BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-28-2015, 04:30 AM   #133
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
You think these mild tunes really affect the bearings? What about all the stock cars with bearing failures? And my stock car (before I ever took it to the track) that had signs of early wear at 16k miles? Then there are many cars out there with ESS 625-650 kits out there getting driven hard daily for 40-50k miles and still running strong. It seems like it's just the luck of the draw to me. Doesn't really matter what mods you have or how well you take care of or baby your car. Your car could run for 20k or 150k before you might suffer from engine problems.
Your adding stress to a motor that was not designed to handle that stress. I could ask you to carry around a 20 lb bag all day every day, and you'd be fine for awhile, but eventually it would wear you down.

Least you think I've not modded...I had a turbo 350Z that ran great. But the S65 wasn't meant for a blower.
      04-28-2015, 08:06 AM   #134
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Tracked and apparently my "over rev" recording as well. I just found it hilarious that they looked at a few HPDE videos on youtube and concluded that I was "racing". And then seeing BMW M division guys talking about how the M3 is designed for the track and street on the same site.
Exactly , it's f@cking unbelievable .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 08:11 AM   #135
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post

This is internet culture. Think of any product you've bought and had no trouble with. You didn't bother to praise it online, you just went about owning it. But a bad experience? Right away everyone will know.

OP says car was babied. How do you know? I can change the oil every 1000 miles, but if I beat on the car when cold than bad things will happen. Buying used does not mean the history of your car is wiped clean just because car fax and a dealer say so.

And I'm sorry, but if you supercharge or tune your car, that's your prerogative, but than don't wine about bearing failure. Car was not meant to run like that.

And finally, again the owners choice, but why sell the car for something that MIGHT happen. This makes the entire ownership experience bullshit because you get no joy from the car.

I track my car, and I maintain it better than BMW reccommends. What more can I do? Nothing. So I enjoy the car.
I was enjoying mine with that same approach until this happened...
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2015, 08:15 AM   #136
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3

Garage List
Okay so the latest is that the warranty company wants copies of the service history...

I just bought the car 2 months ago, but the previous owner did give me all of the receipt history covering the services performed from 26k miles up to current...

How would I obtain the service records prior to 26k? Can any BMW dealership extract that information from a PC?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 08:19 AM   #137
///Mvy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15M3 + 08GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAp3x View Post
Okay so the latest is that the warranty company wants copies of the service history...

I just bought the car 2 months ago, but the previous owner did give me all of the receipt history covering the services performed from 26k miles up to current...

How would I obtain the service records prior to 26k? Can any BMW dealership extract that information from a PC?
BMW dealership should have be able to pull the service records for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #138
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

All you need is your keyfob because all the service history is stored in your keyfob data .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 08:26 AM   #139
soniczoom5
S65 FTW!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 BMW M3 Silverstone

Garage List
2014 Mercedes  [0.00]
2020 X5 M50i  [0.00]
WTF! i was about to get my first blackstone anaylsis done.....now it seems like a waste of time and money.....someone please refute ha

Quote:
My 2008 E92 M3 with 55,000 miles just spun a bearing on the way work Friday morning... Just bought the car 2 months ago... No warning except for engine tapping, which turned into a knocking sound by the time I could get to the BMW dealership 5 miles away...

Build Date 01/2008

For those of you wasting money on Blackstone reports, I will tell you to save your money because my report from 1000 miles ago scored very well with only moderate metal indicators...

Sandy Sansing BMW has the car currently, and they have already indicated that it has indeed suffered a catastrophic crank bearing failure and a engine replacement is needed...

I bought the car with 49k miles on it, and I have a extended warranty good until 2017 through Premier Dealer Services Auto Warranty company....

Right now, Sandy Sansing BMW has contacted my warranty company to let them know that my car needs a new engine...

Not sure what to expect here!?

I am worried that my warranty company will try to push BMW to put a used engine in the car rather than a new engine...

Anyone have any good advice here?

Car has a very detailed service history with BMW dealers only, and it has been babied its whole life...

[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 08:49 AM   #140
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeeM3 View Post
Many thanks i will do it after work today and PM you later on tonight
Your PM is replied !

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 08:51 AM   #141
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniczoom5 View Post
WTF! i was about to get my first blackstone anaylsis done.....now it seems like a waste of time and money.....someone please refute ha
The problem is not Blackstone, The problem is our S65 !

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 09:18 AM   #142
nthretourNAFTW
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 NA no turbo required

Quote:
I was enjoying mine with that same approach until this happened...
OP, you don't seem to get it. Your car was 49k used when you got it. Only original owners of their car know its full history. There is always a risk in buying a used car, especially a high performance car which requires a more progressive break in procedure. During all its life, the S65 takes a longer time to warm up than most other cars, during that time it is vulnerable.

Consider this also..when people went to their dealerships to testdrive the new e92 M3 during its production years, i believe almost nobody waited for the engine to be warmed up before stepping on it. Think of it, you've heard about it and finally testdriving the new m3, even the salesman will ask you to get on it hard (i've witnessed it). Well, sorry but that is not ok for racing engines and the s65 is one of the closest to a racing engine you get on a commercial car. The engine then develops a B problem.

