BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-23-2016, 09:34 PM   #45
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Update :
So..As I promised here an update from OP's aussiem3 picture about the Belgian with his S65 blown engine (with the Belgian plates , see pic)
Many thanks to aussiem3 , who helped me out with the registration on ///MFlight Europe , and of course also our European ///MFlight Admin Kevin Timmons .
Only by my registration I was able to contact the Belgian Sonny Heyman , and today I had a chat of 30min. with him (he is not Bimmerpost member)
It actually looks pretty bad , and he sended today to me 2 extra pics from his S65 , and with some pieces of his S65 motor block .
It's actually a black hole !

---------------------------------------------------------------
Here is what he said ...

This doesn't looks that good!
When I was driven 200 km/h suddenly the engine stopped and the error message "motor failure" comes on, I looked in the back mirror and the only thing I saw was white smoke. I stopped immediately and pulled over, in a few seconds all the oil was under my car.
---------------------------------------------------------------
After what he said back to me....
So I gave him advice to bring his car over to Germany to people with a lot of experience for our S65 engines , because most BMW/Dealers really suck .
Here , and they are engine builders as well=> http://www.der-bmw-spezialist.de/m-k...mw-m3-e90-s65/

I actually saw 3 cases with BF today , 2 on the European ///MFlight site (non Bimmerpost members)
And 1 on here with bearing failure , and new member => http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265416
Later I will try to add the 3 on our blown S65 engine thread .

The pics from the Belgian ...
Thanks for the effort. Maybe you'll find more blown motors on MFlight.
Please post in the registry once you them all organized.
Thanks again.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #46
krx927
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAp3x View Post
Yup, then at least you don't have to worry about it... My warranty on my new engine runs out next summer, and I will be doing my bearings as soon as it ends...
I am planning to do the same!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 01:35 PM   #47
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Yes , it was some work in the last week to find the necessary contacts to reach him on ///MFlight Europe(registration was required) and my problem was time , but finally succes and new friends .
Thank you as well for the appreciation
Did you let your new friend know that this is clearly caused by ethanol in the fuel?

Nice detective work getting in touch with him. Hopefully he can get his engine sorted and the true cause of the problem will be found.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2016, 04:08 PM   #48
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Thanks for the effort. Maybe you'll find more blown motors on MFlight.
Please post in the registry once you them all organized.
Thanks again.
Done...=>update #1400 http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1259012
I really appreciate your kind words ,I thank "you" my friend

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2016, 11:56 PM   #49
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I would like to hear from someone who had bearing failure first hand..........Do you redline your car frequently? Do you think you should redline your car frequently and expect no issues? The reason I ask is since I picked up my E92 M3 18 months ago I have put around 65,000 miles on her. I drive a lot! She has 89,000 now. It'll have over 120 by Christmas. I did my Rod bearings because of that tick everyone has and it started to get ridiculously louder and louder. I've posted before and after videos from my experience here on this site. When I did my bearings at around or before 30,000 the wear pattern was a little deeper than I expected on them admittedly but I don't know how the 1st owner drove. In any case I think if a car cannot go past 100,000 miles without major failure it's 1 of 2 reasons.
1-The car was manufactured poorly.
2-You beat the shit out of your car and are unrealistic with your expectations.
I've had MANY cars and trucks make it past 600,000 miles with no issues. To hear everyone worried about rod bearings to this extreme makes me wonder what y'all are doing to your M3's and how you treat them. I really don't think the S65 is the fragile motor of glass y'all make it out to be. Words don't mean shit here.....someone needs to post data from the ODB on a failed car and provide at least a few months of driving history. Betcha you'll find "money shifts" and "lingering redline action" on these cars history. Track grenades don't count either. There is a reason a proper race vehicle is commonly out of most people reach financially. And for that matter a race vehicle is serviced on a much more aggressive and frequent schedule. I really don't believe a car just grenades shifting from 1st to 2nd at 3,000 rpm under normal driving. No way!
      05-27-2016, 09:20 AM   #50
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
I would like to hear from someone who had bearing failure first hand..........Do you redline your car frequently? Do you think you should redline your car frequently and expect no issues? The reason I ask is since I picked up my E92 M3 18 months ago I have put around 65,000 miles on her. I drive a lot! She has 89,000 now. It'll have over 120 by Christmas. I did my Rod bearings because of that tick everyone has and it started to get ridiculously louder and louder. I've posted before and after videos from my experience here on this site. When I did my bearings at around or before 30,000 the wear pattern was a little deeper than I expected on them admittedly but I don't know how the 1st owner drove. In any case I think if a car cannot go past 100,000 miles without major failure it's 1 of 2 reasons.
I've had MANY cars and trucks make it past 600,000 miles with no issues. To hear everyone worried about rod bearings to this extreme makes me wonder what y'all are doing to your M3's and how you treat them. I really don't think the S65 is the fragile motor of glass y'all make it out to be. Words don't mean shit here.....someone needs to post data from the ODB on a failed car and provide at least a few months of driving history. Betcha you'll find "money shifts" and "lingering redline action" on these cars history. Track grenades don't count either. There is a reason a proper race vehicle is commonly out of most people reach financially. And for that matter a race vehicle is serviced on a much more aggressive and frequent schedule. I really don't believe a car just grenades shifting from 1st to 2nd at 3,000 rpm under normal driving. No way!
Many of these failures are on Dct cars. Hard to have a money shift or rev past redline on an automatic transmission car. And by hard I mean impossible.

I don't know the answer but I don't think the ones discussed above are it
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 07:19 PM   #51
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
Many of these failures are on Dct cars. Hard to have a money shift or rev past redline on an automatic transmission car. And by hard I mean impossible.

I don't know the answer but I don't think the ones discussed above are it
They've got to be shitting on their cars then. And yes you can linger way to long near redline in a DCT. If you think because it's an auto you are safe you are wrong. You certainly can drop too many gears on the freeway and fuck your shit up. It's claimed the trans will not let you do dumb shit but that threshold is still abusive on the motor. Maybe not the first or 20th or 100th time but if your driving habits are shit.....well what would a realistic person expect. M means fairly race ready, not bullet proof. If people think an AMG or SS or whatever sports car they purchase can handle constant pedal mash daily let me assure you that is incorrect.