BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-09-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
patrick_mro
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 6 speed Manual

Buying a e92 M3 with 105k...

Hi M3Post, this is my first thread on here, I have many on bfc. I have had a couple e36 M3's over the years and in the process of searching for a clean e46 I stumbled upon this alpine white 2009 M3 coupe with dct. I made my way to the dealer to check the car out and it was super clean showed very little wear especially considering the mileage/ age. The only thing that did concern me was the car idled rough it bounced around from 750 then dipped down to 550 rpms for a second. I assume the car had not been started for a couple days, anyways after 3-4 minutes the car shut off. Not sure if this is because the key proximity (dealer went into office with key) exceeded its limit, or if this car is just a sick puppy. Despite that, the car is overall very clean and I negotiated a deal with the dealer, and would like to hear some input from more knowledgeable people regarding whether to buy this car or keep the search going. Thanks!
here is a link: http://www.msportmotors.net/2009_BMW..._261093545.veh
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 11:19 PM   #2
Biggus Dickus
Private
Rep
Drives: 09' E92 M3 - 6MT, Jerez Black

Obviously depends on the price but that engine doesn't seem to be in great shape. The car shouldn't just shut off even if the key is taken some distance away.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 11:50 PM   #3
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

I would honestly suggest before you consider buying it, to get yourself a tool we all use here, called Carly ( former BMWhat ) It has an VIN check and pre owner driving habbit check aswell as coding and CEL readout & erasing.
Easy & super fast handling as the OBD2 adapter gets operated by your smartphone.

Please be careful with considering an rough running ///M, specially when you're on a budget!

Here's all money saving info you need to know to be 100% prepared as an future m ///M 3 E9x owner.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1245204

Last edited by vsix; 04-09-2016 at 11:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 06:47 AM   #4
greenflash
United_States
Rep
Drives: hunting

Smile

Run, as fast as you can.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 07:09 AM   #5
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_mro View Post
anyways after 3-4 minutes the car shut off. Not sure if this is because the key proximity (dealer went into office with key) exceeded its limit, or if this car is just a sick puppy.
No car will ever shut off on its own without driver intervention, unless it ran out of gas, OR something seriously wrong with it. So to answer your question, something is wrong with it.

No such thing as key proximity unless it is equipped with comfort access. I walk away from my car into my house or a store with the ignition on (with passenger/s inside) and it's still running when I come back. So no, it is not that either.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2016, 07:18 AM   #6
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenflash
Run, as fast as you can.
:

This. I have comfort access on my car and I can walk halfway across the world away from my car with the key in my pocket locking the doors and all without it turning off. Sounds like it might have a couple of hidden issues to it
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 01:26 AM   #7
patrick_mro
Private
Rep

I just left a non-refundable deposit and was going to pick the car up next week. I looked into the carfax and it was fully serviced at a BMW dealership just a month ago.. What could cause the car to just shut off at idle?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 07:32 AM   #8
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

Just a heads up OP, normally buying a car with 100k+ miles isn't unreasonable....but buying one of these takes way more consideration. I hope you have deep pockets, because repairs for this vehicle (especially on of that car's mileage) are still repairs on a what-once-was 70k vehicle. Just because it was serviced at a BMW dealership doesn't mean crap, good luck and let us know how it goes!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 01:48 PM   #9
MSteve5036
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08/99 M3s

never trust a car with the temp set to odd numbers
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 03:30 PM   #10
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Car shutting down by itself is quite questionable... and you put a NON-REFUNDABLE deposit of how much? You need to do more research and protect yourself when buying a M3 for sure, and expect the usual things to go wrong potentially (Throttle body Actuators, Rod Bearing Changes [for peace of mind], etc.)

Personally, i will actually steer clear. Good Luck!
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 03:35 PM   #11
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaede
Car shutting down by itself is quite questionable... and you put a NON-REFUNDABLE deposit of how much? You need to do more research and protect yourself when buying a M3 for sure, and expect the usual things to go wrong potentially (Throttle body Actuators, Rod Bearing Changes [for peace of mind], etc.)

This. Why would u put a down payment on it?? if it's turning off on its own brother I'm going to go out on a limb and say that OBVIOUSLY something is wrong with the car. I wish u luck op
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 11:39 PM   #12
patrick_mro
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaede View Post

I put the deposit down because I got a really good deal on the car, but it's a couple hours from me and I wasn't able to finish up paperwork while I was there. I am not worried about the actual deposit since if the car does turn out to be a POS when I go to pick it up in a couple days, I can add that money towards another car from the dealership, they had a 2008 M3 coupe with a little lower mileage 95k, I test drove that car and did not experience any issues with it, I just did not like the color, Melbourne red.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 12:14 AM   #13
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

See if it repeats the problem, if you're getting a very good deal you shouldn't worry too much. Any car can go bad honestly.