I believe almost every single M3 that has been on a dealership parking lot went through some abuse before being fully broken in.

For me the first condition of buying an M3 was to get it ordered straight from the factory into my hands or from an original owner who factory ordered it. It was one of the first decision i made when i got interested in the car.

Last edited by nthretourNAFTW; 04-28-2015 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 09:48 AM   #143
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
It's easy to drop blame on mods, but it doesn't change the fact that lots of stock M3's with zero track time are having the same issues.
This.

At this point, it absolutely seems like it's "luck of the draw". If the failure rates will truly be just 2-4% over the life of these engines, the odds are greatly in our favor, but I still hope that the true cause of these failures is determined, and a definitive, accepted "fix" is agreed on at some point in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 09:48 AM   #144
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:

My extended warranty contract states "You must have your vehicle serviced in the following manner every six months or six thousand miles, whichever comes first," and then goes on to mention things like oil changes. "You" and "your" are in bold which I would think means that I am not responsible for any service records prior to my ownership. Does your contract have this stipulation? Can they reasonably expect you to provide records from before you even owned the car? The reason people buy these warranties is to mitigate the risk of buying a used car which may or may not have service records provided to the buyer.
      04-28-2015, 11:19 AM   #145
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

I honestly hope your warranty comes through for you, but a 3rd party company is not going to shell out $20K+ without a fight. So be prepared.
      04-28-2015, 11:27 AM   #146
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
This.

At this point, it absolutely seems like it's "luck of the draw". If the failure rates will truly be just 2-4% over the life of these engines, the odds are greatly in our favor, but I still hope that the true cause of these failures is determined, and a definitive, accepted "fix" is agreed on at some point in the near future.
I have listened to your video (PM)
And...................
For the moment your S65 sounds just perfect !
Let's hope to keep it that way ,same thing here

Appreciate 1
      04-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #147
Richsocal12
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Alpine Weiss - Slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
My '09 E92 M3 has 112K miles, and last week I just got back from a full day at the NCM motorsports park. On Saturday I'll be at road america. I got it at 95K miles last may, had Three track events last year, planing on 6+ this year. Certainly NOT all cars will experience this failure. OP, good luck.
glad to hear this!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 11:29 AM   #148
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by soniczoom5 View Post
A spun rod bearing can eat itself in a few miles. Just because blackstone didn't show a high amount of wear metals at the time of the analysis, doesn't mean it has no worth.
      04-28-2015, 11:34 AM   #149
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
The problem is not Blackstone, The problem is our S65 !
Dude sell your car already. All you do is bitch about the problem but yours is still running no?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 12:05 PM   #150
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
I have listened to your video (PM)
And...................
For the moment your S65 sounds just perfect !
Let's hope to keep it that way ,same thing here
lol how you tried to keep the excitement level high, you're a funny guy
Yeah finger's crossed so it's not happen to anyone!
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2015, 12:06 PM   #151
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
Dude sell your car already. All you do is bitch about the problem but yours is still running no?
Indeed my S65 is running just perfect ,hope to keep it this way because the car is a keeper .
But I can not close my eyes knowing what you know too .

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 04-28-2015 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 12:17 PM   #152
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthretourNAFTW View Post
OP, you don't seem to get it. Your car was 49k used when you got it. Only original owners of their car know its full history. There is always a risk in buying a used car, especially a high performance car which requires more stringent break in procedure. Even after break in, the S65 takes a longer time to warm up than most other cars, during that time it is vulnerable.

Consider this also..when people went to their dealerships to testdrive the new e92 M3 during its production years, i believe almost nobody waited for the engine to be warmed up before stepping on it. Think of it, you're testdriving the new m3, even salesman will ask you to do that (i've witnessed it). Well, sorry but that is not ok for racing engines and the s65 is one of the closest to a racing engine you get on a commercial car. The engine then develops a B problem 50k miles later.

I believe almost every single M3 that has been on a dealership parking lot when through some abused before being fully broken in.

For me owning the m3 was buying it straight from the factory or from an original owner who factory ordered it. It was one of the first decision i made when i got interested in the car.
That is a legit statement except with the statement buying from the first owner.
Car could also be abused.
So best bet, as you mentioned...get one new but it's hard to get the discontinued E9x in these days brand spanking new...sooo here we are many enthusiast's with no really out of this drama...unless
not someone find's a way to drag BMW to court and cash up for all the unfortunate car-enthusiasts.
I think, if this tick-tick-S65 boom histeria, is real talk BMW will sooner or later have to pay the bill.
So a little advice from my side, normally expensive now for free:
No matter what happen's to your motor, don't freak out, keep calm if you even don't have any warranty left because justice will prevail
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #153
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
A spun rod bearing can eat itself in a few miles. Just because blackstone didn't show a high amount of wear metals at the time of the analysis, doesn't mean it has no worth.
+1

The a spun bearing can happen suddenly or slowly.

Oil analysis still gives you a picture of what is going on in the engine - at least the wear that you can see from the analysis report.
      04-28-2015, 12:55 PM   #154
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richsocal12 View Post
glad to hear this!
Thanks!
Appreciate 0