BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-17-2010, 03:33 AM   #1
BOOSTFTW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 335i e36 m3

coldsores/herpes

Hey guys,

This is a serious post. I shared a drink with my friend about a week to 2 weeks ago. At the time we were rushing to get in the club so we just pre-gamed and drank straight from the bottle, with me taking the last swig right after my friend, who has major outbreaks (coldsores) every 2 weeks. At the time I totally forgot about the fact that he has this problem, and being the idiot that I was, I drank from the bottle without thinking about it (I had an open cut on my lip too). Currently, I am having coldsore outbreaks on my outer lip, I am fuckin' paranoid right now. I read somewhere that this Type 1 virus may transmit to other parts of the body, specifically the genital area. Can I give myself genital herpes (I wash my face prior to washing my body in the shower)? Sorry if this was poorly written, its 1:30 in the morning and I'm worrying like crazy. Any input would be much interested. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 03:41 AM   #2
YellowFinger
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

just dont suck your own dick and you will be fine..

on a more serious note, usually the Type 1 virus is also known as HPV Virus, the virus, in theory is transmittable to other body parts but it is heavily depended on the type of Herpes virus you have. I recommend you see a doc to find out.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 03:50 AM   #3
BOOSTFTW
Enlisted Member
Rep

man...being in college sucks. you're exposed to a countless number of diseases. I even caught the swine flu last year since everyone at my university had it.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 03:55 AM   #4
YellowFinger
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

i'm in Hong Kong and didn't even catch the swine..

however when i was in san diego for college.. I did caught something quite wicked as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 04:33 AM   #5
Socale92
DCT Test Pilot
Rep
Drives: ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowFinger View Post
just dont suck your own dick and you will be fine..

on a more serious note, usually the Type 1 virus is also known as HPV Virus, the virus, in theory is transmittable to other body parts but it is heavily depended on the type of Herpes virus you have. I recommend you see a doc to find out.
hpv and herpes are two completely different things.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
addy85
Got beef?
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Fucking disgusting

Special Thanks to AU335
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
headlee103
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [10.00]
You should be fine, dont worry about it... That is actually what brings herpes out alot, being stressed out and such.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

inb4 jaykay
      05-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #9
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Well... you want the real answer?

HSV1 (herpes simplex virus 1) is considered to be a above the belt infection but can also occur below the belt but in a less mild form than HSV2.

Even when your friend doesn't have outbreaks hes still massively shedding viruses. If he has constant recrudescence its likely that he has straight up HSV1. Not your run of the mill random cold sore. The virus is likely latent within him and he has outbreaks often. He should be on antivirals.

The worse the initial outbreak the worse they tend to be in the future while a mild initial outbreak, not so much.

On the other hand, you can give your partner herpes while being in contact with her. Above the belt or below the belt. You can then have her transmit this back to you, above or below the belt.

Remember, just because you dont have sores doesn't mean you cant spread it. Its estimated that nearly 80% of herpes infections occur when there are no visible signs of an outbreak due to whats known as virus shedding.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #10
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

my above post was seconds before jaykays

man im good
      05-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #11
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Lucky. I almost didn't add in the part about how hes going to give it to people when he doesn't have outbreaks.

OP, acyclovir. Antivirals. Talk to your Doc about getting on them if this is a recurring problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 01:00 AM   #12
BOOSTFTW
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Well... you want the real answer?

HSV1 (herpes simplex virus 1) is considered to be a above the belt infection but can also occur below the belt but in a less mild form than HSV2.

Even when your friend doesn't have outbreaks hes still massively shedding viruses. If he has constant recrudescence its likely that he has straight up HSV1. Not your run of the mill random cold sore. The virus is likely latent within him and he has outbreaks often. He should be on antivirals.

The worse the initial outbreak the worse they tend to be in the future while a mild initial outbreak, not so much.

On the other hand, you can give your partner herpes while being in contact with her. Above the belt or below the belt. You can then have her transmit this back to you, above or below the belt.

