BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

03-27-2021, 02:51 AM   #1
rod.bearings
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Wanted to start a new thread about the touch screen headunit. The unit retains the 8.8" but ended up being touch and the screen is very high quality while being the same resolution. This is CarPlay/android auto only, there is no android software. I chose this cause the android units seem glitchy and slow after awhile.

From my research Wakaa, andream, aiocoai, tlpx auto. I just bought the cheapest one shipped on AliExpress.

I don't use the touch screen much but the oem knob still works. One thing to note when you get it is you have to change the cic resolution in the settings or it's off for the cic. Passcode for more settings is 1368.

I have had the previous boxes from kremer and carsara and I'd say it's pretty much the same except for the nicer screen. One thing annoying is menu button goes back to the aftermarket headunit UI instead of being a "home button" like the boxes. The music stops playing when you go back to factory cic also. Other than that sound quality, mic quality and overall speed of the unit is good.

There's still a few other settings and sd card slots but I have not played around with yet. Also the reverse camera is prob the best I've seen with those sensor squares.
Attached Images

PACarGuy679.00
      03-28-2021, 05:39 PM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I like the Andream I put in my 08 E90 M3, but the glare is really bad on sunny days. I added an anti glare screen protector and that made the screen useable under bright conditions, but not as good as I wound like. In darker conditions or night, it’s great.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 05:08 PM   #3
rod.bearings
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I like the Andream I put in my 08 E90 M3, but the glare is really bad on sunny days. I added an anti glare screen protector and that made the screen useable under bright conditions, but not as good as I wound like. In darker conditions or night, it’s great.
Yea I put my brightness to max, I think I'll put a screen protector too. Where did you get yours? I was gonna cut a laptop antiglare one
      03-30-2021, 03:23 PM   #4
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

I cut a laptop or tablet anti glare screen.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2021, 09:37 AM   #5
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
I went to the AVIN website and ordered 3 for $16.99 plus shipping. They’re specifically made for the 8.8 screen, anti glare and fit very well.

https://avinusa.com/8-8-anti-glare-t...6-e67-e68.html
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 01:03 PM   #6
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazi3azn View Post
Wanted to start a new thread about the touch screen headunit. The unit retains the 8.8" but ended up being touch and the screen is very high quality while being the same resolution. This is CarPlay/android auto only, there is no android software. I chose this cause the android units seem glitchy and slow after awhile.

From my research Wakaa, andream, aiocoai, tlpx auto. I just bought the cheapest one shipped on AliExpress.

I don't use the touch screen much but the oem knob still works. One thing to note when you get it is you have to change the cic resolution in the settings or it's off for the cic. Passcode for more settings is 1368.

I have had the previous boxes from kremer and carsara and I'd say it's pretty much the same except for the nicer screen. One thing annoying is menu button goes back to the aftermarket headunit UI instead of being a "home button" like the boxes. The music stops playing when you go back to factory cic also. Other than that sound quality, mic quality and overall speed of the unit is good.

There's still a few other settings and sd card slots but I have not played around with yet. Also the reverse camera is prob the best I've seen with those sensor squares.
This looks very nice.

Do you have more info, on the complete installation kit, including back-up camera?

Is it basically the same as the MMI/Android/Camera installation, or does this skip the MMI box?

TIA
      04-13-2021, 12:15 PM   #7
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
This looks very nice.

Do you have more info, on the complete installation kit, including back-up camera?

Is it basically the same as the MMI/Android/Camera installation, or does this skip the MMI box?

TIA
Yes, I believe it is basically like MMI but a bit easier since there's no intermediate unit. Comes with a plug and play wire harness, USB cable for Android Auto/CarPlay (if you plug in your iPhone) and the back-up camera. Supposedly plug and play and will connect to your iPhone over bluetooth. Read somewhere if you plug it into the USB cable you then have to keep plugging it in and the wireless bluetooth won't set-up automatically. Youtube has some video of install and use/setup but not completely for an M3 with CCC. Waiting for the audio installer to come over and put it in. I'll film it and post. My concern was to get something that's complete plug and play without cutting wires or running anything into center console. Got mine at Andream for $285, extra $10 for camera, free shipping, arrived in a week. It just adds carPlay and keeps your original unit except for monitor. This monitor is better resolution than original CCC system but according to others, requires antiglare screen protector for better use. See my previous post for antiglare screen protector.

Last edited by georgebmwM3; 04-13-2021 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 09:54 AM   #8
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebmwM3 View Post
Yes, I believe it is basically like MMI but a bit easier since there's no intermediate unit. Comes with a plug and play wire harness, USB cable for Android Auto/CarPlay (if you plug in your iPhone) and the back-up camera. Supposedly plug and play and will connect to your iPhone over bluetooth. Read somewhere if you plug it into the USB cable you then have to keep plugging it in and the wireless bluetooth won't set-up automatically. Youtube has some video of install and use/setup but not completely for an M3 with CCC. Waiting for the audio installer to come over and put it in. I'll film it and post. My concern was to get something that's complete plug and play without cutting wires or running anything into center console. Got mine at Andream for $285, extra $10 for camera, free shipping, arrived in a week. It just adds carPlay and keeps your original unit except for monitor. This monitor is better resolution than original CCC system but according to others, requires antiglare screen protector for better use. See my previous post for antiglare screen protector.
$10 for the camera? Eeek....that sounds a bit too cheap.

