BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

10-06-2009, 11:33 PM   #23
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

some really great responses as to why the M3 is a better choice, but it isnt for everyone.

So in the end, go with what feels right.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 11:55 PM   #24
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Oh god another Audi troll
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 12:37 AM   #25
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpblue View Post
Do you have your period?
Although it may not be an attack per se I find this a bit offensive. After all who wants to be compared to a girl/woman in a derogatory fashion (with the very reasonable assumption about the sex of the person this was directed at). Someone once said this to me and I know I was quite pissed. You both have some good points about tires. Just try to keep away from the insults.

No I'm not a mod, just trying to help keep things more cordial. Cheers guys.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 01:32 AM   #26
fpblue
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E90

If you find it offensive, you should lighten up.
      10-07-2009, 01:46 AM   #27
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
I'm with swamp on this. Too many times when someone disagrees they turn to remarks like this to try and belittle a person, if you can conduct yourself in a decent manner then don't post.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 01:54 AM   #28
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 01:54 AM   #29
fpblue
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E90

It was said in jest, as was the other poster's mocking laughter at my earlier post. Was that offensive to you as well? I'm going to notify the ACLU. Geez!
      10-07-2009, 02:22 AM   #30
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmartin View Post
Don't fall into the same pattern as Sticky did just because someone has a different opinion than your own.

I haven't even commented on the subject matter of this thread, just agreed with swamp.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 02:31 AM   #31
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Don't fall into the same pattern as Sticky did just because someone has a different opinion than your own.

I haven't even commented on the subject matter of this thread, just agreed with swamp.
Wasnt for you but if you want it ok... lol
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 02:37 AM   #32
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadC4s View Post
I had been planning on a new M3 to replace my Z4 M coupe when it comes off lease in March but today I drove the new S4.
Someone please tell me why I should spend 10k more for the M3, I am starting to waver....
So you are considering the M3 sedan, correct?

If you don't absolutely love the M3's high revving V8, then the S4 might be the better choice. However, I have to ask - have you driven a 335i? You might find you also love that car as well, and it is even cheaper than the S4.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 03:35 AM   #33
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I had been planning on a new M3 to replace my Z4 M coupe when it comes off lease in March but today I drove the new S4. Its a very impressive car and was a hoot to drive. Very fast, very solid and the dual clutch tranny was sweet. The Quattro is a real advantage given all the rain and snow we see in the midwest. The car is more comfortable and practical and with every option (Voice activated Nav, Bang and Olufsen stereo, adjustable suspension and torque distributing rear diff, rear view camera, sunroof, etc etc) is just under 60K. It also gets 28mpg on the highway! Someone please tell me why I should spend 10k more for the M3, I am starting to waver....
As I sat in the same situation as you are just a few months ago I feel I can give an insight in this.

Firstly the car. Impressed I see, I was too and I repeated the same comment you are writing here because I honest felt and still do that it offers 95% of the M3's potential for less money and still maintains the advantage in the wet and snow. So why didn't I jump? Well the simple answer was price after you spec it to a decent level, I don't know how it's priced across the pond but here you would have been adding the think end of £9K or 25% of it's basic cost in extras which everyone knows you'll lose a minimum of 60~70% of their values once you leave the showroom.

Now if you are likely to spend similar money on your M3 in extras then by all means you will be no worth off with the S4 and still be saving money to start but I doubt you will need to spend as much on the M3 in comparison as all the really important goodies come standard on the M, like the LSD, cruise control, parking, full leather, etc, etc.

So where does that leave you. Seriously I don't know I've driven both the 335i and S4 and I can't agree that it's nearly as good, it's doesn't offer the things on your list like Dual Clutch, B&O speakers, diff, adaptive suspension or Audi select (similar to the M-button). Think of the S4 as a stepping stone between the 335i and M3 but with awd and you won't be far off.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 04:45 AM   #34
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

With M3 prices dropping to near invoice now its making the decision tougher. Being so new in the market, the S4 will probably be going for just under MSRP for a little while just like the M3s did when they first came out. Now that the M3s are near invoice, the purchase price will be very close. In that case, I would say if you don't absolutely need the AWD, I would go with the M3. However, if the S4 was out when I was shopping for a car, I probably would have had a tough time choosing too. I loved my B5 S4. It did need a lot of maintenance once it hit 100k miles but that is true of any euro car. That's just something you live with when you own a euro car. BMWs aren't any different in that category. Just drive both and see which ones suits you better.
      10-07-2009, 05:19 AM   #35
M&M
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Boosted Beemers!

There are some intangibles which no-one on this forum will be able to explain. Thos that have owned 335's will know what I'm talking about. The on-paper facts show the M3 not to be worth the premium over the 335. But when you jump into the driver's seat, you understand the meaning of M-power & the sheer satisfaction it brings to the driver. Whether other cars are more practical or better value for money or offer better performance is immaterial if you want a car that delivers sheer driving pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 05:29 AM   #36
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M View Post
There are some intangibles which no-one on this forum will be able to explain. Thos that have owned 335's will know what I'm talking about. The on-paper facts show the M3 not to be worth the premium over the 335. But when you jump into the driver's seat, you understand the meaning of M-power & the sheer satisfaction it brings to the driver. Whether other cars are more practical or better value for money or offer better performance is immaterial if you want a car that delivers sheer driving pleasure.
I tried to explain that to another member, can't recall who but he felt the sole reason for buying an M3 or any M was the ultra high revving engine but I said M-ness is much more than that. It's controls especially feel different to other BMWs, but it's really noticeable difference is how the suspension performs, vice like yet supple with bumps.

