BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

10-12-2021, 05:58 PM   #221
nibty
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 M3 Competition

After spending some more time in the car with Hip Hop playing loudly, I found the loss of bass significant and easy to spot. I was playing the new Tech n9ne album and switching between the CIC Bluetooth and Carplay. Adjusting the CIC EQ and Bass introduced more distortion than bass.

Everything else with this system seems to work great. I really hope the sound quality can be improved by software.

My Specs:
2011 E92 M3 Competition
Top HiFi (Harman/Kardon?) audio system
iPhone 13 pro max (iOS 15.0.2)
Mr12volt latest firmware and software
Appreciate 3
djan9el47.00
drwankel1034.50
SlimE92185.50
      10-12-2021, 06:46 PM   #222
djan9el
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibty View Post
So I just tested a few songs and some bass test tones from the mr12volt USB, Carplay, and USB on the CIC.

The mr12volt tests sounded the same from both USB and Carplay, with a lower volume on the lower ranges - loss of bass. The test from the CIC USB sounded better with louder and fuller bass.

I used test tones from https://www.kicker.com/test-tones. Running the consistent 50hz test made it easy to switch around and notice the difference in volume. I also tested with a few hip hop songs from the charts.
Thanks for the feedback! As I suspected, sounds like a current limitation with Mr12Volt unit, so hopefully it can be fixed with a firmware update.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 08:33 PM   #223
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
So I just tested a few songs and some bass test tones from the mr12volt USB, Carplay, and USB on the CIC.

The mr12volt tests sounded the same from both USB and Carplay, with a lower volume on the lower ranges - loss of bass. The test from the CIC USB sounded better with louder and fuller bass.

I used test tones from https://www.kicker.com/test-tones. Running the consistent 50hz test made it easy to switch around and notice the difference in volume. I also tested with a few hip hop songs from the charts.
Thank you so much for this. I'm sending this information over to mr12volt in the support thread I have going with them in the hopes it helps their investigation.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 12:45 PM   #224
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009550iMSport View Post
Update for OEM mic splitter buyers:

Hey guys! Don’t worry, I haven’t forgotten about you! I’m still waiting on the splitters to come in the mail. They’re finally in the country but were held up at customs for some reason. Thank you AliExpress “Premium” Shipping

They’ve cleared customs as of yesterday and are en route to my house. I imagine they’ll be here on Monday, if not today. I will send an email out to everyone individually whenever I get them mailed out.

Regards,

Rob
Hi Rob - a gentle reminder, I am still expecting mine.
Thanks in advance!
      10-13-2021, 03:19 PM   #225
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

With the Andream unit, I am still getting audio quality drops. I think this maybe a CarPlay bug with Spotify being impacted by waze even after iOS 15.0.2.

Seems the bug can only be corrected by closing waze. The audio snaps back. Bass and volume are noticeably reduced when this happens.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 04:44 PM   #226
nibty
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandan View Post
With the Andream unit, I am still getting audio quality drops. I think this maybe a CarPlay bug with Spotify being impacted by waze even after iOS 15.0.2.

Seems the bug can only be corrected by closing waze. The audio snaps back. Bass and volume are noticeably reduced when this happens.
I just updated Waze (4.78.2), and this issue seems to have resolved itself for me
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 06:10 PM   #227
drwankel
Major
Rep

Oh cool, I was noticing that as well, waze kept on messing up the audio stream until I killed it, or lowered and raised the guidance volume.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 09:57 PM   #228
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I updated waze to 4.78.2 and it's still causing audio drop issues. Also now the Siri for directions is not working period. If you click the dictate over mic button it's just opens and closes rapidly without an opportunity to say anything. Even if you quit and go to another app it's messing things up in the background.

When I have time to swap from Andream to Mr12Volt this weekend I'll report back.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 10:54 PM   #229
nibty
Rep

Quote:
I updated waze to 4.78.2 and it's still causing audio drop issues.
Strange. Now I'm unsure know why mine started to work.

Quote:
If you click the dictate over mic button it's just opens and closes rapidly without an opportunity to say anything.
I noticed this too. I think Waze is trying to use the phone's microphone, and when the screen is locked, the mic opens then closes quickly. Alternatively, I've been able to ask Siri to "navigate to **** with Waze" which works, but the microphone quality (using the mic splitter) of the mr12volt unit is so damn bad she can't understand me half the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 10:58 PM   #230
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Strange. Now I'm unsure know why mine started to work.

I noticed this too. I think Waze is trying to use the phone's microphone, and when the screen is locked, the mic opens then closes quickly. Alternatively, I've been able to ask Siri to "navigate to **** with Waze" which works, but the microphone quality (using the mic splitter) of the mr12volt unit is so damn bad she can't understand me half the time.
I've been wondering about this actually. What if our input from the OEM microphone is so shitty using the splitter cable (because of wrong mic software settings) that it's causing all voice dictation programs/features to flip out?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 04:29 PM   #231
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Not sure how many of you guys have HK sound and went from Andream units to Mr12Volt.

What I can tell you is that this box is much much more refined! Way faster, reliable and stable.

Sound quality is phenomenal, there is a slight lack of bass as others have pointed out but not an issue when you up the tone in idrive. The punch it delivers is outstanding. Night and day difference.

My mic splitter from Andream is also causing the same audio issues and I have hooked up the supplied mic for now.

