BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

04-03-2023, 12:10 PM   #1
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/4/6

Pinched Wire causing gauge cluster failure?

Got a weird one for you guys. Haven't done any troubleshooting yet but I have a question...

The symptoms:I am getting code U112B which is a instrument cluster failure code. Car runs and drives totally fine, but every minute or two all the dash lights come on/instrument cluster freaks out. Also none of the idrive scroll or buttons work.

All goes back to normal after about 10-20 seconds (except CEL for the aforementioned code, and still no use of idrive). Only seems to do this while moving, once I stop at a light or something I can use iDrive again, and the dash doesn't freak out.

Tentative cause: On Saturday I washed my car very thoroughly, spraying a lot of water at all angles.

And then I installed Mr12volt unit. During install I cracked the OEM clip in the center console that plugs into the iDrive controls. And possibly pinched one of the wires.

The Question:Would just a cracked clip/pinched wire at iDrive controls cause the whole dash to freak out like that? If so, why would it only start once I start moving? When I first start up the car, everything works normally.

Or, is there something sensitive that I bumped elsewhere? I installed the mr12olt back by the fuse panel behind the glovebox. Could be hitting something...

I know all these components are interconnected, just wanted to see if anyone else was getting all these Christmas lights from just a pinched wire somewhere. Or if it's something else causing this.

2011 Jerez E90 M3 6-speed Competition Package

Last edited by Thumbie; 04-03-2023 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 10:29 AM   #2
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update: that wasn't it. Rechecked all connections and cleared all codes. Now it all works fine but I have a low tire warning and I can't reset TPMS. I read somewhere it is a module failure that can cause this? Will do more digging on that.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 11:45 AM   #3
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Late Update: I am pretty sure it's the mr12volt unit. It's too much of a coincidence not to be. The problem went away for a while but now is happening almost constantly. I am going to check all fuses. How do you check relays?

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 09:45 AM   #4
nurburgracer
Rep
Drives: E46 330i

Sounds like a short circuit of some sort. Why not try disconnect power to mr12volt and see what happens?
Appreciate 1
Thumbie95.50
      06-21-2023, 01:39 PM   #5
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It takes power from the headunit, and that is connected by the large clip so I can't isolate power without cutting the most loop. I may need to try again reverting back to stock. I did once before and all seemed to work fine.

Appreciate 0