BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

12-09-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
kal112
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 coup

GTS parts

i'm wondering if the M3 GTS parts will be available in the dealer ?!
exhaust system, wheels, suspension, brakes.

i really liked the exhaust, it sounds sick.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 07:28 AM   #2
BMWCadet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 MR M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal112 View Post
i'm wondering if the M3 GTS parts will be available in the dealer ?!
exhaust system, wheels, suspension, brakes.

i really liked the exhaust, it sounds sick.
Call the dealership and ask.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I think it will be HIGHLY unlikely. Three reasons. The parts would have to be priced so high so that the price difference between the regular model and the GTS would roughly equal the price of the different parts. That would make them outrageously priced, just like the car itself. Secondly BMW will be concerned about exclusivity. You can have any old "schmuck" (like you or I ) have a car that looks like the holy GTS. That could destroy the ego of a GTS owner (on another continent...). Lastly BMW already showed this behavior in regards to past special M3 models such as the CSL.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I think it will be HIGHLY unlikely. Three reasons. The parts would have to be priced so high so that the price difference between the regular model and the GTS would roughly equal the price of the different parts. That would make them outrageously priced, just like the car itself. Secondly BMW will be concerned about exclusivity. You can have any old "schmuck" (like you or I ) have a car that looks like the holy GTS. That could destroy the ego of a GTS owner (on another continent...). Lastly BMW already showed this behavior in regards to past special M3 models such as the CSL.
+1

We may see aftermarket copies though. The quality, closeness of replication (e.g. appearance, sound, performance for an exhaust), price, etc. will remain to be seen. I just can't see vendors not trying to tap into what is pretty sure to be some level of demand. Of course, that will bring up the same questions as in rldzhao's "public service" thread....
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
+1.

To demand upward on twice the price I can't see BMW offering the parts official but it's very likely that cheaper and inferior similar parts will make it to production.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
anthony @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: R56 Cooper S

VMR is soon releasing a new wheel (V718) that looks very similar to the GTS wheel.

V718

GTS Wheel
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
MN M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

I agree that it is highly unlikely that BMW will release GTS parts in the states, but for a different reason - they haven't spent the money to get them certified by US DOT for use here. I doubt they want to spend the millions of dollars it will cost to get the car certified for US sales - just not worth it given how few of these things they are going to sell. Since the parts won't be US-legal, BMW isn't going to sell them here - like the Performance Seats. Hence, the aftermarket, which has its own set of issues.
2009 E92 M3 - Jerez Black/Black w/ black carbon leather interior, 6 spd., Cold, Premium, Technology, 19" OZ Racing wheels (black), iPod/USB. Mods: aPe air filter, Borla exhaust, H&R sport springs, UUC Evo3 SS w/ DSSR, Power Pulley Kit, carbon kidney grills, Vorsteiner front air dam, carbon side gills, smoked side markers
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

I don't know if I agree. There is a lot of margin in the parts. It doesn't cost $4K to manufacture an exhaust There is enough of a business to keep several vendors, more than ever before, fairly happy.

Many folks would mod if they could keep their warranty hassle free. I know I would certainly entertain coilovers and brakes if they were BMW parts based on the nightmare I had with my E46 and BMW of Austin.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #9
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

I'm sure they'll be obtainable, though expensive. Just like OEM CSL parts.

/thread
      12-10-2009, 06:29 AM   #10
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

The wheels may be available, there are rumors of a competition package. See the thread by "Mark's M" in the pricing/ordering forum.
Appreciate 0