BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

12-11-2007, 09:56 PM   #1
Dazzler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez 2007, 1M on order

E92 M3 Owners - do you have these issues with your car?

Hi,

Ok been a few weeks in the new M3 now and overall it is LOVE.

But two things are REALLY bugging me.

1. Very high pitched whine changing in intensity with engine revs. Sounds like when you have a crap car audio installation and you can here the engine interfere with the audio (like a zzzzzz zzzzzz). I have put my head close to the tweeters and as far as I can tell it is not coming through the audio system so must be from the engine bay.

Anyone else have this very feint, engine rev related high pitched whine?

2. The ventilation system is LOUD way too loud when the air-conditioning fan is on any speed above about the lowest two settings. I like leaving it on AUTO at about 20 degrees C and set there the fan is constantly bugging me with a whooshing noise.

Anyone else with noisy ventilation?

Oh and one more question - does anyone know why sometimes (1 in 5 or so) when you open the drivers door the window winds halfway down??

Cheers,
D
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 11:16 PM   #2
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
Hi,

1. Very high pitched whine changing in intensity with engine revs. Sounds like when you have a crap car audio installation and you can here the engine interfere with the audio (like a zzzzzz zzzzzz). I have put my head close to the tweeters and as far as I can tell it is not coming through the audio system so must be from the engine bay.

This sounds like the induction intake and the air being sucked into the engine via the 'one' bonnet louvre which isn't actually a dummy. It's perfectly normal.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 01:23 AM   #3
Champagne
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupé

Quote:
Oh and one more question - does anyone know why sometimes (1 in 5 or so) when you open the drivers door the window winds halfway down??
Because of it being a coupé the doors are longer, which in a tight parking space could be a problem getting in and out of your car. Try this:

when you get back to your car, pres the unload button repeatedly 3 (times I believe, I just press it like I'm mad because of that idiot parking too close :P ) and then in the next 2 seconds you have to open the door. What will happen then is exactly what you describe, the window will go down halfway, allowing you to kind of open your door less and lean over the window while getting in.

Now, if this is happening when you're getting out of your car rather instead of while entering, I have to ask you if you've folded your mirrors in. That could be a combined function that whenever you fold your mirrors in it assumes that you're in a tight parking space and then winds your window down as well (have no idea).

Quote:

The only thing that I can think of that's similar is when I release the pedal and the engine is revving down, it sort of whines a little, but I love that sound and I quite sure that it's suppose to be there. From what you're saying I get the impression of this being while accelerating, could you give some further explanations about in what gear you hear this sound and at about what RPM?

Quote:
2. The ventilation system is LOUD way too loud when the air-conditioning fan is on any speed above about the lowest two settings. I like leaving it on AUTO at about 20 degrees C and set there the fan is constantly bugging me with a whooshing noise.

Well, I too have been having somewhat a problem with the ventilation. Whenever I'm riding with friends I tend to accelerate a little bit more often too show off And what I do then is I pull down both windows half way to hear the exhaust roooaaaaring. But whenever I don't feel like pulling the windows down (that's just tooo obvious haha), I have to turn off the fan. Other than when wanting to hear the exhaust I haven't had any problems at all with the ventilation, it sounds just like in any other of my family's BMW's.

The whooshing sound as you describe, is it coming from the fan itself or is it from the air being separated, I mean... You can hear air move (ow crap... Hard to explain...). Imagine that you have a whip and while dragging it through the air you hear a whining noise while it's moving through the air. That kind of sound?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 07:43 AM   #4
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne View Post
The only thing that I can think of that's similar is when I release the pedal and the engine is revving down, it sort of whines a little, but I love that sound and I quite sure that it's suppose to be there. From what you're saying I get the impression of this being while accelerating, could you give some further explanations about in what gear you hear this sound and at about what RPM?
It's the induction roar of air being sucked into the engine via the air intake.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 07:44 AM   #5
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Windows going half way down has happened to me a couple of times ... I don't know why. I guess that's the way the comfort access is programmed in the M3.

I have one concern in the three weeks of ownership ... I can hear a CD changer like noise coming from behind the steering wheel on a regular basis. Anyone got an idea as to what it is?

I just love this car ...

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 08:04 AM   #6
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
Windows going half way down has happened to me a couple of times ... I don't know why. I guess that's the way the comfort access is programmed in the M3.

I have one concern in the three weeks of ownership ... I can hear a CD changer like noise coming from behind the steering wheel on a regular basis. Anyone got an idea as to what it is?

I just love this car ...

Cheers
Do you have navigation? It's probably the Nav DVD.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 08:06 AM   #7
Dazzler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne View Post
It happens from idle all the way through the revs. This is why I don't think it's induction noise as the air being sucked in at idle isnt enough to make a noise into the cabin I suspect. The closest thing I can think that it sounds like other than a radio with ignition noise comming through it is the gear drive on a supercharger or old engine with gear driven cams. its a "zzzzzzz (low rev) ZZZZZZZZZZZ (higer rev)" type noise but its always there. The pitch of the noise changes with the revs but NOT the volume.

I have asked my Dealer to drive a demonstrator to see if I hear the noise on that car.

Thanks everyone for your answers so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 08:22 AM   #8
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Noise

Quote:
It happens from idle all the way through the revs. This is why I don't think it's induction noise as the air being sucked in at idle isnt enough to make a noise into the cabin I suspect.
If it happens at idle you should be able to get out of the car and home in on the source.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 08:26 AM   #9
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I know it's not this pronounced, but does it sound anything like straight cut gears?

