BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

05-24-2023, 10:32 PM   #1519
richard_tricky
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUG8RB8 View Post
I have been trying for years to get it to work, nothing seems to help. I finally broke down and started using my Pro 2 IPods, it is a PITA, but they work perfectly and my callers say it actually sounds better than if I am just using the phone.
Unfortunately I think it’s just another product that’s never fully tested or even just bought from a manufacturer, re branded and then sold on.

You look at the settings pages etcetc and all these units seem to running the same operating system with various features enabled depending on the reseller.

What will happen is a newer product will miraculously appear and fix that one huge flaw (Like the p2000 did with the Equaliser function ) because people complained of the audio quality before that.

Then most people will be offered a discount to “upgrade"

Appreciate 1
RUG8RB8146.00
      05-26-2023, 10:08 AM   #1520
fdrxseven
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335, F02 740LI

Quote:
I have been trying for years to get it to work, nothing seems to help. I finally broke down and started using my Pro 2 IPods, it is a PITA, but they work perfectly and my callers say it actually sounds better than if I am just using the phone.
I have had both Mr12volt light and DSP series installed in my 335i CCC with L7 and for almost a year of using, i have to say up to now i have not encountered of the mic problem, they run pretty smooth and sound moderately good for my car.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 09:03 AM   #1521
daiv_
Rep
Drives: E61 530i / S2000

i've also not had issue with mic / call quality - I don't really like taking calls in my car, but the few i've had have been fine and no one has commented on poor quality.

I do have the mic set up to the side of the centre vent / steering wheel and have set up echo cancellation, so not sure if that's a factor.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 07:48 PM   #1522
yer-eye-uh
Registered
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwades View Post
Any familiar or have a fix with audio not working whilst connected to the BMW bluetooth? Once I disconnect the car's bluetooth it works instantly.

It may be worth mentioning before the installation I always had bluetooth issues (even through multiple iPhone generations); I would have to constantly flip between connecting to AUX and bluetooth until it worked.
Check the audio output on the phone itself, it’s probably toggling to bluetooth when you connect it. You want it to be carplay
Appreciate 1
RUG8RB8146.00
      05-28-2023, 09:50 PM   #1523
pathall1
Rep
Drives: Nothing yet!

Just wrapped up my install on my 09 E92 after carefully reading this entire thread (all 70 pages) and just generally being very interested in this unit/subject. Entire job took around 3 hours and was actually easier than I thought it would be. Here are my thoughts:

1. Highly recommend mounting the unit in the passenger footwell as opposed to behind the actual head unit like the Mr12volt video suggests. Just pop out two Torx screws and drop the panel down, and wedge the unit comfortably in a little nook between what I think are two AC ducts on the upper left hand side up against the transmission tunnel. It's almost like the unit was made to fit there - seamlessly slides in and makes for super easy access in case you ever need to get to it again. There's a picture of this somewhere on this thread if you need a reference.

2. I mounted the microphone in the dome light in the unused mic slot on the passenger side. I routed the cable up the A pillar, underneath the headliner, and stuck the foam bit right into the open cavity. I know there's been a tremendous amount of discussion on call quality with this unit, but after making multiple test calls at various speeds, every person I've been on the phone with has said the quality is perfectly fine. They hear some wind/engine noise but say that I'm perfectly audible. I even had my buddy drive my car while I stayed on the phone in the garage and he sounded perfectly reasonable. Is it the best call quality I've ever heard? Certainly not. But it absolutely works. I have a feeling that people having issues with background noise have intakes/plenums/exhausts that create a lot of background interference (my car only has turner test pipes so no real additional noise). I also didn't run the echo cancellation feature in the OS and it still sounded just fine, but I am planning on experimenting with that too.

3. You should definitely ask at least one person to help you out with this job. While it's definitely doable with one person, having someone else's help made it so much easier to remove trim pieces, route cables through the dash, and grab tools when I needed them. It most certainly cut down on the install time by a lot.

4. There's also seemingly a lot of back and forth regarding whether or not coding is required. I had to code. I don't have the exact codes off the top of my head but they're all over this thread. I used a bluetooth OBD dongle and Bimmercode. Took me less than 5 minutes. I had to change the CD to MP3 to get the multidisk option and then also disabled the BMW voice assistant so that Siri works properly.

