BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-14-2017, 01:14 PM   #23
KPop
KPop
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Horse and Buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmye92 View Post
Congrats and welcome back!!
Thanks! Looks like you also picked up a sweet E92 M3 as well. Seems like there are quite a few F80 M3 owners who are actively looking to switch back to the E9X platform, and for good reason (less expensive, better sound, more "raw" etc.).
Appreciate 1
Foggins1331.50
      11-14-2017, 01:41 PM   #24
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPop View Post
Thanks! Looks like you also picked up a sweet E92 M3 as well. Seems like there are quite a few F80 M3 owners who are actively looking to switch back to the E9X platform, and for good reason (less expensive, better sound, more "raw" etc.).
Exactly...and as long as the car is fairly reliable the decision is a slam dunk

Love your no nonsense youtube videos, keep it up!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 02:38 PM   #25
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 6mt AW m2

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah, I found the STi to be loaded with "character" but I had the itch to get back into an ///M car. I do miss that mid-range torque, though, but now have a great excuse to rev out the S65 V8 And while the boxer-4 and turbo "whoosh" sounds were very nice thanks to a Cobb aftermarket intake/exhaust, there's nothing that comes close to the drama you get from 8 ITBs singing a WOT tune at 8400 RPM.
I LOVE revving it out and the tactile feedback you get from the shifter. Seriously though, you need a UCP. It shortens the clutch throw distance and tightens up the " gooey" feel. The zcp knob helps with shifter throw distance, without going to a short shift kit. These 2 mods change the way the car feels and drives.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 03:50 PM   #26
KPop
KPop
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmast1 View Post
I LOVE revving it out and the tactile feedback you get from the shifter. Seriously though, you need a UCP. It shortens the clutch throw distance and tightens up the " gooey" feel. The zcp knob helps with shifter throw distance, without going to a short shift kit. These 2 mods change the way the car feels and drives.
I'll have to take a look at my shifter, but I know it's shorter than stock. Doesn't the ZCP shift knob have perforated leather?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 05:22 PM   #27
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 6mt AW m2

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I'll have to take a look at my shifter, but I know it's shorter than stock. Doesn't the ZCP shift knob have perforated leather?
Oh ok, if you don't have the awkward one piece "goose neck" shifter, maybe someone already switched it out for the zcp knob or a short shift kit? That is good news, now all you need is the UCP.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #28
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

congrats on the E90,
been enjoying ur reviews on youtube, had a feelin you were gonna end up with a E9X at some point lol

if your knob separates from the leather boot at the neck, you have ZCP shift knob. If it doesn't separate and is in 1 piece, you have the F10 M5 shift knob.
They are exactly the same knob, shorter + weighted, I did the F10 M5 shift knob because it's a one piece with the leather boot.

I quite like the "shift knob change mod" only without UCP kit, good shift feel and BMWs (at least ours) don't wobble/vibrate like the ones in Subaru...
      11-14-2017, 09:52 PM   #29
KPop
KPop
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
congrats on the E90,
been enjoying ur reviews on youtube, had a feelin you were gonna end up with a E9X at some point lol

if your knob separates from the leather boot at the neck, you have ZCP shift knob. If it doesn't separate and is in 1 piece, you have the F10 M5 shift knob.
They are exactly the same knob, shorter + weighted, I did the F10 M5 shift knob because it's a one piece with the leather boot.

I quite like the "shift knob change mod" only without UCP kit, good shift feel and BMWs (at least ours) don't wobble/vibrate like the ones in Subaru...
Thanks! Looking forward to doing a lot more interesting video with this car, starting with a proper mountain drive this weekend

I just checked and it looks like I've got the ZCP shift knob. Didn't realize it was weighted. I would prefer if the shift-action was about 25% shorter as I do miss the shift-feel from the STi and S2K, but now I'm just nitpicking.
Appreciate 0