Here's a vid just for reference

edit: nvm..I was thinking it could be the synchros, but if it's happening at idle it can't be. The only reason I was thinking it could be is because I can hear mine through my SSK sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 08:32 AM   #10
Dazzler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
I know it's not this pronounced, but does it sound anything like straight cut gears?

Here's a vid just for reference

edit: nvm..I was thinking it could be the synchros, but if it's happening at idle it can't be. The only reason I was thinking it could be is because I can hear mine through my SSK sometimes.
Possibly, but it is very very subtle as in anyone over the age of say 50 might have trouble hearing it. (not to be rude to over 50s but high frequency hearing starts to drop off in our 40s)

Yes - I see your edit re: idle. But it could be gear noise from in the engine eg waterpump, cams - whatever might be gear driven I am not sure if this motor has gear driven anything or if its all belts or chains.

Anyway - I might see if i can record it - but i fear the volume of this noise is to low to be audible on a recording.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 08:36 AM   #11
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
It happens from idle all the way through the revs. This is why I don't think it's induction noise as the air being sucked in at idle isnt enough to make a noise into the cabin I suspect. The closest thing I can think that it sounds like other than a radio with ignition noise comming through it is the gear drive on a supercharger or old engine with gear driven cams. its a "zzzzzzz (low rev) ZZZZZZZZZZZ (higer rev)" type noise but its always there. The pitch of the noise changes with the revs but NOT the volume.

I have asked my Dealer to drive a demonstrator to see if I hear the noise on that car.

Thanks everyone for your answers so far.
Mofomat's explanation indeed can be ruled out, then. The air intake is only audible when you're accelerating quite hard.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 09:05 AM   #12
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

The intake and exhaust cams have straight cut gears between them instead of a chain but I'm sure steps were taken to make the operation as quiet as possible, and I would be surprised if that was the source of the noise.

One of my cars is Roush/Eaton supercharged and it definitely produces an audible whine when under boost.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 09:15 AM   #13
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I guess it could be VANOS. If my windows are rolled down I can hear mine sometimes. But, the only reason I don't think that's the case is that no one else has reported hearing it. Also, I have to really try to listen on my car. Granted, the S65 is a new engine and VANOS might louder in it, but like Randy said, I imagine that BMW would take every measure possible in order to keep noises like that to a minimum.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 10:02 AM   #14
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
The Clunk

Since no one has mentioned it, I assume the issue the E46 version had with the "clunk" (driveline lash) is solved?

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #15
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
The ventilation system is LOUD way too loud when the air-conditioning fan is on any speed above about the lowest two settings. I like leaving it on AUTO at about 20 degrees C and set there the fan is constantly bugging me with a whooshing noise.

Cheers,
D
It's bloody freezing here, so am yet to try the a/c but the fan is pretty noisy I agree, although it does keep the w/screen clear...

My window has done that a couple of times when opening the door - I'm sure I saw something in the handbook about it the first time I read it, but I've not been able to find it since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Since no one has mentioned it, I assume the issue the E46 version had with the "clunk" (driveline lash) is solved?
My car "clunks" when slipping the clutch. A few others have described something similar.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 10:43 AM   #16
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13eastie View Post
My window has done that a couple of times when opening the door - I'm sure I saw something in the handbook about it the first time I read it, but I've not been able to find it since.
Think it's called Comfort Open of the Central Locking. If you press the open button twice the window goes down halfway (doesn't need to be within 2 seconds). Can be deactivated in the referring IDrive menu, though.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 11:04 AM   #17
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13eastie View Post
It's bloody freezing here, so am yet to try the a/c but the fan is pretty noisy I agree, although it does keep the w/screen clear....
But air conditioning isn't just for warm weather. You should use it all the time basically, as it makes the heating and climate control more effective. It will also demist the windows a lot quicker, and then keep them demisted.

Infact, if you look in your owners manual it will probably say you should at least use your air-conditioning every 7 days in order for it to work properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 11:13 AM   #18
Ray33
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
But air conditioning isn't just for warm weather. You should use it all the time basically, as it makes the heating and climate control more effective. It will also demist the windows a lot quicker, and then keep them demisted.

Infact, if you look in your owners manual it will probably say you should at least use your air-conditioning every 7 days in order for it to work properly.
i dont think mine has ever been off...no matter what the weather.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 12:04 PM   #19
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post

Do you wear contact lenses?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 12:05 PM   #20
Pancho
Commander
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

Quote:
Hi,

Cheers,
D

No such noises in my M3 with 2,500 kms. Only the windows halfway a couple of times. The only thing that I had to do was change the windshield due to distorsion of the glass. A new one was installed with the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 12:11 PM   #21
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
Glad that you're loving it mate As far as CA goes: windows may be rolling down when "open" is pressed longer using keyless access - that's what happens in my 5er, anyway.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 12:11 PM   #22
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Think it's called Comfort Open of the Central Locking. If you press the open button twice the window goes down halfway (doesn't need to be within 2 seconds). Can be deactivated in the referring IDrive menu, though.

Best regards, south
I think this is very much a non-essential feature and I can't understand why it is named as such since it will only improve comfort for a small number of owners - most people really ought to use the conventional method of entering and leaving the car...
Attached Images

Last edited by 13eastie; 12-12-2007 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0