If this achieves Carplay/Android Auto, and back-up camera, without the additional interface box, I will definitely be very interested.

Higher resolution screen is a bonus, and fitting an anti-glare covering doesn't seem too much of an issue to me.

I do have my ipod plugged into the centre console USB port for music, and would want to connect my Samsung phone wirelessly - more for the Waze functionality than music, and of course keeping BT phone functionality.

If all this is achievable, I am in!
      04-14-2021, 06:49 PM   #9
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
$10 for the camera? Eeek....that sounds a bit too cheap.

If this achieves Carplay/Android Auto, and back-up camera, without the additional interface box, I will definitely be very interested.

Higher resolution screen is a bonus, and fitting an anti-glare covering doesn't seem too much of an issue to me.

I do have my ipod plugged into the centre console USB port for music, and would want to connect my Samsung phone wirelessly - more for the Waze functionality than music, and of course keeping BT phone functionality.

If all this is achievable, I am in!
I don't think the AndroidAuto will work via Bluetooth, only CarPlay does. I think the USB in the center console will still work to charge a phone. I'll know more after my install.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2021, 07:11 PM   #10
Jerezblack.m3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

I heard somewhere that you can use optic cable instead of aux to connect the audio from the headunit to the car. Is this true? Id prob do this plus the induktiv wireless charger together
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 10:50 AM   #11
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
Unfortunately, I was unable to get the unit to work as expected. I did get it running but had no sound. I also had difficulty with the wires and putting the head unit back in place. I did eventually find out that the audio did work when I used the AUX plug in center console. If anyone out there knows how to code a CCC system for the head unit to work without running a wire to the center console, I would greatly appreciate it. The unit did turn on and it seems the Bluetooth and WiFi worked. When I connected CarPlay the graphics seemed to work but no sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 11:08 AM   #12
rod.bearings
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerezblack.m3 View Post
I heard somewhere that you can use optic cable instead of aux to connect the audio from the headunit to the car. Is this true? Id prob do this plus the induktiv wireless charger together
Quote:
Unfortunately, I was unable to get the unit to work as expected. I did get it running but had no sound. I also had difficulty with the wires and putting the head unit back in place. I did eventually find out that the audio did work when I used the AUX plug in center console. If anyone out there knows how to code a CCC system for the head unit to work without running a wire to the center console, I would greatly appreciate it. The unit did turn on and it seems the Bluetooth and WiFi worked. When I connected CarPlay the graphics seemed to work but no sound.

Yes you have to code off USB audio if you have it. I believe ccc without it should work without the aux cable
      04-19-2021, 01:07 PM   #13
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes you have to code off USB audio if you have it. I believe ccc without it should work without the aux cable
Thank you for your help! How do you “code off USB” so I don’t need to run a cable? How did you tuck the wires so that the head unit could fit back in the space? I couldn’t really find a good way because it kept hitting the adapter for the harness.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 07:00 PM   #14
rod.bearings
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for your help! How do you "code off USB" so I don't need to run a cable? How did you tuck the wires so that the head unit could fit back in the space? I couldn't really find a good way because it kept hitting the adapter for the harness.
I got my local coder to do it. I'm not sure exactly what he did but a lot of guys know in the CarPlay box thread.

To tuck all the wires, I loosened the bracket around the cic. I think there was was 4 screws holding it and two 8mm at the bottom. Put the quad lock behind the right side of the bracket then tightened it all back up.
      04-19-2021, 07:47 PM   #15
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
Quote:
I got my local coder to do it. I'm not sure exactly what he did but a lot of guys know in the CarPlay box thread.

To tuck all the wires, I loosened the bracket around the cic. I think there was was 4 screws holding it and two 8mm at the bottom. Put the quad lock behind the right side of the bracket then tightened it all back up.
Thank you. This has been helpful.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 06:57 PM   #16
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Any tips on routing the harness that comes with the Andream unit up to the screen?

Finally got a replacement unit and gonna install it soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 07:04 PM   #17
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
I was unable to fully install. I will find a professional installer to help me. I'll do my best to film it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 09:38 PM   #18
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Wiring harness is a super tight fit. Put a towel down so the metal box does not scratch the console leather. I did not figure out any secrets that made it easy. Another 2 inches of harness would have been nice along with more space to tuck it away.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 09:39 PM   #19
SGM_E90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Sparkling Graphite E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Any tips on routing the harness that comes with the Andream unit up to the screen?

Finally got a replacement unit and gonna install it soon.
I had to remove the head unit frame and cut off a corner to make the harness fit. I have the Avin unit with a car play dongle from AliExpress. Works fine
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-21-2021, 03:08 AM   #20
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
OP do you have any control over carplay using the iDrive controller, or is it touchscreen only? I love CarPlay in my M3, and having touch would be handy, but I’m not sure I’d want to totally give up iDrive control of it.

Edit: also any chance of sharing a link?

Last edited by MJBO; 04-21-2021 at 03:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 06:48 PM   #21
SGM_E90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Sparkling Graphite E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
OP do you have any control over carplay using the iDrive controller, or is it touchscreen only? I love CarPlay in my M3, and having touch would be handy, but I’m not sure I’d want to totally give up iDrive control of it.

Edit: also any chance of sharing a link?
My controller works with the dongle
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 08:13 PM   #22
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Andream CCC works with touch screen and with original idrive controller.
Appreciate 0