BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

07-18-2019, 03:19 PM   #1
GoodTime
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3; 1991 BMW 318is

Driveline vibration taking off from stop?

Hey guys!

Did a search and didn't see much like this, and just looking for a place to start.

I have a 2008 M3 with ~109k miles, 6MT. Recently, I've been experiencing a small vibration when taking off from a stop. It feels kinda like running over the rumble strips on the side of a highway, though not nearly as severe. You can, however, feel it through the whole car (pedals, steering wheel, seat, etc). No noise really accompanies it, you just feel the shudder / vibration.

This vibration is never obvious or noticeable once you're moving, just around 3k RPM when taking off abruptly from a dead stop. Again, nothing severe and it feels like something just beginning to wear out, but annoying as the rest of the car feels excellent. It doesn't affect your ability to control the car or bog the car down, just presents a slight shudder through the chassis.

I have within the last 1,000 miles replaced my motor mounts, tires, plugs, and coils, so it's PROBABLY none of those things, but I'm not sure what other maintenance has or hasn't been done since I have no records for the car.

Anybody experienced anything similar or have somewhere to start?

Thanks!

Last edited by GoodTime; 07-18-2019 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 03:43 PM   #2
Makaveli7
Enthusiast
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Jerez Black

to start with the easy things

1- check the Guibo, and the driveshaft center bearing
2- Swivel joint of the driveshaft that connects to the diff

if the above are intact you will have to start digging deeper (maybe try revving to 1500 2000 rpms while standing still on neutral, if you do feel something than the above would be good as they are moving parts)

1- Since you feel it in the pedals and only upon take offf, i would say this sounds like a flywheel issue, if it lost balance, or have an uneven surface.
2- vibration pulley, but that would lead to a vibration on higher RPMs as well.

I have been facing vibrations on my DCT and I think im taking the plunge to change the flywheel soon.

'08 JB E92 m3 // CCB Brakes // ESS 625 //

https://www.instagram.com/makaveli777/
Appreciate 3
tlrid3r513.50
SAMM3Y3085.00
      07-18-2019, 04:33 PM   #3
GoodTime
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli7 View Post
to start with the easy things

1- check the Guibo, and the driveshaft center bearing
2- Swivel joint of the driveshaft that connects to the diff

if the above are intact you will have to start digging deeper (maybe try revving to 1500 2000 rpms while standing still on neutral, if you do feel something than the above would be good as they are moving parts)

1- Since you feel it in the pedals and only upon take offf, i would say this sounds like a flywheel issue, if it lost balance, or have an uneven surface.
2- vibration pulley, but that would lead to a vibration on higher RPMs as well.

I have been facing vibrations on my DCT and I think im taking the plunge to change the flywheel soon.
Thanks! Very well could be guibo. I had to replace that on my E36, but I replaced it along with many other parts so who knows what fixed what, haha. Wasn't sure how failure-prone they were on the E92s
Appreciate 1
Makaveli7116.50
      10-07-2019, 08:44 AM   #4
GoodTime
Private
Rep

Update here:

I think Makaveli7 is onto something with the flywheel issue.

At least on a visual inspection and getting under the car and shaking everything, the driveshaft and all rear suspension components are free from any play or visible deterioration.

I'm at 109k on the original clutch, so I'm likely due for that soon and will do the flywheel at the same time.

Wish it was something easier to get to, but with no other obvious causes and no presentation of the issue at speed, that seems the most likely now.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 11:32 AM   #5
Ra_
EuroCar Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY08 E90 M3 JB

Please keep us posted! I'm experiencing something similar. Very noticeable at idle to about 1k. And gone once I get going.
      10-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #6
GoodTime
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra_ View Post
Please keep us posted! I'm experiencing something similar. Very noticeable at idle to about 1k. And gone once I get going.
Will do! I'll likely replace tires and do another alignment / balance before I do my clutch, so if that solves it then awesome, but I think if the issue was in the wheels / tires I'd notice it in other gears and at speed.

I don't feel any vibration at idle, but like yours mine is completely gone once I'm in gear and moving.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 08:09 AM   #7
BRNDNSLVRA
奈良シカマル
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Gray E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTime View Post
Will do! I'll likely replace tires and do another alignment / balance before I do my clutch, so if that solves it then awesome, but I think if the issue was in the wheels / tires I'd notice it in other gears and at speed.

I don't feel any vibration at idle, but like yours mine is completely gone once I'm in gear and moving.
Had a similar thing. I got new front tires and it rolls off smoothly now. I can feel it again now. It's not as bad as it used to be. But my right front is slightly more cambered than the left for whatever reason.

http://954mm.com

IG: @954MM/@954M3
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2019, 11:52 AM   #8
Ra_
EuroCar Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTime View Post

Yeah for me it's very noticeable when I'm sitting at a stop. Only way I can describe it is as if the engine is in direct contact with the chassis, or the header/cat/exhaust is in contact with the chassis.
      10-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #9
Ra_
EuroCar Noob
United_States
Rep

So I had to jack the front of my car up and remove both front wheels to troubleshoot something...after a quick drive this morning, the vibration is noticeably gone. I'm starting to think its my motor mounts.
      10-16-2019, 12:25 PM   #10
GoodTime
Private
Rep

Interesting. My motor mounts have ~500 miles on them so I imagine I can eliminate those as a source.

I did recently have my wheels / tires balanced, which helped a bit, but it certainly didn't eliminate the issue.