Remember, just because you dont have sores doesn't mean you cant spread it. Its estimated that nearly 80% of herpes infections occur when there are no visible signs of an outbreak due to whats known as virus shedding.
Thanks, JayKay. So according to your post, basically self inoculation is highly unlikely? As in touching my cold sore then proceed to touch my penis won't do anything? I called an advice nurse but she didn't exactly have an answer so I'm waiting for a response from my doctor.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 01:04 AM   #13
BOOSTFTW
Enlisted Member
Rep

Also, when is it safe to go down on a girl? I don't want to give my partner herpes.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 01:05 AM   #14
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

While its unlikely, I would try your best to not touch your face at all, ever, anyway. But try extra hard to not touch it now. Along with that, wash your hands before you beat it. Anything can happen when the planets align. You may want to get in the habit of washing your hands before peeing. Just be careful.

Like I said, if it becomes a recurrent problem, talk to your doc about a drug regimen.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 01:06 AM   #15
BOOSTFTW
Enlisted Member
Rep

My sex life is ruined, I don't want to worry about things like this. I'm going to kick my friend's ass now.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 01:11 AM   #16
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTFTW View Post
Also, when is it safe to go down on a girl? I don't want to give my partner herpes.
Short answer, never. Basically any time you make out with a girl or go down on a girl, you have the chance of spreading it. You can just as easily spread the virus while there is no lesion.

If its a 1 time cold sore and it never comes back, then you should be fine and chalk it up to stress. You usually get a cold sore when young and become infected with HSV1 which is more of a disease of childhood then a STD.

In all honesty I would go and find out whether you have HSV1 or HSV2. 2 is considered to be the STD. While its generally of genital origin, it can affect the mouth.

If it is recurring, there are multiple drugs to help decrease outbreaks, decrease viral shedding, etc.

Also, HSV1 usually is just latent with you for life, and is kept under wraps by the immune system. Reactivation may never occur and you may be alright. Just be safe.

I'd get tested to be sure, and tell your partner.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 01:33 AM   #17
BOOSTFTW
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Short answer, never. Basically any time you make out with a girl or go down on a girl, you have the chance of spreading it. You can just as easily spread the virus while there is no lesion.

If its a 1 time cold sore and it never comes back, then you should be fine and chalk it up to stress. You usually get a cold sore when young and become infected with HSV1 which is more of a disease of childhood then a STD.

In all honesty I would go and find out whether you have HSV1 or HSV2. 2 is considered to be the STD. While its generally of genital origin, it can affect the mouth.

If it is recurring, there are multiple drugs to help decrease outbreaks, decrease viral shedding, etc.

Also, HSV1 usually is just latent with you for life, and is kept under wraps by the immune system. Reactivation may never occur and you may be alright. Just be safe.

I'd get tested to be sure, and tell your partner.
Thanks for your incredible insight, JayKay. I'm going to get some blood test done tomorrow to stop the speculation.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 01:38 AM   #18
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

I dont know much about the testing side to be honest. It lies latent in neurons. Not sure whether its a blood test or a culture of the sore to determine virus type.

Don't get too down about it. May be something, may be nothing. There are vast amounts of people in the US and around the world who live with it daily and the new drug treatments are huge leaps forward from not long ago. You'll be fine. Dont worry.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 01:39 AM   #19
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Post e36m3 pictures. Now. Please. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 01:43 AM   #20
BOOSTFTW
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I dont know much about the testing side to be honest. It lies latent in neurons. Not sure whether its a blood test or a culture of the sore to determine virus type.

Don't get too down about it. May be something, may be nothing. There are vast amounts of people in the US and around the world who live with it daily and the new drug treatments are huge leaps forward from not long ago. You'll be fine. Dont worry.
Thanks. I would assume they would either require a blood test (to see if antibodies have built up to fight the disease) or perform a cotton swab test of the lesion...But my cold sores are healing already so I'm not sure if the cotton swab would be effective.

Are you a doc or med school student?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 01:45 AM   #21
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Student.

Come to think about it, may be a saliva sample.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 02:09 AM   #22
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

Man that sucks... Fuck your friend for not having the proper restraint... Seriously, if I had herpes or even just a cold sore I would be careful as fuck about it. I get kankersores (sp?) often and I make sure that I tread carefully.
Appreciate 0