chance to spend lots of free time learning about cars, which I only recently developed an interest in (I'm considering the BMW MSP for an E92 6MT after this deployment). The threads in this forum are oftentimes fascinating and highly informative, but the accumulated decades of experience you all have often result in things going over my head (e.g. Dyno's, trap times). Can anyone recommend reading material that is suitable for beginners just getting their feet wet? As an example, trying to read Smith's "Drive to Win" is way past my level; I had no idea physics could be fun, should have paid more attention in school! I did search for a similar thread and didn't find it, let me know if it escaped me.

P.S. Is there any substantive difference between this forum and m3forum, or are they just similar communities of enthusiasts?

Edit: A little further research on my part shows "Going Faster" and "Speed Secrets" come highly recommended.

Last edited by jakeburton; 08-24-2009 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
fpblue
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E90

Those were the two I was going to recommend. Good luck! Thank you for your service!
      08-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

M3post is way better than M3forum. Most questions in the m3forum are answered with M3post links.
      08-24-2009, 08:52 PM   #4
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: IB BB E90 M3

Read car mags too, some of them have nice technical sections, short, but interesting reads.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
fpblue
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E90

Make sure you join BMW CCA. You get great discounts on BMWs and a great magazine in Roundel. Roundel has a lot of info in it.
      08-24-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

There's actually some VERY knowledgable people on M3Forum. Guys who are in the business and race their cars. There are a lot more owners here, but this place is more about the bling as a generalization, thought it's gotten better.

I agree with the magazines. They have a lot of small articles that most people don't read, but are really informative. I like Road and Track, then Car and Driver.

Then just read the posts here and ask questions. Most are willing to help and explain things. There's a lot of good info on the Engine, wheel and Track sections. The forums for E36 and E46's have a lot of track info since those cars are going to the track more and more as they get cheaper and have a lot of track mods readily available.

Stay safe and hope you guys get to come home soon.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 12:28 AM   #7
M3twins
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 Le Mans Blue E92 M3 DCT

It's great that you are doing what you can to inform yourself about driving and owning an M3, something that probably more owners need to do. However, the M3 is a great driver's car and is, in general, very forgiving to someone not yet familiar with its handling and driving characteristics. To get the full ownership experience and the most out of your new ride, get enrolled in BMW's performance or other driving school. You'll really get the feel of the car, its limitations and be more confident in your own driving skills. Until then, best of luck deciding on the specifics of your M3.

And thank you for serving!!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 12:38 AM   #8
10M3MAN
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Nissan Altima SER

Same here Im in Baghdad and Im learning and reading all kinds of stuff...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 08:24 AM   #9
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

To all the soldiers that made/make this country free, I salute all of you.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 08:48 AM   #10
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeram View Post
To all the soldiers that made/make this country free, I salute all of you.

+1
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 09:26 AM   #11
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

"The Physics of NASCAR: How to Make Steel + Gas + Rubber = Speed"
A fascinating, educational and absolutely wonderful read.

The author is a physicist and had an interest much like yours (OP - jakeburton). She started investigating the science involved, which led her to the people involved and she ended up not only participating in the the pits of a few races, but also driving the vehicle.

I ended up giving copies to my two boys. It's a great read.

Thanks for your service.
Check your message box.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 09:07 PM   #12
icemang17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

you bring up some good points...... its VERY easy to spend $$ and buy a "fast" car....being able to safely drive a "fast" car at the limit of the CARS ability is an entirely different matter...& takes serious SKILL to achieve......

Both of the books you mentioned are excellent reads, I really like the Speed Secret series.....but the best advice it to get out there on track.....a dedicated race school is a great starting point, but pricey......I started doing track days in my personal cars a few years ago, ending up with a dedicated track-race car (not the M3)....but am seriously considering attending a 3 day "race" school to improve my skills.....

some other great advice I got from fellow racers is the answer to "I want to learn to be a fast racer"......learn to race in a SLOW CAR....as it teaches you fundamentals faster than having a powerful car to cover your mistakes.....for example one mistake in a spec miata will cost the entire lap....vs an M3 that can use its ample HP to make up for a mistake in the corner..... it all goes back to the old motto "smooth is fast"
1989 Porsche 928S4 track beast!!!
Appreciate 0