5. So far I've only encountered two issues. First is that for some reason my "skip forward" button on my steering wheel isn't working (down arrow). I can skip backward (up arrow), but skip forward isn't happening. I vaguely remember reading one comment on this thread that somebody had a similar issue but that a firmware update fixed this. Tomorrow I'm planning on taking care of the firmware update and will see what happens. My other issue is that when I first powered up the unit I heard an absolutely nasty coil whine coming from it. I restarted it and it seems to have gone away, but I will definitely need to address that if it continues. It was making my head spin it was so bad.

Overall, I'm really happy with this unit so far and think it works excellently. The sound quality is amazing, everything is very snappy and works well, and my call quality is perfectly fine. The install was easier than I expected it would be and I have no complaints. Looking forward to getting to know the OS better and will report back if I discover any other issues. In the meantime, feel free to ask if you have questions.

Last edited by pathall1; 05-28-2023 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 2
Thumbie81.00
Tuukka1.50
      06-01-2023, 06:31 PM   #1524
RUG8RB8
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 E93, many more

Quote:
Originally Posted by yer-eye-uh View Post
Check the audio output on the phone itself, it’s probably toggling to bluetooth when you connect it. You want it to be carplay
I checked CarPlay it is, bummer I was hoping this was it. BTW I have an IPhone and have heard it works better with Android for some reason.
2009 E93 M3, Alpine White, Harrop S/C, BE Bearing Upgrade, ARP Custom Age 625+ rod bolts, Billet DCT Pan and Side Cover, Billet filter cover, Topspeed Quad Resonated 63mm X-pipe, Vangaurd Ti exhaust, 19" BBS Fi's, BPM DCT Tune, BPM Harrop Tune, almost every known early Failure/Leaky item brand new, Mr. 12V DSP MM Upgrade, CF Splitter & Diffuser, P3 Custom Multi Gauge, Lumar Ceramic Tint, 3M PPF
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 03:37 AM   #1525
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Hi all,
Wondered if the collective mind has any idea on this one?...
Fitted the new box to a customers car this last weekend and all went well and he's happy with it. But he's just sent me this message this morning.....

Quote:
... Took me a little while to realise what exactly what was happening, but, every time I indicate right, the sounds cuts out (90% of the volume), and the screen goes off. As soon as I stop indicating it comes back on.

I know I'm not supposed to be indicating as a BMW driver... but was wondering if you knew what could be the issue?...
Now I can't think of a connection between these myself, but wondered if anyone else may have come across this

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 06:12 AM   #1526
Helirupert
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z3M Roadster & E89 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZed View Post
Hi all,
Wondered if the collective mind has any idea on this one?...
Fitted the new box to a customers car this last weekend and all went well and he's happy with it. But he's just sent me this message this morning.....

Now I can't think of a connection between these myself, but wondered if anyone else may have come across this
I think in "Car Settings", at the line "Dedicated right view" the setting accidentally is "On"
It should be changed to "Off".

Worth a try! :
Appreciate 1
CamasM3e933117.50
      06-13-2023, 01:59 AM   #1527
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirupert View Post
I think in "Car Settings", at the line "Dedicated right view" the setting accidentally is "On"
It should be changed to "Off".

Worth a try! :
Excellent, just checked that on mine and it worked perfectly, so I've sent him the detailed instructions on how to set it back to normal, so hopefully that'll sort him out.
Thank you very much, I'm now trying to work out why you'd want to do that in the first place

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 03:22 PM   #1528
RUG8RB8
Private
United_States
Rep