I had the same issue with the idrive knob connection. It's slightly wider by a micron so you need to make sure it seats all the way in for it to work correctly.

For 135i guys, the LVDS connection is too short to mount the box under the passenger dash vent. For now I have it above the blower vent way in there and loosely hanging in an awkward spot. I plan on getting a right angle LDVS male to female extension so I can mount it under the passenger vent.

I would love hear when the mic issue is sorted.

Thanks for all the info here dudes, what a great improvement from Andream. That was really garbage compared with this box.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 08:28 PM   #232
netcsk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 325, e30 325, e46 m3, 2002

Quote:
My mic splitter from Andream is also causing the same audio issues and I have hooked up the supplied mic for now.
The mic noise issues are resolved when using the mr12v included mic? Does it then sound similar to the oem Bluetooth calling? Interesting to hear. If yes, I may try to find a place to hide it.

Of note, wired and wireless carplay (multiple phones and OS versions) is still not working for me, but android auto is still fine. Support has been responsive, but still no resolution when reported 2 weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 10:02 PM   #233
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by netcsk View Post
Quote:
The mic noise issues are resolved when using the mr12v included mic? Does it then sound similar to the oem Bluetooth calling? Interesting to hear. If yes, I may try to find a place to hide it.

Of note, wired and wireless carplay (multiple phones and OS versions) is still not working for me, but android auto is still fine. Support has been responsive, but still no resolution when reported 2 weeks ago.
Yes the Mr12volt 3.5" TRS mic works perfectly, the splitter that I have is mono or two pin 3.5" TS and does not appear to work with the box. Waze is still buggy though with directions and needs to be fixed still.

I'm not sure if this will help but I may try a mono to stereo 3.5" adapter when I go back to relocate everything once I get a longer LVDS female to male cable for 1 series fitment (under passenger vent).

Was anyone able to get the Siri steering wheel button to work? I'll need to double check the MCU and software version I have but I suspect it's the latest (ordered around Oct 1).
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 10:22 PM   #234
nibty
Rep

Quote:
Yes the Mr12volt 3.5" TRS mic works perfectly, the splitter that I have is mono or two pin 3.5" TS and does not appear to work with the box. Waze is still buggy though with directions and needs to be fixed still.

I'm not sure if this will help but I may try a mono to stereo 3.5" adapter when I go back to relocate everything once I get a longer LVDS female to male cable for 1 series fitment (under passenger vent).

Was anyone able to get the Siri steering wheel button to work? I'll need to double check the MCU and software version I have but I suspect it's the latest (ordered around Oct 1).
My Siri button works. I just needed to disable the stock voice control.

Last edited by nibty; 10-17-2021 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
dandandan101.50
      10-18-2021, 09:41 AM   #235
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm positive it wont. Before I installed my mr12volt unit, I took the included MIC, and busted out my ohm meter to confirm if it was a mono mic or not. It absolutely is. I can measure resistance on one channel, and the other is completely open. That extra channel on the plug was probably because they could get stereo plugs cheaper/easier than mono plugs if I had to guess.
Appreciate 1
dandandan101.50
      10-18-2021, 11:26 AM   #236
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

My Siri button works. I just needed to disable the stock voice control.
Does this require coding out?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 12:27 PM   #237
netcsk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 325, e30 325, e46 m3, 2002

Quote:
Does this require coding out?
From prior in the thread, yes. I use NCS, but didn't have to code it out as my built in voice assistant was already broken from a prior update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djan9el View Post
Using Bimmercode:

Headunit -> Expert Mode -> 3000 HMI
Find SVS option and change it to nicht active
CODE -> START CODING
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 12:47 PM   #238
Gotboost79
Private
Rep
Drives: E30, E36 m3/4/6 S54, E92 M3 AW

Hey guys, I’m stumped…I already emailed mr12v for support but wondering if anyone else has issues wi the the idrive control. Mine is not working at all so can’t even test whether this thing is working or not. I went through 3x already and still the same issue of idrive not responding at all to any of the buttons or the knob itself.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 12:50 PM   #239
nibty
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotboost79 View Post
Hey guys, I’m stumped…I already emailed mr12v for support but wondering if anyone else has issues wi the the idrive control. Mine is not working at all so can’t even test whether this thing is working or not. I went through 3x already and still the same issue of idrive not responding at all to any of the buttons or the knob itself.
Make sure to push the connector in hard until it clicks. I had the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 01:02 PM   #240
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The connector should be fully seated and is slightly different length than the stock when fully in. Here is an image I took when I ran into this same problem…
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 01:51 PM   #241
drwankel
Major
Rep

+1 I had to use way more force than what seemed necessary to get that connector to seat, and it made a very loud click once it did.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 03:18 PM   #242
Gotboost79
Private
Rep
Drives: E30, E36 m3/4/6 S54, E92 M3 AW

Quote:
The connector should be fully seated and is slightly different length than the stock when fully in. Here is an image I took when I ran into this same problem…
Gents thank you so much…it was exactly that!! I thought it was in but had to use some brute force to get it in there. Really appreciate the picture and mention of pushing it in more.

Now I’m trying to connect to the mr12v Bluetooth but my phone goes haywire with “Accessory not supported” 🤬 why can’t this damn thing just work!!
Appreciate 0