BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-31-2010, 06:40 PM   #23
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
[...]

A tip: When you get a new mag, fill it up and keep it loaded for a while. I've found that helps to break in the mag springs.
This is a pretty common misconception. Keeping a mag loaded DOES NOT weaken the spring in any way. Just as keeping a car loaded doesn't wear out its springs (maybe other parts, lol). It's actually the elastic motion of the spring metal as the spring compresses and decompresses with use that is the only thing that can weaken a spring. Physics 101. Google spring coefficients.

I have 30rd AK mags for my WASR10, 22rd extended XD40 mags and some 1911 mags laying around that have been loaded for like 5-7 years and maybe used once before that. They are just as stiff as a brand new one that's been cycled once.

Check out http://www.PAFOA.org/forum for lots of great info, if you're ever bored..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 08:59 PM   #24
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
This is a pretty common misconception. Keeping a mag loaded DOES NOT weaken the spring in any way. Just as keeping a car loaded doesn't wear out its springs (maybe other parts, lol). It's actually the elastic motion of the spring metal as the spring compresses and decompresses with use that is the only thing that can weaken a spring. Physics 101. Google spring coefficients.

I have 30rd AK mags for my WASR10, 22rd extended XD40 mags and some 1911 mags laying around that have been loaded for like 5-7 years and maybe used once before that. They are just as stiff as a brand new one that's been cycled once.

Check out http://www.PAFOA.org/forum for lots of great info, if you're ever bored..
Thanks for the info. I actually agree with everything you said there. I've even read stories about loaded 1911 mags from WWII being found and the magazine functioned perfectly.

Here's the thing, I had a brand new Glock 23 magazine that I loaded as soon as I got it with some JHPs. 13th round required a little extra effort. Didn't use that magazine for a of couple weeks. After emptying that mag on the range, loaded it back up with some FMJs and the 13th round was no problem whatsoever. Spring seemed a little more "broken in" to me.

What do you think the deal was there? Was the act of decompressing the once compressed spring enough to make a discernible difference in spring tension?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 09:30 PM   #25
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Was the act of decompressing the once compressed spring enough to make a discernible difference in spring tension?
Yes. The other factors are the friction of the polymer follower. Those break in as well, and they have their own form of lubricity. I carried glocks for years and the mags stayed the same as the first loading for years and MANY loading cycles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 11:30 PM   #26
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by giants84 View Post
UPLULA Is very good.
If you're still reading the replies, stop. Get this. Great product!
      01-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #27
ToothDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 TTS, CLA 45 AMG

The XDs come with a simple loader and works in a similar fashion but because it is custom made for their magazines, it fits perfectly. The other one in discussion works great too, but there is some space between the magazine and the loader and you actually have to squeeze and push down. Having said that, I like to typically have and shoot 40-80 magazines at the range at a time so it's a real thumb buster loading all those empty magazines w/o one of these. As others have said, 1911s don't count.
Appreciate 0