BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

11-11-2018, 11:00 PM   #1
Dakar Bam
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 Dakar edition

Burnout with traction off

Good day eveyone
When I put traction off and floor it with my DCT the car spins for a bit and then upshifts to 2nd killing the burnout. However with traction off in s mode with the gear shifter on maximum the car will do a burnout as usual. Is this common on all dct m3s.
I would assume the car supposed to car spin all the way until the car gets traction in auto mode with traction off
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 02:06 AM   #2
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Maybe missunderstand the question but if in D mode yes it (should) shift regardless burnout or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 04:24 AM   #3
Dakar Bam
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Maybe missunderstand the question but if in D mode yes it (should) shift regardless burnout or not.
yes but the car does not even spin very long. it barely starts spinning then it upshifts. in s mode if I floor it it spins proper then I must upshift to spin into 2nd that is normal yes but in d mode the car doesnt seem to wanna spin all the way through 1st gear
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 07:40 AM   #4
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Hope this will help with your burnout ...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 9
DrFerry6727.00
Timujin351.50
IanMan384.00
Tewie197.50
IMG1122.00
      11-12-2018, 08:37 AM   #5
cjm41
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Land Rover LR4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar Bam View Post
Quote:
yes but the car does not even spin very long. it barely starts spinning then it upshifts. in s mode if I floor it it spins proper then I must upshift to spin into 2nd that is normal yes but in d mode the car doesnt seem to wanna spin all the way through 1st gear
The car wasn't designed to do burnouts. The back tires breaking loose is an engineering flaw (maybe not a flaw, but too much power for the setup). Traction is the goal, not the other way around. This was taken into consideration with everything from the engine's torque curve to the suspension to the gearing.

Now... you're saying you can spin in S mode but not in D.

This seems unlikely and you'd have to consider variables like surface material, surface temperature, tire temperature, air temperature, etc, between your S mode and D mode attempts at spinning the tires. Just because you can spin your tires on one street doesn't mean you will on the next street over, or the next day when it's 15 degrees warmer outside when you're dealing with a car that was designed to stay planted to the road and ultimately not break loose.
      11-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #6
Dakar Bam
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm41 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
The car wasn't designed to do burnouts. The back tires breaking loose is an engineering flaw (maybe not a flaw, but too much power for the setup). Traction is the goal, not the other way around. This was taken into consideration with everything from the engine's torque curve to the suspension to the gearing.

Now... you're saying you can spin in S mode but not in D.

This seems unlikely and you'd have to consider variables like surface material, surface temperature, tire temperature, air temperature, etc, between your S mode and D mode attempts at spinning the tires. Just because you can spin your tires on one street doesn't mean you will on the next street over, or the next day when it's 15 degrees warmer outside when you're dealing with a car that was designed to stay planted to the road and ultimately not break loose.
yes definitely understand the dct is meant to go straight but it just seems odd in d mode traction traction off and flooring it wont snake the car? a get a a slight tyre slip and upshifts to and normally on any other car it would spin for a while then upshift into 2nd and continue spinning
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #7
fatalelement
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 Space Grey M3 DCT

I'm assuming because D mode isn't really a mode for "performance" driving, since it will freely upshift long before most manual drivers would if you aren't on the throttle hard (depending on the setting), it's the computer detecting the current gear is clearly not optimal for driving conditions and upshifting. It's why you start in second sometimes when it's icy out (many automatics actually start in second) - to prevent this exact thing from happening. It's a feature.

If you're trying to get wheelspin, etc, being in D seems a bit silly.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #8
Dakar Bam
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalelement View Post
I'm assuming because D mode isn't really a mode for "performance" driving, since it will freely upshift long before most manual drivers would if you aren't on the throttle hard (depending on the setting), it's the computer detecting the current gear is clearly not optimal for driving conditions and upshifting. It's why you start in second sometimes when it's icy out (many automatics actually start in second) - to prevent this exact thing from happening. It's a feature.

If you're trying to get wheelspin, etc, being in D seems a bit silly.
that actually makes sense.Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 11:33 AM   #9
scrammer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Ultimate

Quote:
Quote:
I am sure you can get a great deal on a Mustang at the local Ford dealer ...

Current ///M: 2017 M3 Ultimate
Past ///M Cars: E92 M3 ZCP 'CDN LRP' … E85 Z4M-R ... E92 M3 ZCP Frozen ... E90 M3 ... E46 M3 Cab ... E46 M3 ZCP ... E46 M3
Appreciate 3
      11-15-2018, 12:20 PM   #10
Dakar Bam
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrammer View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I am sure you can get a great deal on a Mustang at the local Ford dealer ...
lol oh come on. who does not like a good burnout.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 01:19 PM   #11
cjm41
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Land Rover LR4  [0.00]
Quote:
lol oh come on. who does not like a good burnout.
Everyone does. That's what rental cars are for. I'd rather the race car I own be crazy glued to the pavement
Mvy539.50
      11-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #12
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E85 Z4 / 2013 E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm41 View Post
Everyone does. That's what rental cars are for. I'd rather the race car I own be crazy glued to the pavement
Yeah, have to agree here. I'd rather not have the tires break lose when driving regardless of how 'cool' it sounds/looks/whatever.

I get it, a fun burnout is fun, but throw some slicks on it or some balding tires if you really want to do that.
Appreciate 1
cjm41752.50
      11-16-2018, 11:37 AM   #13
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

I just spent 900 getting rear tires installed and aligned. I don't think any burn outs in my car are in the future for me;-)

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...

Last edited by Mvy; 11-16-2018 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 2
cjm41752.50
scrammer420.50
      11-18-2018, 07:10 AM   #14
Pro-AM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

if you want to do a proper burnout, get a line-loc. its maybe $150 and you can shred your tires easily everytime w/o EXTRA stress on the trans
Appreciate 0