Hello to all, I have a puzzling find today and was hoping somebody could shed some light onto this. I guess it is a good thing, but I have seen nobody claim or state this is possible. I had not upgraded my firmware and I got this like the first week it came out to replace my older version with the bass issue. I had read on here, that now would be a good time to add a MicroSD extension cable so you don't have to pull the dash apart the next time we need to upgrade the firmware. So, I ordered the cable and a new 32GB flash drive. Before pulling dash I took a picture of current FW revision as it states in the instructions, but honestly did not pay attention. I watched the YouTube video and used the settings/general press IDrive button and hold for 8 seconds method, and all went as planned. After reboot, I went to settings/system and took a second picture. I then compared the two pics and was like WTF? They both were the same revision. Yes I checked time stamp too, definitely before and after. So after all of that, my question is can the firmware somehow upgrade itself via WiFi while sitting in the garage?
2009 E93 M3, Alpine White, Harrop S/C, BE Bearing Upgrade, ARP Custom Age 625+ rod bolts, Billet DCT Pan and Side Cover, Billet filter cover, Topspeed Quad Resonated 63mm X-pipe, Vangaurd Ti exhaust, 19" BBS Fi's, BPM DCT Tune, BPM Harrop Tune, almost every known early Failure/Leaky item brand new, Mr. 12V DSP MM Upgrade, CF Splitter & Diffuser, P3 Custom Multi Gauge, Lumar Ceramic Tint, 3M PPF
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 03:35 PM   #1529
RUG8RB8
Private
United_States
Rep

No Picture from Backup Reverse Camera...

I would like to update a solution to a problem I have been having for about 2 months now. My Backup camera had "appeared" to die an early death. I have the one recommended in the very first post, I think from Alibaba or some sh*thole place in China. It had actually worked great for a couple years, but now I put car in reverse and get the guide lines with a black screen. I ordered a new camera and no help. I then measured the power line with a DMM and nadda, 0VDC with the wife placing the car in reverse. I then checked ground and it was good. I then found the power and yellow RCA jack behind the dash near the blue box and tapped into that connection and Yay Mr12V not dead, although maybe easier to fix. Turns out the long crappy extension cable that came with the camera has an internal break somewhere between the front and rear of the car. I now have to fish a new all the way back there again nice and tidy like last time. That took me like 3-4 hours as I have a E93 and it is slightly more difficult not to mention, fishing through that elephant trunk rubber tube on the rear deck lid. Just wanted to post incase anyone else is having this same issue. They used like 24-26 awg wire for the damn red power cord. Anything to save a buck...

For temporary I just ran a single new 18awg wire to the back and everything works fine again.

Anybody running a right side camera on a early E92/93 M3? If so, which brand camera did you order and picture of the placement would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 01:57 PM   #1530
Heiko_84
Registered
Rep
Drives: e93 M3

Can I do the firmware update with an usb Stick or just with the sd card?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 10:50 PM   #1531
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Hello to all, I have a puzzling find today and was hoping somebody could shed some light onto this. I guess it is a good thing, but I have seen nobody claim or state this is possible. I had not upgraded my firmware and I got this like the first week it came out to replace my older version with the bass issue. I had read on here, that now would be a good time to add a MicroSD extension cable so you don't have to pull the dash apart the next time we need to upgrade the firmware. So, I ordered the cable and a new 32GB flash drive. Before pulling dash I took a picture of current FW revision as it states in the instructions, but honestly did not pay attention. I watched the YouTube video and used the settings/general press IDrive button and hold for 8 seconds method, and all went as planned. After reboot, I went to settings/system and took a second picture. I then compared the two pics and was like WTF? They both were the same revision. Yes I checked time stamp too, definitely before and after. So after all of that, my question is can the firmware somehow upgrade itself via WiFi while sitting in the garage?
This simply means the firmware did not update. The only way you know for sure that firmware is being written to the device is the blinking LED on the box itself. Part of the problem with the SD extension cable idea, is you have no visual on the box (intentionally). While it's an aesthetically pleasing setup, not having a visual on the box means you can't see the LED.
Appreciate 1
RUG8RB8146.00
      06-28-2023, 10:51 PM   #1532
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko_84 View Post
Can I do the firmware update with an usb Stick or just with the sd card?
SD card only. If they ever make a newer version of the P2000, I hope they change that and allow firmware updates over the USB cable.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 05:06 AM   #1533
na6spdv8
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Does anyone in LA area do installs for e92 m3?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 02:28 PM   #1534
Smeargle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Anyone played with the equalizer on the 12volt yet? Curious to see other people's music setups
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 06:14 PM   #1535
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Hey everyone I was wondering if anyone noticed same issue as me. Since these modules connect over AUX for the audio, I've been using it like that over a week and I had a feeling my bass was weaker. After testing, low and behold the bass is so bad and significantly less "bumpy" than using the stock CIC over Bluetooth. The module I have is Road Top and I got it from ebay but even when testing my smartphone over AUX cable, I have the same exact effect so it mustn't be the module that is the problem. Has anyone encountered this as well and is it just the way the AUX connection is in these cars? Is there some kind of fix? It's a bit of a bummer I must say.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 06:44 PM   #1536
ygoz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Hey everyone I was wondering if anyone noticed same issue as me. Since these modules connect over AUX for the audio, I've been using it like that over a week and I had a feeling my bass was weaker. After testing, low and behold the bass is so bad and significantly less "bumpy" than using the stock CIC over Bluetooth. The module I have is Road Top and I got it from ebay but even when testing my smartphone over AUX cable, I have the same exact effect so it mustn't be the module that is the problem. Has anyone encountered this as well and is it just the way the AUX connection is in these cars? Is there some kind of fix? It's a bit of a bummer I must say.
This module is actually the only one that does not connect using AUX. it sends audio using the cars MOST bus, optically - without any quality loss.

