BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

06-02-2016, 05:24 PM   #1
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5 CS

Bad alternator?

Car: 2013 M3 with 7000 miles. Driven pretty much every weekday. Was not driven over the long memorial day weekend.

Problem: car won't start. I hear the ignition but car will not start. This symptom started a few months ago, but happened only intermittently - more so after 2-3 days of non-use. Typically, when it happened, after a few tries the car would start without any issues. I do not get any ABS lights or electronic malfunction ever.

I always thought it was a poor battery (especially since this never happened if I drove the car the day prior). Therefore I got me one of those 15 dollar Harbor freight jump starters - this one had an alternator check ability on it.

I tried to jump start the car, and nothing happens - the donor battery was a fully charged SUV battery. I then perform an alternator check by hooking the opposite end of the starters to dry wood (the opposite end was still attached to the M3's front charging posts). The alternator light stays off. As a control I do the same with the SUV's battery and the alternator light comes on, meaning it is working properly.

Question: does this diagnose the problem as a bad alternator?
- The car is under factory warranty, and is sitting in my garage. Does BMW pay for the tow truck to the dealership? Any options for bypassing the alternative and starting the car?

I am a complete mechanical, electrical and technical noob, so any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 05:32 PM   #2
CIFUM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Well I'll tell you this... My alternator went out last month... Managed to make it to the dealer just to be told it was gonna be 2k to fix it! No joke $1,996.00... Had it towed home the next day and did it myself for 150 bucks
Edit... I called and asked why so much and they told me it's because they charge a "core charge" because they get sent out to get rebuilt, hung up the phone called a local shop with expertise in alternators they rebuilt it, cleaned and added high temp paint for $150.00
M colors grill - CF trunk - Sapphire Blue Forgestars F14
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 05:43 PM   #3
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 AW

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIFUM3 View Post
Well I'll tell you this... My alternator went out last month... Managed to make it to the dealer just to be told it was gonna be 2k to fix it! No joke $1,996.00... Had it towed home the next day and did it myself for 150 bucks
Edit... I called and asked why so much and they told me it's because they charge a "core charge" because they get sent out to get rebuilt, hung up the phone called a local shop with expertise in alternators they rebuilt it, cleaned and added high temp paint for $150.00
Here you go! Get a Indy shop to replace!👍🏻https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/12317837981/

OP, yours should still be under warranty!
      06-02-2016, 05:44 PM   #4
CIFUM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKLYZ
Quote:
Here you go! Get a Indy shop to replace!👍🏻https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/12317837981/

I did it myself, it was a paint because of my supercharger but saved my self quite a bit of money.
M colors grill - CF trunk - Sapphire Blue Forgestars F14
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 05:52 PM   #5
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good to know. I don't think there are any trustworthy Indy shops in my neck of the woods. Plus my car is under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKLYZ View Post

What about towing? I understand BMW roadside assistance is free for the first 4 years, so towing should be included. Has anyone had any experience? Should I call their number and find out?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 06:27 PM   #6
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update: called BMW roadside assistance. They've scheduled a tow tomorrow when dealership is open from my garage, all complimentary. Will update once I am told the diagnosis. Also, will get my hood re-aligned. Been driving me crazy. Thanks guys!
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2016, 10:11 PM   #7
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

wow..thats too early for alternator to die
Appreciate 0