BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

12-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #1
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Rim Strips/Protectors

Anyone purchased these from Bimmian. Thinking about a set for my track wheels to add a little color........Phil

http://www.bimmian.com/CRR/92#tab-order
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

They look promising. But dang, 50 bucks... that's a lot for some rubber and double sided tap, lol.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirsm3 View Post
They look promising. But dang, 50 bucks... that's a lot for some rubber and double sided tap, lol.
Hahaha.....yeah that's what I was thinking. But vinyl tape might be harder to apply.........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
Hahaha.....yeah that's what I was thinking. But vinyl tape might be harder to apply.........Phil
I mean, it's worth a shot if your wheels are hella expensive and you have to parallel park really often (or you're into aesthetics).

Once I get my wheels refinished (last owner hit some nasty curbs on the passenger side), I may look into these just in case I put myself into a position where I'll have to kiss a curb. Otherwise, I'm really good about my wheels. Haven't curbed more than once and that was when I was 16.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #5
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I mean, it's worth a shot if your wheels are hella expensive and you have to parallel park really often (or you're into aesthetics).

Once I get my wheels refinished (last owner hit some nasty curbs on the passenger side), I may look into these just in case I put myself into a position where I'll have to kiss a curb. Otherwise, I'm really good about my wheels. Haven't curbed more than once and that was when I was 16.
This is more for looks and a little fun......these will be on my track wheels. I wouldn't rock these on everyday wheels.........Phil
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #6
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
This is more for looks and a little fun......these will be on my track wheels. I wouldn't rock these on everyday wheels.........Phil
Ahhh I see. Yeah, definitely go crazy with them, then. I think the red ones would look great with the current track set up you're rocking. Gives it a "time attack" look

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #7
djantlive
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 Vert

Don't think those are gonna protect your rims much. The scrape is usually much harder than some foam molding can prevent.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 12:51 PM   #8
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djantlive View Post
Don't think those are gonna protect your rims much. The scrape is usually much harder than some foam molding can prevent.
Looks like rubber/vinyl. Could be wrong, though, I'm looking at the site on my phone, lol.

It's not gonna protect against major curb damage, but I think it'll stop the minor scuffs and scrapes

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #9
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Double sided taped plastic lips on the lip of a track wheel sounds like a great idea.... Have you ever actually been on the track? I would say there is a 95%+ chance that crap is going to fall off once things heat up and you corner hard. Imagine the bead of the hot tire deflecting against the bead of the wheel in a hard corner.

Sorry I sound like a jerk but this seems like a bad idea that will not only impact you, but also the poor guy following you when that thing flies off.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #10
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Double sided taped plastic lips on the lip of a track wheel sounds like a great idea.... Have you ever actually been on the track? I would say there is a 95%+ chance that crap is going to fall off once things heat up and you corner hard. Imagine the bead of the hot tire deflecting against the bead of the wheel in a hard corner.

Sorry I sound like a jerk but this seems like a bad idea that will not only impact you, but also the poor guy following you when that thing flies off.
I can see a red strip caked onto someones front bumper

Maybe the adhesive is higher heat rated? I could be wrong, though, but for 50 bucks, they better last forever.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #11
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I can see a red strip caked onto someones front bumper

Maybe the adhesive is higher heat rated? I could be wrong, though, but for 50 bucks, they better last forever.
I use high temp metallic tape over my wheel weights to prevent them from falling off on the track. I'm not optimistic about these rim strips.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #12
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I use high temp metallic tape over my wheel weights to prevent them from falling off on the track. I'm not optimistic about these rim strips.
Looking at the inside, it just looks like 3M double sided tape. I wonder what they're rated for heat-wise.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #13
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Really? And this is why I asked if anyone has tried them. I organize and sponsor track events so I'm very aware of the dangers and risk on the track. Again, the thought of this was not for wheel protection.....it's more aesthetics. It looked easier to apply than vinyl tape. Maybe someone has tried them and had good results. So don't be so sure they'll just fly off. I've seen things that were supposed to be bolted to the car fly off.........Phil
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #14
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Really? And this is why I asked if anyone has tried them. I organize and sponsor track events so I'm very aware of the dangers and risk on the track. Again, the thought of this was not for wheel protection.....it's more aesthetics. It looked easier to apply than vinyl tape. Maybe someone has tried them and had good results. So don't be so sure they'll just fly off. I've seen things that were supposed to be bolted to the car fly off.........Phil
Vinyl tape isn't bad. The hard part is lining it up so it doesn't look "squiggly" and there's consistency around the wheel bead. I bet it's cheaper, too

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 02:21 PM   #15
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ok. Go for it. I'm surprised that you would consider these with your background. Whether or not they would be for wheel protection seems immaterial to me.

Quote:
I've seen things that were supposed to be bolted to the car fly off......
Exactly my point.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 02:27 PM   #16
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok. Go for it. I'm surprised that you would consider these with your background. Whether or not they would be for wheel protection seems immaterial to me.
Slicer, from a safety standpoint I understand your position. But no one has said they're unsafe yet. Think about all of the front lips that are "taped" on front bumpers. That is definitely more of a hazard considering the direct down force put on them during a lap or two.........Phil
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #17
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Slicer, from a safety standpoint I understand your position. But no one has said they're unsafe yet. Think about all of the front lips that are "taped" on front bumpers. That is definitely more of a hazard considering the direct down force put on them during a lap or two.........Phil
I actually think that double sided tape attaching two large and flat surfaces - both of which have clean and smooth surfaces ideal for tape success - is pretty stable (aka a lip and bumper).

My skepticism is based on the following: A wheel and tire in track use gets very hot, I would expect it would be subject to far more force (both rotational and lateral load from tire bead/sidewall pressing against it), plus a curved, not flat, mounting surface. That's just my educated opinion.... I have obviously not tested these.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 12-14-2014 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #18
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Vhb 3m tape can pull trains. If the surface is prepped properly, 3m will hold anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 10:53 AM   #19
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
Vhb 3m tape can pull trains. If the surface is prepped properly, 3m will hold anything.
That's awesome. I wonder if that's what they used on myth busters to lift a car.

Appreciate 0