It's why I say that ever the switch to FI won't confuse the issue because an M is so much more than just a great engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 06:35 AM   #37
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
I personally feel the 2010 S4 is no comparison to the M3 unless you need the S4 due to the better snow/winter capabilities. But for a DD, performance car, track car, touring car or whatever you may use it for the S4 is no competition... maybe the new RS4/RS5 but til then M3 ftw.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 09:31 AM   #38
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

I would go m3 all day cause it is better in everyway. the only thing the s4 has is if someone want AWD. But then, there are ton of other better option for AWD and winter. X6M.

i even pick the x6 35i or 50i over the s4 in a heart beat. Since you are talking about winter, the x6 has more ground clearance, safer, bigger, more storeage, ton of power, etc.

or even the infiniti fx35 or fx50 over the s4.

IMO those SUV look more exciting than the S4 and more practical for winter.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 10:07 AM   #39
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
No, I don't understand why anyone would make such a point. That's why I laughed the first time at the comparison. Most people at least make an attempt to compare OEM to OEM (both on UHP tires), which would then lead one to the obvious logical extension that the S4 will be better on snow tires than the M3 on snow tires.

And why would "most people with AWD not bother to get winter tires"? Could it be because AWD handles better on OEM tires in slippery conditions? That can only mean it also handles better on snow tires.

The point he was making is totally valid - the M3, with snow tires, is very capable in the snow. He was trying to compare it to an AWD with all seasons so the OP has a base of reference. He never said that the M3 is better with snows than the S4.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #40
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
I would go m3 all day cause it is better in everyway. the only thing the s4 has is if someone want AWD. But then, there are ton of other better option for AWD and winter. X6M.

i even pick the x6 35i or 50i over the s4 in a heart beat. Since you are talking about winter, the x6 has more ground clearance, safer, bigger, more storeage, ton of power, etc.

or even the infiniti fx35 or fx50 over the s4.

IMO those SUV look more exciting than the S4 and more practical for winter.
You have to understand the way the torsen system works in comparison to BMW's x-drive, it's different and while the x-drive will cope fine with some stuff it's actually not that great in the winter. Though to be perfectly honest neither the S4 or 335xi or even the X6M will fair that great until snow tyres are fitted.

What the X6 has is ground clearance and that's all important in heavy snow. If you are less likely to experience such snow falls then any of them will be perfect but only the S4 is offering everything that's on offer (extras wise) that the M3 has, plus I'm guessing that price has a bearing on things so the X6M will probably be out of the running.

Mate if you go the Audi route then go easy on the extras and post pictures, if you can't resist the M3 and can put up with the occasional scary moments in the snow then again post pictures, either way they are both great cars to own and cherish.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #41
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpblue View Post
If you find it offensive, you should lighten up.
No you should take some very friendly advice from a long term memeber here. It is quite simply your statement was either totally non-offensive, or it was offensive. My remarks indicate the latter. The offense is up to the person reading not the person writting.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #42
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
No you should take some very friendly advice from a long term memeber here. It is quite simply your statement was either totally non-offensive, or it was offensive. My remarks indicate the latter. The offense is up to the person reading not the person writting.
Quite right.

If you have nothing constructive to say then just say nothing.

P.S.
You spelt member wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #43
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

Quote:
I had been planning on a new M3 to replace my Z4 M coupe when it comes off lease in March but today I drove the new S4. Its a very impressive car and was a hoot to drive. Very fast, very solid and the dual clutch tranny was sweet. The Quattro is a real advantage given all the rain and snow we see in the midwest. The car is more comfortable and practical and with every option (Voice activated Nav, Bang and Olufsen stereo, adjustable suspension and torque distributing rear diff, rear view camera, sunroof, etc etc) is just under 60K. It also gets 28mpg on the highway! Someone please tell me why I should spend 10k more for the M3, I am starting to waver....

I have a 2008 Audi A4 with APR tuning and it is clearly a better DD than the M3, BUT if you want to take your car to the track the M3 is way better. I did not drive the new S4 yet and it may be way better than my A4 still I think the M3 is, or can be a better track car. Telling the truth there are people on the track who cannot use a GT3 properly and I pass them with the M3, but there are people with VW GTI very fast too.
Anyway, no one on this or any other forum can or should decide for you so just go and drive both of them multiple times. That's what I did with the Audi TT-S and I went for the M3 at the end. If I could have only one car the 335xi or the S4 would be a better choice for me than the M3.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #44
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I couldn't agree more.

However, as the person to whom the "offensive" jab was directed, I don't mind when that happens on an internet forum. I actually find it helpful in sorting out the quality individuals from whom I can learn, as opposed to those who aren't deserving of credibility. When a person takes such a ludicrous jab, I just write them off permanently, without taking any offense. Many others do the same, and their wounds are self-inflicted.