BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

07-20-2016, 08:22 PM   #1
atruelunatic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: n/a

100k Coming Up... Suspension Items to Replace?

I'm coming up to 100k miles and plan on keeping this car for a long while. I have a big list of other items to replace at the 100k mark, but I haven't considered suspension items. The only suspension items that's been changed are switching to KW V3 and camber plates. What items should I replace soon? Should I just repair various bushings or what?
      07-20-2016, 08:38 PM   #2
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by atruelunatic
I'm coming up to 100k miles and plan on keeping this car for a long while. I have a big list of other items to replace at the 100k mark, but I haven't considered suspension items. The only suspension items that's been changed are switching to KW V3 and camber plates. What items should I replace soon? Should I just repair various bushings or what?
I have a thread on this
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 08:27 PM   #3
atruelunatic
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
I have a thread on this
Thanks for letting me know. I read through your threads and saw that you only did front and rear control arms. Is this where the chunk of handling comes from? I don't get shakes at high speeds or from high speeds to full stop after I got my alignment/corner balance. If only control arms are needed, that's great. Just want to see if I need to swap bushings for all links or if I'm good with the original parts.
      07-23-2016, 09:29 PM   #4
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

At the risk of being labeled Captain Obvious, why not just do a visual inspection? Get the car up on jack stands (or a lift, if you can) and start looking at the various suspension pieces for excessive free play, leaks, cracks, and so on. If you just got an alignment and they didn't flag anything or have issues getting it aligned, that's a really good sign.

I'm not really a fan of replacing stuff "just because". You'd feel pretty stupid if you bought a whole bunch of parts and it turned out that 90% of them were totally fine.
      07-24-2016, 12:25 PM   #5
atruelunatic
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
At the risk of being labeled Captain Obvious, why not just do a visual inspection? Get the car up on jack stands (or a lift, if you can) and start looking at the various suspension pieces for excessive free play, leaks, cracks, and so on. If you just got an alignment and they didn't flag anything or have issues getting it aligned, that's a really good sign.

I'm not really a fan of replacing stuff "just because". You'd feel pretty stupid if you bought a whole bunch of parts and it turned out that 90% of them were totally fine.
No no, I really appreciate the feedback. That's a good look at it which I haven't really considered. I got it balanced at a well respected alignment place and they didn't mention anything. Maybe when I get some other items changed I'll have them verify everything is in good shape.
      07-24-2016, 02:17 PM   #6
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by atruelunatic View Post
No no, I really appreciate the feedback. That's a good look at it which I haven't really considered. I got it balanced at a well respected alignment place and they didn't mention anything. Maybe when I get some other items changed I'll have them verify everything is in good shape.

You could always pay for one of the major/minor services (I think they used to call it service 1 and service 2) at the dealership. They do a thorough inspection of all of those things.