BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

12-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 R8

Blew a tire...almost

I posted this in the tire section but I figure I'll add it here since it's higher traffic. Went out for a drive last weekend this occurred at a transition between highway asphalt and bridge concrete at around 80 mph. Felt like I hit a curb but afterwards the car felt just fine. Only the front tire made a thud. The back was quiet, which is a little confusing. There was definitely no pothole there. There was zero indication that anything was wrong.

After the hit I spent another few miles on the highway between 80 and 110 and then on the curvy roads for the remaining 8 or so miles home I was pushing it hard and enjoying the lateral g's.

I about shit when I got it into the garage and saw this:

BMW is not far away but the PSS on Tire Rack are $560 to my door and the dealer wants $150 to install!

Discount tire has them and will have them installed for $612 out the door. So it goes there on Friday. Problem: it's 15 miles away.

Normally I would never drive on such a tire but I already did. Hard. So I figure I can baby it down a long smooth feeder road. Probably not the best idea. Hope I get lucky.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

That's the left front PS2 with 11k miles on it. It was fine before. What I don't know is if it looked just like that after the hit or did it worsen with the subsequent 10 miles of driving. How the thing held together is beyond me.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashman View Post
Yeah I was thinking the same, the scuff marks on the edge of the wheel where it impacted. Either way I would not drive anymore on that tire. Are you actually considering that?..lol
Worst case it blows at 40 mph and I call roadside.

If it was summer I'd probably put the car on stands and pull the wheels. But it's friggin cold out there!!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 12:46 AM   #4
tinman831
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdoc View Post
Worst case it blows at 40 mph and I call roadside.
Worst case it blows at 40 mph and you fall off the roadside.
Just take the entire wheel off and drive it in another car to the tire shop.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

The rear probably felt like half the impact because the mass of the whole car slammed the front rim into that pothole whereas the mass of only the trailing end had to be bumped up onto the higher section of road. Plus rear tires are wider to dissipate that impact. That's my guess on why the front got damaged so much worse. Also, thank god we don't have run flats. If you did, you'd have a bubbled and compromised tire in addition to a crack in your rim that probably would be so bad that it wouldn't hold air. And if you had forged rims the lip would probably have been bent. Good guy tire, taking most of the damage.
(also get an alignment) There is no way your front stayed in line after that hit.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Your life is worth a lot more than the cold...I hope.

Man up, take it off and use another car to take it to the tire shop! Try having these situations where I currently live, -20 Fahrenheit on a daily basis.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

It takes no time to jack car up and take 1 wheel off. I wouldn't chance it. Not to mention if the tires pop, it could do cosmetic damage (maybe?) yet alone driving off the road.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
Your life is worth a lot more than the cold...I hope.

Man up, take it off and use another car to take it to the tire shop! Try having these situations where I currently live, -20 Fahrenheit on a daily basis.
My wife is from Calgary. I went there for Christmas once. Once. We live in the South for a reason.

Was going to jack it up and pull the wheels tonight. My floor jack doesn't fit under my car! Never had that problem before.

I'll sleep on it and look at it in the morning with less tired eyes.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 12:45 AM   #9
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
It takes no time to jack car up and take 1 wheel off. I wouldn't chance it. Not to mention if the tires pop, it could do cosmetic damage (maybe?) yet alone driving off the road.
What a pain in the ass.

Mustang:
Place jack under car at any number of points.
Lift and place jack stands at jack point, subframe connectors, control arms, etc.
Remove nuts and wheels.

M3:
Try to place jack under front of car. Huh, too low.
Jack up rear high enough to get jack stand under front jack point.
Move jack to front jack point and raise to get other front jack stand underneath the car at the specified jack point.
Remove bolts.
Try to remove wheel. Huh, seized to hub.
Put bolts back in loosely.
Whack the shit out of back of wheel with hammer and 2x4.
Remove wheel.

Seriously, that was a lot more of a pain in the ass than it needs to be. Too much plastic and breakable stuff underneath these cars.
Appreciate 0