I'm still leaning towards flywheel, but as the clutch feels solid and I don't put a ton of miles on the car, who knows how long it will be before I crack that open and tackle that job, haha
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 08:17 PM   #11
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep
Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
The shudder from take-off is typically indication of center-bearing wear/degradation in the drive-shaft. Of course while replacing that it would be good use of time to replace the guibo and reset service timers for the both 🙂
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 09:52 AM   #12
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I experienced the same issue and just got started on the clutch and flywheel replacement. (Not finished yet)
I did the same thing inspected everything.
The s65 depends a lot on the dual mass for balancing and if the dual mass spring are shoot it loose its balancing capabilities.

Good luck
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 03:19 PM   #13
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep
Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrid3r View Post
I experienced the same issue and just got started on the clutch and flywheel replacement. (Not finished yet)
The s65 depends a lot on the dual mass for balancing and if the dual mass spring are shoot it loose its balancing capabilities.

Good luck
Dual mass flywheel is a component of the standard transmission driveline, not so on DCT-equipped vehicles, iirc. There is no dependence on a specific flywheel for engine operation but rather dual mass units allow for a smoother engagement experience for a larger portion of the population (read: greater range of skill can operate more easily.) 🙂

Do keep us posted with how your issues are sorted out!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 07:00 PM   #14
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterile stork View Post
Quote:

Good luck
Dual mass flywheel is a component of the standard transmission driveline, not so on DCT-equipped vehicles, iirc. There is no dependence on a specific flywheel for engine operation but rather dual mass units allow for a smoother engagement experience for a larger portion of the population (read: greater range of skill can operate more easily.) 🙂

Do keep us posted with how your issues are sorted out!

I could be wrong but all research shows that the dual mass is to improve engine harmonics.

It also acting as a balancer.

Read up a bit on it.
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 07:50 AM   #15
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:

Good luck
Hi! Did it work?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 08:20 AM   #16
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Does it only happen while you are releasing the clutch? Then once fully engaged it goes away? If so, it's the clutch/flywheel. It's call clutch judder.

SAE description:
"Judder is a phenomenon wherein friction induced torsional vibrations are generated in the driveline because of sliding contact between clutch and flywheel, during engagement. These resulting oscillations inherit the first resonance frequency of the driveline."

Basically the flywheel/clutch engagement is no longer smooth, causing it to judder. Sometimes caused my oil or some type of fluid on the surface or it could just be wear on the flywheel causing it. Replacing the clutch/flywheel will fix that issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 10:29 AM   #17
GoodTime
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Does it only happen while you are releasing the clutch? Then once fully engaged it goes away? If so, it's the clutch/flywheel. It's call clutch judder.

SAE description:
"Judder is a phenomenon wherein friction induced torsional vibrations are generated in the driveline because of sliding contact between clutch and flywheel, during engagement. These resulting oscillations inherit the first resonance frequency of the driveline."

Basically the flywheel/clutch engagement is no longer smooth, causing it to judder. Sometimes caused my oil or some type of fluid on the surface or it could just be wear on the flywheel causing it. Replacing the clutch/flywheel will fix that issue.
It appears to happen (for me at least) even with the clutch fully engaged. I can very slow engage the clutch, be fully in gear creeping forward for any amount of time (say in a slow traffic scenario), then once I start to accelerate and get into the ~3k RPM range, the vibration will present for a few hundred revs, then be gone again.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 11:53 AM   #18
Prelin
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92, 335i. F82, M4

Hi @goodtime, we’re you able to ever solve this? I’m experiencing the exact same
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 11:50 AM   #19
TRM04
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prelin View Post
Hi @goodtime, we’re you able to ever solve this? I’m experiencing the exact same
Is it possible to feel this vibration on a DCT? Replaced engine and trans mounts but feel it between 1500-2000/2500 rpms. In park or in a gear while accelerating. 86k miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 08:04 PM   #20
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I'd love any info regarding a fix. I have this vibration in 1st gear with a heavy throttle application. Normal pull off and there is no vibration but if I give it some juice it vibrates the center of the car. I've replaced the following with no effect on the vibration…..
1-Guibo and all hardware.
2-new center bearing.
3-New driveshaft pilot bearing.
*marked splines prior to avoid unbalancing the driveshaft.
4-Engine mounts.
5-Trans mounts.
6-had rims checked for bends, cracks and balance.
*No issues.
7-Harmonic balancer.
8-Dual mass flywheel (DCT)
9-Diff fluid.
10-Trans re seal w/new fluid.

9k deep and still not fixed. I really suspect the driveshaft still but the dealer says it's good. Any experience would be greatly appreciated.
      09-02-2022, 12:43 AM   #21
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
I'd love any info regarding a fix. I have this vibration in 1st gear with a heavy throttle application. Normal pull off and there is no vibration but if I give it some juice it vibrates the center of the car. I've replaced the following with no effect on the vibration…..
1-Guibo and all hardware.
2-new center bearing.
3-New driveshaft pilot bearing.
*marked splines prior to avoid unbalancing the driveshaft.
4-Engine mounts.
5-Trans mounts.
6-had rims checked for bends, cracks and balance.
*No issues.
7-Harmonic balancer.
8-Dual mass flywheel (DCT)
9-Diff fluid.
10-Trans re seal w/new fluid.

9k deep and still not fixed. I really suspect the driveshaft still but the dealer says it's good. Any experience would be greatly appreciated.
It was the constant velocity joint in my case. The whole driveshaft was done as a result.
      09-02-2022, 02:46 AM   #22
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
It was the constant velocity joint in my case. The whole driveshaft was done as a result.
Thanks for update!

Did you have a damage on the drive shaft because of the cv joint, is that what I you said?
Appreciate 0