Change the rod bearings asap though.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 07:46 AM   #14
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsix View Post
I would honestly suggest before you consider buying it, to get yourself a tool we all use here, called Carly ( former BMWhat ) It has an VIN check and pre owner driving habbit check aswell as coding and CEL readout & erasing.
Easy & super fast handling as the OBD2 adapter gets operated by your smartphone.

Please be careful with considering an rough running ///M, specially when you're on a budget!

Here's all money saving info you need to know to be 100% prepared as an future m ///M 3 E9x owner.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1245204
When you say you can check previous owners' driving habits, what do you mean by this? All I can see is the average speed and km on various modules in the used car check feature. Hardly useful info unless all you're trying to see is whether the odometer has been tampered with.
      04-14-2016, 07:51 AM   #15
cmo_93
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

I looked at a CPO one that did this when we let it idle and talked about it.

My research said it was the idle control valve or some other valve, that I can't remember now. Its a cheap fix.

It could be that...or it could be hot garbage.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 09:59 AM   #16
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep
Drives: women wild

Find out of the IACV, TVA and rod bearings have been done.

If not, that's gonna cost you like $5,000-$7,000 not to mention other wear parts that may not have been serviced...
Radiator
Water pump
Thermostat
Belts
Etc

I bought a used one with 101,000 on it and spent $3500 replacing everything above at $0 in labor because I did it myself.

I also had an independent third party do a full PPI and a compression test on the motor.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 10:19 AM   #17
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Originally Posted by nholmes View Post
Find out of the IACV, TVA and rod bearings have been done.

If not, that's gonna cost you like $5,000-$7,000 not to mention other wear parts that may not have been serviced...
Radiator
Water pump
Thermostat
Belts
Etc

I bought a used one with 101,000 on it and spent $3500 replacing everything above at $0 in labor because I did it myself.

I also had an independent third party do a full PPI and a compression test on the motor.

Good luck!
Outside of the forums, rod bearings are not considered a routine maintenance item on these cars. Unless the previous owner happened to be a member on here or had a rod bearing failure, it is highly unlikely the bearings have ever been replaced. Probably worth doing for peace of mind though. The other stuff you mentioned may have been replaced at one point or another and would be worth looking for in the records.

OP, how much are you getting the car for? If it's anywhere near the $27k asking price I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole. It would have to be below $25k to be a "good deal." Maybe $23-24k? I would expect to put $3-5k into it to cover some of the things mentioned above. Maybe more if it needs things like tires and brakes or if you will be paying for labor. Do you have any extended warranty options at this mileage?

Last edited by Iyzmi; 04-14-2016 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 01:59 PM   #18
azndrunk74
Major
Rep
Drives: Frozen Black F10 M5

You're buying a car that isn't running properly right off the bat. Why would you do that?
2014 Frozen Black F10 M5 | Agency Power HFC Downpipes | Custom Open Flash Stage 2 Tune | KW HAS kit | 3D Design Lip | 3D Design Skirts | 3D Design Spoiler | IND Front & Rear Reflectors | IND M5 Badge | M Performance Steering Wheel | M Performance CF Shift Knob | Pedal Haus Pedals & Paddles | Turner Exhaust |
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2016, 02:14 PM   #19
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndrunk74 View Post
You're buying a car that isn't running properly right off the bat. Why would you do that?
Yeah, there's that.

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #20
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndrunk74
Lol that's what I'm trying to figure out. Op must have gotten the car for 10 grand that he's willing to jump into a potential time bomb willingly.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 04:43 PM   #21
patrick_mro
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndrunk74 View Post
The rest of the time the car was running fine, that was just what happened the first time the car was started in a days if not weeks. The car is cosmetically in perfect condition and had a bunch of recent maintenance, not sure of the specifics but I will call the dealership it was serviced at and ask. I have already ordered a Blackstone oil analysis kit and will send it a sample in as soon as it arrives, and that should reveal any potentially serious issues regarding the motors health. Also if when I go to pick the car up and its running like shit I obviously won't buy it, or have the dealer take care of it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 04:50 PM   #22
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_mro View Post
I have already ordered a Blackstone oil analysis kit and will send it a sample in as soon as it arrives, and that should reveal any potentially serious issues regarding the motors health..
Unless they just changed the oil...

Also, Blackstone recommends you warm up the oil first FYI.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0