AUX on these cars is sadly quite bad. If you have a combox you can try and make sure you connect directly to the head units aux input and not the combox aux(might need to code it out). as I have read it degrades quality even more - but whatever you do, it’s going to sound average at best.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 07:19 PM   #1537
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ygoz View Post
This module is actually the only one that does not connect using AUX. it sends audio using the cars MOST bus, optically - without any quality loss.

AUX on these cars is sadly quite bad. If you have a combox you can try and make sure you connect directly to the head units aux input and not the combox aux(might need to code it out). as I have read it degrades quality even more - but whatever you do, it’s going to sound average at best.
Ohh ok that's nice. Should've shopped around but being in Canada my selection is limited.

Yeah I've been reading that with my search.... but then some also say they have no issues after a few tweaks. Tough to make a conclusion. Would have to do my test on another car. But someone mentioned to me in another thread there might be new firmware upgrade that allows you to connect to CIC with BT from the MMI module I'm checking with my seller now if they have that, would solve it all.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 07:54 AM   #1538
ygoz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Ohh ok that's nice. Should've shopped around but being in Canada my selection is limited.

Yeah I've been reading that with my search.... but then some also say they have no issues after a few tweaks. Tough to make a conclusion. Would have to do my test on another car. But someone mentioned to me in another thread there might be new firmware upgrade that allows you to connect to CIC with BT from the MMI module I'm checking with my seller now if they have that, would solve it all.
I think Mr12V offer international shipping. No such thing as "no issues" on aux - its not going to sound too good sadly. Had an aux box myself earlier - tried it all.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 08:42 AM   #1539
mare92
Rep
Drives: E92 328xi

Mr12Volt just released version with OEM microphone support and they are taking preorders I just ordered it and will report back when it arrives…

edit: Can somebody please recommend a good backup camera? I have E93 with comfort access on the trunk, will CA work?

Last edited by mare92; 07-17-2023 at 08:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 01:27 PM   #1540
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mare92 View Post
Mr12Volt just released version with OEM microphone support and they are taking preorders I just ordered it and will report back when it arrives…

edit: Can somebody please recommend a good backup camera? I have E93 with comfort access on the trunk, will CA work?
I am very confused about this new product:

https://www.mr12volt.com/products/p2000-cicmm

Looking at it, it uses a MIC splitter. The implementation is rather odd, but I suspect I understand what they did.

This setup uses a quadlock adapter, whereas the previous CIC versions did not need it. What I am guessing, is the new MIC audio hardware might need some extra power, and they might have had to resort a quadlock adapter to get extra power as the power available from tapping the idrive controller wasn't enough.

Also interested the MIC port is still there, yet this mic input goes through a separate interface. That suggests all completely separate analog audio hardware in the box that can work correctly with the OEM Mic.

Doubtful I will upgrade again this go around unless they offer a substantial upgrade discount (which I am not currently seeing), but am definitely curious how this box works out.

The quadlock adapter being in the mix will make installation more difficult. The lack of a quadlock adapter in my opinion was a major benefit in the P2000 vs the AUX audio kits, which all use quadlock adapters. That adapter is bulky and difficult to position behind the headunit.
Appreciate 0