BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Private Sellers - For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Cars for sale/wanted/trade

Mporium BMW

07-09-2017, 01:25 PM   #1
RoyRoberson
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 6MT - time to replace

WTB E92M3 6MT need your expert advice

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Or Best Offer

Item Interest
Please provide some experienced member advice or comments on good equipment, options, and pricing. Sorry for the long post, but I have a lot to think about and I recognize when I am outside my own experience. Any suggestions and even specifc car recommendations are appreciated.

Following are my preferences from my research and test drives but I have no experience with the E92 and am still learning:

Previous Car Comparison:
I am looking for an E92 M3 to replace my daily driver E46 M3 that failed after 150k miles.

Every plastic component on the E46 became brittle and started to fail by about 100k miles: windshield cowl, door trim, kidney grills, soft-touch interior trim (like the ash tray), coolant expansion tank, even the water pump impeller. I had my local dealer replace all of these plus maintenance items that failed like VANOS, sub-frame, clutch, brakes, main seals, alternator.... Should I expect similar planned failures from the E92 components?

Model:
I prefer the E92 because smaller is better, I do not need 4 doors, the E93 is 400b heavier and my bald head does not need more sun. The light weight carbon roof sounds like a good idea, but to me it is the weight savings, not the carbon look that I find attractive. A sunroof would be OK.

Exterior Color:
Black is beautiful, but only stays clean for a few days. So I am looking for a color other than black or red. The frozen colors look amazing, but aren't they difficult to maintain and easily damaged by waxing or polishing? This drives me toward Alpine White, Space Grey, Silver or something similar. Do you have any other color suggestions I should consider? Note: I do not want a lot of attention, so wraps, crazy colors, wings and "boy racer" components are out unless subtle and tastefully done.

Carbon fiber lips and splitters could be a nuisance if too low and easily damaged. I could go for some of these, but would not pay a premium to get them.

Modifications:
I see lots of mods listed on some cars and generally I feel that they were added to cars that were driven hard, raced, or even damaged and replaced. Should I avoid all or some of these?

Interior:
For the interior I prefer black full leather, perhaps with the grey center stripe. The speed cloth, grey or red leather are less desirable to me.

For the trim, I like the carbon leather or brushed aluminum trim or carbon fiber. I saw a car with a stainless steel mesh that looked great but I do not know if it was available on the E92. I also saw some M3s with wood trim. Are there other options that I have overlooked?

Options:
The list of options is extensive and added a lot of cost to new cars and do not change the resale value a lot. Are there any I should look for or avoid? I get confused by the suspension and competition options. Should I look for a car with the most options?

Transmission:
The 6 speed manual has the driver engagement experience I prefer and the DCT is not for me.

Engine:
All the modern turbo engines do not feel right to me. I want an improvement over the E46 so the E92 V8 seems to be best. Also, I am wary of after market turbo charging or compressors. However some items like the cold air intake and sport exhaust are a appealing if not too loud and if smog check compliant. For a daily driver, I think I should stay away from reprograming and racing add-ons. What do you think?

Year and Mileage:
I am thinking newer is better so a 2013 would be great. However, is there really any big advantage over a 2010? Low mileage too is a preference. However, it would seem that even a very low mileage car would still have the "time based component failures". Is this true?

Maintenance:
I have see posts describing preventive replacement of bearing (one guy said at every oil change) and oil analysis. Also replacement of certain modules that frequently fail. Would it be best to find a car with these items done, or discount the price of ones that do not? What major maintenance items should I be prepared for and at what mileage?

PPI:
When I see and drive a car in person, I always find paint overspray, and minor damage or repairs that were not disclosed by the seller (even on CPO cars). Some of these do not show up in photos but can easily be seen or felt in person. How can I avoid buying a car that has a non factory repair that will look bad in a few years? Should I only buy a local car that I can evaluate my self? Who could I trust to do a PPI on a car that is not local? Should I budget for a PPI and an airplane flight to see a car before completing the sale?

Warranty:
I would be very comfortable with a car that has a factory backed extended warranty and full maintenance program. I think these were available for all cars for which the factory warranty had not expired so it is possible that a car could have both for 6 years and 100k miles: through as late as 2019. I see cars with other types of warranties but I am not as confident that these are as comprehensive and they cost a lot. What would you advise?

Thank you

I look forward to joining the ranks of E92 owners.

Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      07-09-2017, 10:00 PM   #2
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 08:46 PM   #3
RoyRoberson
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 6MT - time to replace

Thank you for the suggestion.
I drove a DCT and 6MT back to back. The 6MT was just right. I have been driving manuals for my entire life so anything automated makes me feel left out, infringed upon and like my skills are fading away.

I have been driving a GT lately and now I forget or have become too spoiled to close normal car doors and take a key out of my pocket.
Appreciate 0